The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Purchasing used m9-help please

dude163

JP , for the record, if I had paid 6 grand for that Film M I Wouldbe pissed off :)

just enjoy shooting and see what the pics look like, if they knock your socks off , keep it, if not resell it to someone here or return it for a refund

JPizzzle

Thanks, I'll post some pics soon of the camera and the shots it took. i'm sure i'll end up selling the camera down the line-the lens-unless I switch systems or get something like a 35 lux asph, would be sticking around. I thought of the m9p upgrade, but don't want to throw 2k into a camera that has the same internals as what I have, especially since it's 3 years old and that 2k can go towards an m10 perhaps. thanks for the suggestion though!

250swb

It appears like you are getting cold feet because of some inconsequential dust. I'm not sure that waiting for an M10 is necessarily a good idea, it may turn out to be an over complicated high tech gizmo that moves too far away from the age old simplicity of the 'M'. One of the key reason's people buy them. If I had your doubts I'd send it back, and from reading your posts I don't think it sounds like the camera is for you.

Steve

JPizzzle

yeah, this might not be the one for me, we'll see. the lens is causing me some concern in that it doesn't look like dust, but something else. reflective...i'll try to photograph it.
Anyone here live in the Philadelphia area-I want someone to look at the lens-there's what i thought was a piece of dust but its reflective and kinda like a strand. The two guys at the photo store couldn't figure out what it was. One guy said it was dust. I want to make sure that it's nothing more. I could always drive to leica in north jers if no one is around here who may know better then me. Thx

JPizzzle

My concern is that it might be something other then dust-perhaps a crack-It doesn't look like dust. But can't see how it could be anything else-pic coming soon

dude163

JP, I think you need to return this gear and buy new stuff

my main lens is a cron 50 from 1964 and it has a few cleaning marks and scratches , and if I stop down too much to say f8 i see lots of dirt ( I use a clone tool in Lightroom to remove them however) .

for the price you paid you can get a M9 body froma dealer witha warranty and then get a new lens like a zeiss planar or a summarit 50/2.5

I can sense from your posts that you are a bit miffed at the condition of the gear, and for 6 grand , Id return it

just my 2 cents canadian

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
JP

you have a camera and lens that will defy your best efforts for years to come...a little scratch...a little dust....what does this signify in your universe.

So you did not get the deal of the century...did any of us here expect that to be the outcome of this story of desire and pathos?

Take the sucker out and shoot it until you cannot get your eyes to focus...then get a bit of sleep and do it all over.

Read a little about the previous generation of Leica shooters:

http://www.life.com/gallery/41902/image/92940017/never-seen-life-in-vietnam-1965#index/0

Warranty is something you hope to never need...at your purchase price you can kick this around the block and still afford to get it updated. Either you are in for the picture or you are looking for a gold talisman...go for the pics...a 50 Summilux and an M9 are pretty much at the top of the list...unless you want to do the MF S2-P gig. Consider 4 times the money and file size...not a bit better picture .... unless you are doing billboards.

You are being baited to sell off a good deal for a respectable one....do yourself a favor and take a breather....nothing you have shown will show up in your captures. Talk to Sherry Krauter or Don Goldberg about options if your lens needs work.

Six thousand dollars is a lot but Leica lenses last a lifetime. Digital cameras will be commodities but oh do they image well.

Just a few thoughts...

Bob

JPizzzle

Thanks bob, I really needed to hear that and get past the gear and take some photos. I started really shooting with it and enjoying it-and forgot all about the scratches and whatnot. I guess it's kinda hard when putting in so much cash. I'm going to take a breather like you said and see what happens. I told the seller i'd have an answer by tuesday. Thanks for the advice from you and everyone.

JP

Shashin

If you want any lens (or viewfinder) to look bad, shine a strong light down it. Seriously, it is really the kind of test that no lens will pass, except for one straight from the factory. Cleaning a sensor is not hard and you will need to learn to do that yourself.

Take a deep breath. Take some pictures. Nothing you have said seems that bad...

monza

It really depends on how you define 'pass.' Nearly every lens will have some dust, which is meaningless and affects nothing.

An LED light is the best way to reveal flaws like haze or fungus, which often are completely invisible to the eye otherwise. This is important when evaluating vintage lenses, as haze can seriously reduce contrast.

I don't see anything in the pics above that would affect photos at all.