The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Purchasing used m9-help please

JPizzzle

thx guys! Yea wasn't sure if leicas were exempt from that dust expectation.

Some quick pics of the pup-I don't think I was able to get it focused right where I want (eyes) and WB a little warm-still trying to adjust to rangefinders-I think it's all at 1.4. I like the quality so far :)

It's funny trying to perfect the focusing for sharpness on a RF-deff makes photography more fun :D

Last edited:

250swb

JP, I think you need to return this gear and buy new stuff

my main lens is a cron 50 from 1964 and it has a few cleaning marks and scratches , and if I stop down too much to say f8 i see lots of dirt ( I use a clone tool in Lightroom to remove them however) .
That will be dust on your sensor, not in or on the lens. No dust on the lens elements will show up in a photograph no matter how small an aperture you use on your 50mm Summicron. It is possible that things like water droplets show up if they are on the front of a very wide angle lens because they act as a lens themselves, but even a larger numbers of scratches and dust and dings in the glass will only cause a drop in contrast.

The reason dust on your sensor shows up when you stop down is not because it is being put into focus with the increased DOF. Rather it is because when the lens is wide open the path of the light rays is very wide and light gets under the dust by coming in at an acute angle to the sensor surface. But as you stop down the light path becomes narrow and instead causes the dust to make a shadow on the sensor. So it is the shadow of the dust you can see, not a photograph of the dust itself.

Try a wet clean of your sensor and you should be able to stop down to f16 and not see any dust in the lens in the photograph. You will at least see that the dust moves around between cleaning proving its not the dust in the lens.

Steve

mikel

Glad JP that you are just taking it for a breather and a spin. The effect of the dust will not be noticeable when you see what that combo can deliver. My rollei has multiple scratches and one 2mm round smudge in the coating. Lotsa dust between the elements. I took some photos side by side with another with a pristine lens, and I couldn't see differences in the prints. I put a groundglass on the back of each to look at flare (i.e. don't point it here). Again, no noticeable (on groundglass or prints) difference between them.

A new one would get dust in spots pretty quick. When you notice this dust, remind yourself what a great deal you got on this combo.

GMB

:OT: Don't want to be rude, but this thread is so unreal. :bugeyes: Like someone twittering every thought about a purchase. Most entertaining. :thumbs: Please continue.

Cheers

Georg

PS: I am always amused if folks buy second hand at prices significantly below new (and in this case below market value used) and then expect like-new-out-of-the-box.

PPS: I am glad I am not the seller. I buyer like this would have driven me nuts. I would have asked to return the camera and returned the cash just to get my peace. Life is short.

GMB

Try a wet clean of your sensor and you should be able to stop down to f16 and not see any dust in the lens in the photograph. You will at least see that the dust moves around between cleaning proving its not the dust in the lens.

Steve
The best tips for cleaining a sensor that I got are these: (1) Go to the desktop on your windows PC in the blue windows color (or open a file in a light blue color), set the camera to f16 and move it slightly while taking a pic of the blue backround. Then open photo in LR and jack up clarity and vibrance and you will see everyhing and know exactly where the dyrt is. Much better than a lupe. (2) For cleaning, put the camera on a tripod so that you don't have to hold it why you clean it.

JPizzzle

JP did you end up keeping it?

Hey,
Sorry for the lack of updates. I did end up keeping it! The seller actually took $200 off the price of the camera-very happy! Thanks for all the help everyone! It's been really great to get some great advice with this decision from so many good people on here

Last edited: