Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review

Added today is the Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review.

If you truly wanted to buy only one lens for your camera, this (or the slightly wider Summilux -M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH FLE ) would make ideal candidates for modern, care-free, high-quality mechanical and optical performance when nothing less will do.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review

Can you explain the care-free part? Not sure to understand...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    Can you explain the care-free part? Not sure to understand...
    Easy. The two current competitors to the Summilux are the Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM and Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 Nokton. Both have focus shift and vary slightly (the Sonnar shifts as you open up, Nokton shifts as you stop down). The Summilux has no focus shift whatsoever (thanks to the FLE). Therefore - "care-free" to use and shoot however you want.

This is mentioned in the review as well, but I suppose it might not be clear.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I updated the review to use the word "carefree" as opposed to "care-free." This is perhaps a little more accurate, especially with the new site/content translation I added this morning.

I'm also quite chuffed to announce that Leica has picked up the review and will post it on their blog!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated the Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH review to include MTF, distortion and illumination charts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    I updated the review to use the word "carefree" as opposed to "care-free." This is perhaps a little more accurate, especially with the new site/content translation I added this morning.

I'm also quite chuffed to announce that Leica has picked up the review and will post it on their blog!
    I really appreciate your reviews. Thank you!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Clennan View Post
    I really appreciate your reviews. Thank you!
    Glad they're appreciated; thanks for saying so!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really like your reviews
    now if i could just afford that lens! do u think prices will ever drop on used ones?!

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    I really like your reviews
    now if i could just afford that lens! do u think prices will ever drop on used ones?!
    Thanks a lot, Moonshine!

I think once various "factors" in the market change, prices will level a bit. Most especially Leica production. If people can't buy new lenses, they'll look for used ones - and bad economies make it worse as well.

But I think one has to be realistic as to what the "average going rate" is or will be... Leica lenses are oddly like gold - the value just keeps going up. Heck, a lens I bought for <$800 not even two years ago regularly sells for $1,400 these days. My advice would be "buy as soon as you can" but keep an eye out for deals, as they do happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot, Moonshine!

I think once various "factors" in the market change, prices will level a bit. Most especially Leica production. If people can't buy new lenses, they'll look for used ones - and bad economies make it worse as well.

But I think one has to be realistic as to what the "average going rate" is or will be... Leica lenses are oddly like gold - the value just keeps going up. Heck, a lens I bought for <$800 not even two years ago regularly sells for $1,400 these days. My advice would be "buy as soon as you can" but keep an eye out for deals, as they do happen.
    thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot, Moonshine!

It's possible to find some good deals-I got a used silver 50 lux asph for $2000 still in warranty since I bought the m9 from the guy as well ($4500 for the m9 in fair condition)-unbelievable deal. Not the norm, but still possible...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
    It's possible to find some good deals-I got a used silver 50 lux asph for $2000 still in warranty since I bought the m9 from the guy as well ($4500 for the m9 in fair condition)-unbelievable deal. Not the norm, but still possible...
    Damn, that IS a deal!

I should say, "buy as soon as you can but don't be in a rush." Wait for the deals rather than jump on any ol' ad. It's when you're in a rush that you'll end up paying more than necessary. Especially when it comes to the latest and greatest new stuff (witness the $7k price tags on a $5k lens - 35 FLE).

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Our friends at the Leica Russia Blog liked the review and translated it into Russian!