The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Purchasing used m9-help please

stephengilbert

"Also, his warranty states that it's a 3 year warranty for the m9-isn't the warranty typically 2 years?"

Are Leica warranties transferable in the US?

SYGTAFOTO

Just a general comment for you from what I think might be also reflect some other folks who responded here.

What more advice do you need if you have the camera and lens in your hand?
Isn't it just a matter of trying them out and seeing if it's what you were looking for?
From what you said, you need to do more testing, so if you don't know the condition of the camera, then we sure don't. As for warranty, since you said you also have the receipt, it's only a phone call away.
Have fun shooting.

ps. Can you please forward me his email so that I can ask if he has any other Leica M lenses available for sale?

JPizzzle

I still have testing to do on the camera, my point was based on the dust under the lcd and cosmetics.
Also dust in the rangefinder window.-Am i being crazy not expecting these things!?

Yes, it's the 50mm lux asph

Also, does anyone know why his warranty is a passport and states 3 years-instead of 2? Wasn't passport ended in the us?

I guess my concern is that I didn't expect the cosmetic issues since he said it only had a scratch on the lcd and I found a lot of other things. Is $4700 for the m9 still a good price considering this -excuse my ignorance-I don't know how much this stuff effects value.

SYGTAFOTO

"Work with the buyer?" Meaning telling Leica that he still owns the camera?

Isn't that fraud? (Hint: yes, it is.)
Fraud, sure.
Would Leica file charges if they somehow found out? Likely not. Will they deny service? Likely. How likely is it that they find out? Not unless someone tells. Not that I fully support this, this does happen in real life all the time.

If I bought an item from a friend which has manufacturer's warranty and the item needs warranty repair, my friend would do it for me. So my definition of "work with the buyer" means maintaining a good relationship so if anything happens, you have the seller who's willing to do it on your behalf.

Whether it is going against manufacturer's warranty policy, I've seen sellers in the past who openly stated that they will support future warranty repairs if required, especially on high dollar items. This takes loads off of buyer's back and the seller actually retains more value as warranty work is still valid. It's a win/win for both seller/buyer in most cases. That's the real situation.

fotografz

M9s go for $5,500. to $6,000. give or take. If they have a year or more warranty left, it'd be worth more toward the top end, no warranty, about $5,300. to $5,500 or so if in decent condition. You are at least $600. to $800 to the good.

If the camera and lens works, just go with it. Who cares if there is a little scratch on the LCD? Doesn't affect performance in the least.

Heck, if you are all bothered by it, sell the 50/1.4 Lux ASPH, put $2,000. into Leica's total redo for a new top, base and hardened glass LCD with a new warranty... and use the remaining $2,000. to get the lens you originally planned on.

But I wouldn't. I would have bought this package just to get the 50mm and then sold off the M9 for $5,000. :D

-Marc

250swb

Also, does anyone know why his warranty is a passport and states 3 years-instead of 2? Wasn't passport ended in the us?
What documentation do you have for that? If it is a genuine Passport then it is transferable during the Passport period, then it defaults to a worldwide warranty for the following year. So you could say the overall warranty with a Passport is two years. If you are within that first year period send it to Leica for a clean to sort out the dust. This is supposing the camera has been registered in the first place. You could call Leica and ask if you are covered. Otherwise the warranty will cover usual mechanical problems. If there are fundamental mechanical problems not down to normal use after the warranty period, such as cracked sensor etc, Leica usually deal with these anyway without quibbling.

Personally from the price paid I wouldn't worry about the cosmetic scratches although I appreciate that if they weren't declared it is frustrating. I get the impression that the person selling it isn't very knowledgeable about cameras and just doesn't see them. I bet if you asked about the condition of his car he would say 'mint', but only if you ignored the scratches and dents on the bumpers.

Of course after a few years and it maybe is starting to get shabby from heavy use you can upgrade the camera to an M9-P and it will come back virtually brand new, new body and LCD and everything, all the visible bits are exchanged.

Steve

JPizzzle

It states "Leica 3 year passport protection plan and limited warranty" customers copy with the bottom taken off.

Transferable during the passport period? Even in the US? It states on the warranty-the leica 3 year passport protection plan and limited warranty is non transferable in bold red. This would be great if otherwise. But I don't know all the details. Leica usa today of course said that their is no international warranty transfer and didn't know what I was talking about.

He did register the camera within the appropriate time frame-when I spoke to leica they looked up the serials. The dust under the lcd is annoying -not that it's a fantastic lcd and in the rangefinder window. I don't notice it but i know it's there. This is prob bothering me more then others would since this is my most expensive purchase other then my car-which is a porsche (boxster s) but still! lol

I'm going to bring it by a leica dealer tomorrow to check it out for any obvious mechanical things. After this, By the time I can afford an m9p i'll prob just get the m12 :).

edit: also now found a giant piece of dust in the lens (confirmed with the flashlight test)

I'm taking some pics and will be able to give my impressions of those tonight-maybe post a few for those interested.

Last edited:

mikel

JPizzle, given your earlier questions and concern about dust, you might think about saving up and buying new in the future. The lens runs $3700 plus, so for $3000 I'd expect some dust or something with the M9. In my opinion, the seller has given you a super deal assuming the camera works fine. If I wanted to go digital, I'd send you, or the original seller, $6700 for the kit right now. Part it out and make money if you don't like the cosmetics.

You posted this in a public forum, so I'm assuming you are okay with me sharing an opinion....

JPizzzle

Alright-so I got to make a decision and let the seller know. I either need to send both back or send them to nj for warranty service. I was told by a local leica dealer that nj ships many of the pieces to Solms and that turn around could be 6 months. Anyone know if this is true? I'm wondering if I should cut my loses and return everything even though I may never find a deal like this on the summilux again.. Eh, I really wish that he had been honest about the condition of the camera...Even glue is showing from the back where the leatherette meets the lcd. So i'm deff more interested in keeping the package due to the lens value rather then the camera at this point.

-Mikel just saw your post-I don't mind at all-opinions are what i'm looking for. I'm just trying to figure out if the condition is worth the price savings. When you hear excellent condition from a seller and it ends up coming in what I would call "fair" condition-It's really really upsetting-so it's trying to wrap myself around keeping a product that I would not have bought in the first place....The only thing keeping me from returning it fully now is the deal on the lens.

monza

What is wrong with the camera that requires service?

As stated before, warranty is not transferrable....dust? Did I really read that? ;)

JPizzzle

Hah monza-so far it's all the cosmetic stuff-the biggest thing being dust under the lcd, in the rangefinder window, the glue from the leatherette showing, a big speck of dust in the lens. I know to some it doesn't matter, but I really take good care of my valuables so it's annoying to say the least.

jonoslack

Hah monza-so far it's all the cosmetic stuff-the biggest thing being dust under the lcd, in the rangefinder window, the glue from the leatherette showing, a big speck of dust in the lens. I know to some it doesn't matter, but I really take good care of my valuables so it's annoying to say the least.
It sounds to me that you've just got yourself an incredibly good deal - almost indecently so - even if the camera value is marginal, the lens is an absolute killer.

I'm sure you can get the cosmetic issues dealt with if they bug you (for a price and some waiting) but if you've got the two together for around $7000 then you've done incrediblywell.

Enjoy!

all the best

dude163

The dust probably wont even show on any shots if you take them at f1.4 :)

Im of the opinion that its the end results that matter not the exterior looks.

look at this :) :

JPizzzle

That looks just like the one I got! hah

I'm still thinking this over-Like everyone has said the deal with the lens is what makes this worth considering...Thanks again for the replies. Sometimes people end up being aggressive in forums and being condescending to the OP-especially when the standards of what is acceptable differs then their own. So I do appreciate people staying helpful and supportive. :)

jonoslack

That looks just like the one I got! hah

I'm still thinking this over-Like everyone has said the deal with the lens is what makes this worth considering...Thanks again for the replies. Sometimes people end up being aggressive in forums and being condescending to the OP-especially when the standards of what is acceptable differs then their own. So I do appreciate people staying helpful and supportive. :)
Well. I understand so well that it's disappointing when something isn't perfect. Especially when it's expensive!
You might think about upgrading the camera to an
M9p. That way you get all the cosmetics issues sorted, plus a sapphire glass LCD screen.