The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

shooting with a .95 vs. 1.4lux asph

gooomz

i have been rocking with a .95 with my m9 for quite about a year now and while i do love it (not for sale for sure), sometimes i wonder if i am better serve this a smaller, lighter weight, easier to focus, less obtrusive 1.4 lux asph.

just wondering if any one here has experienced the same thing in heavily debating if the .95 if worth all the"hassle" when 1.4 creates such great bokeh already.

why hassle with the hefty .95 when a 1.4 does pretty much the same thing?

i just want to have a 1 lens kit and have the 1 lens on my m9 24/7 and the .95 can be big at times.

any insight would be appreciated.

btw. i love the .95 i guess i am just debating in my mind if it is overkill and i have a feeling i am not the first shooter to go through this thought process.
thanks

ohnri

My standard lens is the f/1 Noct.

I never feel any other 50 mm lens could substitute for it.

But, the 50 'lux probably does everything the 0.95 Noct does from f/1.4 and smaller.

But why use a slow lens when knowing how to blend in makes a far greater difference than changing your lens does?

Best,

Bill

jonoslack

Well . . . I have both of these lenses, and I'm afraid that you have no escape - the only correct answer is to buy the 50 'lux as well - sometimes the closer focus is important, sometimes the smaller size is important . . . sometimes the wider aperture and softer bokeh of the noctilux.

Perhaps these are 2 of the best lenses ever made . . . why on earth don't you need them both?

gooomz

"But why use a slow lens when knowing how to blend in makes a far greater difference than changing your lens does?"

not sure what you mean exactly.

can you please clarify?

thanks

Double Negative

Not Available
I haven't used the 0.95, but the 50mm f/1.1 Nokton - and the Lux. Honestly, the 0.95 has the performance wide open (and beyond) that the Nokton simply does not. And I usually shoot it at f/1.4 for several reasons. So - no contest in my case. The Lux is the way to go (and my Nokton is for sale). The Lux is my default lens, period.

if I had an 0.95, sure I'd be tempted to use it as my default lens (especially for the cost). But big, fast lenses are fun to play with and exploit (or necessary...) but I like having a less bulky setup more often than not. Certainly not as extreme to choose nothing but Summicrons and Elmarits though. :p

SYGTAFOTO

It's personal preference really. Noctilux and Summilux have their own pros and cons.
Compare their strengths and weaknesses and choose the one that best suits your needs.
If you have deep pockets, having both would be fun too. :)

As for me, 50 summilux ASPH has a higher value and would rather put rest of the money towards 24mm summilux ASPH that would have gone towards the f/0.95 Noctilux... that is if I have the money to begin with :eek:

d.clin.design

I have both and I use them both. It usually comes down to what's currently on the camera as well as what I plan on doing that day. The Noct, though bigger and heavier, is still a lot smaller and lighter on a M9 than a full on DSLR. I typically take the Noct out if I know I will be out until the evening or doing more in door, poor lighting shots. If I'm just shooting street, I typically use the 'lux. Less hassle dealing with nd filters especially when you want to shoot it wide open. Not to mention, shooting street and moving objects at f/0.95 is fairly difficult on nailing the focus.

ohnri

"But why use a slow lens when knowing how to blend in makes a far greater difference than changing your lens does?"

not sure what you mean exactly.

can you please clarify?

thanks
That's because I was not remotely clear.

You mentioned "less obtrusive" as a reason to use the 'lux.

My point was that your behavior and mannerisms will matter far more than the difference between these two lenses when it comes to being more or less obtrusive.

Personally, I don't see much between them and would be unlikely to have both. But others own both and feel they each suit a different purpose.

Sounds like it depends more on your personality than any other factor.

Certainly, no one here, myself included, would fault you for buying the 'lux.

Of course, getting something that gives a different look, like the Zeiss f/1.5, may be more rewarding.

Best,

Bill