Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Purchasing used m9-help please

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Purchasing used m9-help please

JPizzle, given your earlier questions and concern about dust, you might think about saving up and buying new in the future. The lens runs $3700 plus, so for $3000 I'd expect some dust or something with the M9. In my opinion, the seller has given you a super deal assuming the camera works fine. If I wanted to go digital, I'd send you, or the original seller, $6700 for the kit right now. Part it out and make money if you don't like the cosmetics.

You posted this in a public forum, so I'm assuming you are okay with me sharing an opinion....

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know if lens dust is covered under warranty? Assuming it does transfer internationally or whatever...

Post Thanks / Like

Alright-so I got to make a decision and let the seller know. I either need to send both back or send them to nj for warranty service. I was told by a local leica dealer that nj ships many of the pieces to Solms and that turn around could be 6 months. Anyone know if this is true? I'm wondering if I should cut my loses and return everything even though I may never find a deal like this on the summilux again.. Eh, I really wish that he had been honest about the condition of the camera...Even glue is showing from the back where the leatherette meets the lcd. So i'm deff more interested in keeping the package due to the lens value rather then the camera at this point.

-Mikel just saw your post-I don't mind at all-opinions are what i'm looking for. I'm just trying to figure out if the condition is worth the price savings. When you hear excellent condition from a seller and it ends up coming in what I would call "fair" condition-It's really really upsetting-so it's trying to wrap myself around keeping a product that I would not have bought in the first place....The only thing keeping me from returning it fully now is the deal on the lens.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What is wrong with the camera that requires service?

As stated before, warranty is not transferrable....dust? Did I really read that?

Post Thanks / Like

Hah monza-so far it's all the cosmetic stuff-the biggest thing being dust under the lcd, in the rangefinder window, the glue from the leatherette showing, a big speck of dust in the lens. I know to some it doesn't matter, but I really take good care of my valuables so it's annoying to say the least.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

If that annoys you, you can always get it cleaned. It doesn't need to go to Solms for that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
    Hah monza-so far it's all the cosmetic stuff-the biggest thing being dust under the lcd, in the rangefinder window, the glue from the leatherette showing, a big speck of dust in the lens. I know to some it doesn't matter, but I really take good care of my valuables so it's annoying to say the least.
    It sounds to me that you've just got yourself an incredibly good deal - almost indecently so - even if the camera value is marginal, the lens is an absolute killer.

I'm sure you can get the cosmetic issues dealt with if they bug you (for a price and some waiting) but if you've got the two together for around $7000 then you've done incrediblywell.

Enjoy!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The dust probably wont even show on any shots if you take them at f1.4

Im of the opinion that its the end results that matter not the exterior looks.

look at this :

Post Thanks / Like

That looks just like the one I got! hah

I'm still thinking this over-Like everyone has said the deal with the lens is what makes this worth considering...Thanks again for the replies. Sometimes people end up being aggressive in forums and being condescending to the OP-especially when the standards of what is acceptable differs then their own. So I do appreciate people staying helpful and supportive.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That looks just like the one I got! hah

I'm still thinking this over-Like everyone has said the deal with the lens is what makes this worth considering...Thanks again for the replies. Sometimes people end up being aggressive in forums and being condescending to the OP-especially when the standards of what is acceptable differs then their own. So I do appreciate people staying helpful and supportive.
    Well. I understand so well that it's disappointing when something isn't perfect. Especially when it's expensive!
    You might think about upgrading the camera to an
    M9p. That way you get all the cosmetics issues sorted, plus a sapphire glass LCD screen.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

JP , for the record, if I had paid 6 grand for that Film M I Wouldbe pissed off

just enjoy shooting and see what the pics look like, if they knock your socks off , keep it, if not resell it to someone here or return it for a refund

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll post some pics soon of the camera and the shots it took. i'm sure i'll end up selling the camera down the line-the lens-unless I switch systems or get something like a 35 lux asph, would be sticking around. I thought of the m9p upgrade, but don't want to throw 2k into a camera that has the same internals as what I have, especially since it's 3 years old and that 2k can go towards an m10 perhaps. thanks for the suggestion though!

Post Thanks / Like

3 years old! mine is 6 ( M8 )

Post Thanks / Like

It appears like you are getting cold feet because of some inconsequential dust. I'm not sure that waiting for an M10 is necessarily a good idea, it may turn out to be an over complicated high tech gizmo that moves too far away from the age old simplicity of the 'M'. One of the key reason's people buy them. If I had your doubts I'd send it back, and from reading your posts I don't think it sounds like the camera is for you.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, this might not be the one for me, we'll see. the lens is causing me some concern in that it doesn't look like dust, but something else. reflective...i'll try to photograph it.
    Anyone here live in the Philadelphia area-I want someone to look at the lens-there's what i thought was a piece of dust but its reflective and kinda like a strand. The two guys at the photo store couldn't figure out what it was. One guy said it was dust. I want to make sure that it's nothing more. I could always drive to leica in north jers if no one is around here who may know better then me. Thx

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

You'd be surprised how visible dust and dirt in lenses has absolutely no effect on photos.

Check this out.

Post Thanks / Like

My concern is that it might be something other then dust-perhaps a crack-It doesn't look like dust. But can't see how it could be anything else-pic coming soon

Post Thanks / Like

Some pics of it-

Post Thanks / Like

JP, I think you need to return this gear and buy new stuff

my main lens is a cron 50 from 1964 and it has a few cleaning marks and scratches , and if I stop down too much to say f8 i see lots of dirt ( I use a clone tool in Lightroom to remove them however) .

for the price you paid you can get a M9 body froma dealer witha warranty and then get a new lens like a zeiss planar or a summarit 50/2.5

I can sense from your posts that you are a bit miffed at the condition of the gear, and for 6 grand , Id return it

just my 2 cents canadian

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Trade me your M9 and lux for what you paid, against an M9 and a perfect cron with warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks -dude-i'm considering it.

Monza-like you said the warranty isn't transferable

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

JP

you have a camera and lens that will defy your best efforts for years to come...a little scratch...a little dust....what does this signify in your universe.

So you did not get the deal of the century...did any of us here expect that to be the outcome of this story of desire and pathos?

Take the sucker out and shoot it until you cannot get your eyes to focus...then get a bit of sleep and do it all over.

Read a little about the previous generation of Leica shooters:

http://www.life.com/gallery/41902/im...m-1965#index/0

Warranty is something you hope to never need...at your purchase price you can kick this around the block and still afford to get it updated. Either you are in for the picture or you are looking for a gold talisman...go for the pics...a 50 Summilux and an M9 are pretty much at the top of the list...unless you want to do the MF S2-P gig. Consider 4 times the money and file size...not a bit better picture .... unless you are doing billboards.

You are being baited to sell off a good deal for a respectable one....do yourself a favor and take a breather....nothing you have shown will show up in your captures. Talk to Sherry Krauter or Don Goldberg about options if your lens needs work.

Six thousand dollars is a lot but Leica lenses last a lifetime. Digital cameras will be commodities but oh do they image well.

Just a few thoughts...

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks -dude-i'm considering it.

Monza-like you said the warranty isn't transferable
    No, they aren't. But there are used Leica warranties, and new factory warranties...each have specific warranty cards.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bob, I really needed to hear that and get past the gear and take some photos. I started really shooting with it and enjoying it-and forgot all about the scratches and whatnot. I guess it's kinda hard when putting in so much cash. I'm going to take a breather like you said and see what happens. I told the seller i'd have an answer by tuesday. Thanks for the advice from you and everyone.

JP

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Best plan.

Post Thanks / Like

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you want any lens (or viewfinder) to look bad, shine a strong light down it. Seriously, it is really the kind of test that no lens will pass, except for one straight from the factory. Cleaning a sensor is not hard and you will need to learn to do that yourself.

Take a deep breath. Take some pictures. Nothing you have said seems that bad...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on how you define 'pass.' Nearly every lens will have some dust, which is meaningless and affects nothing.

An LED light is the best way to reveal flaws like haze or fungus, which often are completely invisible to the eye otherwise. This is important when evaluating vintage lenses, as haze can seriously reduce contrast.

I don't see anything in the pics above that would affect photos at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like you got a tremendous deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds like you got a great deal. Take it out and shoot!

Post Thanks / Like

thx guys! Yea wasn't sure if leicas were exempt from that dust expectation.

Some quick pics of the pup-I don't think I was able to get it focused right where I want (eyes) and WB a little warm-still trying to adjust to rangefinders-I think it's all at 1.4. I like the quality so far

It's funny trying to perfect the focusing for sharpness on a RF-deff makes photography more fun
    Last edited by JPizzzle; 14th January 2012 at 23:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    JP, I think you need to return this gear and buy new stuff

my main lens is a cron 50 from 1964 and it has a few cleaning marks and scratches , and if I stop down too much to say f8 i see lots of dirt ( I use a clone tool in Lightroom to remove them however) .
    That will be dust on your sensor, not in or on the lens. No dust on the lens elements will show up in a photograph no matter how small an aperture you use on your 50mm Summicron. It is possible that things like water droplets show up if they are on the front of a very wide angle lens because they act as a lens themselves, but even a larger numbers of scratches and dust and dings in the glass will only cause a drop in contrast.

The reason dust on your sensor shows up when you stop down is not because it is being put into focus with the increased DOF. Rather it is because when the lens is wide open the path of the light rays is very wide and light gets under the dust by coming in at an acute angle to the sensor surface. But as you stop down the light path becomes narrow and instead causes the dust to make a shadow on the sensor. So it is the shadow of the dust you can see, not a photograph of the dust itself.

Try a wet clean of your sensor and you should be able to stop down to f16 and not see any dust in the lens in the photograph. You will at least see that the dust moves around between cleaning proving its not the dust in the lens.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Glad JP that you are just taking it for a breather and a spin. The effect of the dust will not be noticeable when you see what that combo can deliver. My rollei has multiple scratches and one 2mm round smudge in the coating. Lotsa dust between the elements. I took some photos side by side with another with a pristine lens, and I couldn't see differences in the prints. I put a groundglass on the back of each to look at flare (i.e. don't point it here). Again, no noticeable (on groundglass or prints) difference between them.

A new one would get dust in spots pretty quick. When you notice this dust, remind yourself what a great deal you got on this combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't want to be rude, but this thread is so unreal. Like someone twittering every thought about a purchase. Most entertaining. Please continue.

Cheers

Georg

PS: I am always amused if folks buy second hand at prices significantly below new (and in this case below market value used) and then expect like-new-out-of-the-box.

PPS: I am glad I am not the seller. I buyer like this would have driven me nuts. I would have asked to return the camera and returned the cash just to get my peace. Life is short.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. I'll try that

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Try a wet clean of your sensor and you should be able to stop down to f16 and not see any dust in the lens in the photograph. You will at least see that the dust moves around between cleaning proving its not the dust in the lens.

Steve
    The best tips for cleaining a sensor that I got are these: (1) Go to the desktop on your windows PC in the blue windows color (or open a file in a light blue color), set the camera to f16 and move it slightly while taking a pic of the blue backround. Then open photo in LR and jack up clarity and vibrance and you will see everyhing and know exactly where the dyrt is. Much better than a lupe. (2) For cleaning, put the camera on a tripod so that you don't have to hold it why you clean it.

Post Thanks / Like

JP did you end up keeping it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    JP did you end up keeping it?

Hey,
    Sorry for the lack of updates. I did end up keeping it! The seller actually took $200 off the price of the camera-very happy! Thanks for all the help everyone! It's been really great to get some great advice with this decision from so many good people on here
    Last edited by JPizzzle; 19th January 2012 at 20:36.