The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Leak

robmac

It's funny (in a sad sort of way) how the Phase 'under the hood' and distribution suddenly brightened things up.... ;>

LJL

if it is truly faster overall that will make a lot of MF users actually add this to there system, now if there is a way to have lenses compatible between leica and Phase on this . Truly makes it even more appealing. For someone like me all i would add is the body for speed. Let's wait till all the announcements but maybe a chance at this also.
Guy,
Do not be too sure that this S2 could not steal a lot of MF interest. Think about it.....a camera more or less geared for more speed and handling in fashion and commercial shooting.....that covers an awful lot of the turf for many MF users. Having both CS/FPS shutters is a big plus.

Seriously, why would you only consider this as an add to your present stuff? I would think this S2 could effectively replace the majority of your shooting needs. I would think about that aspect, once we see more specs, images, etc. Why bother with the Mamiya glass at all if there is lighter, possibly better Leica glass to cart around? With the exception of those really wanting/needing the 50+MP backs for certain applications, 37.5 MP seems more than capable of delivering a lot of what most MF shooters use anyway.

This is getting more interesting the more one starts to think about possibilities. For example, I could see dumping all my Canon gear, save the 400mm f2.8L IS lens, add a 50D body to do the faster sport stuff, and take the S2 for essentially everything else I would be shooting. Cut the M8 down to three lenses or so purely for travel and fun, and pretty much use the S2 for almost everything. That is looking more like a solution I would enjoy.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Believe me not overlooking that either. I could use more speed. Just don't want to downgrade in anyway than what i have so we have to see all the specs and see where I sit overall. My 22mpx back may not have a chance against this but it sure is sweet today and can get real close to the P45 Plus. So it maybe marginally difference but if this has the speed i am after it would be a serious consideration. leica lenses will not be lighter in any way shape or form over the mamiya and they actually maybe a lot bigger 82mm filter size on the 70mm . The most i am is 77mm on a wide angle no less. We have to see what these lenses are going to be. Don't get your hopes up for lighter in anyway. leica does not do light weight

robsteve

Subscriber
From the Press release:

"The optic calculation incorporates all
the factors and requirements of digital technology, meaning that software to correct image
artifacts becomes superfluous. "

In other words, they are calling the Hasselblad lenses that do this crap :)

Robert

LJL

Believe me not overlooking that either. I could use more speed. Just don't want to downgrade in anyway than what i have so we have to see all the specs and see where I sit overall. My 22mpx back may not have a chance against this but it sure is sweet today and can get real close to the P45 Plus. So it maybe marginally difference but if this has the speed i am after it would be a serious consideration. leica lenses will not be lighter in any way shape or form over the mamiya and they actually maybe a lot bigger 82mm filter size on the 70mm . The most i am is 77mm on a wide angle no less. We have to see what these lenses are going to be. Don't get your hopes up for lighter in anyway. leica does not do light weight
O.K, maybe individual lenses may not be lighter, especially the CS lenses. However, if you are ONLY carrying Leica glass and not both Leica and Mamiya, you will probably not feel the weight in your bag as much (and surely not in your wallet either :ROTFL:), so the kit will have a lighter "virtual" weight.

Kidding aside....and not putting down any other glass and stuff out there. If Leica can deliver on this, they may have a strong following. I like that Phase will be handling most of the stuff that Leica has messed up before. I am still chafing a bit at the overall costs and unknowns, but for the next several months there should be plenty of time to see how things may work out and what kinds of kit one could assemble to cover most needs. This may actually turn out to be something worth waiting for.

LJ

John Black

The Hasselblad H3DII system is so close to this concept - more or less the camera and back are mated at birth never really intended to be separated. I keep expecting Hasselbald to announce something along the lines of the S2, but in Hasselblad dress. I'm surprised Leica got here first.

Guy Mancuso

Lets see if i can get all of this in one page.

Page 1 of 3 Reproduction free of charge, courtesy copy requested

Press release
September 2008 / Nr. 46e/08

Embargo Date: September 23, 2008

A new dimension for professionals
LEICA S2 – Radical new digital SLR camera system from Leica

Responding to the commercial needs of professional photographers, Leica Camera AG in
Solms will introduce the Leica S2 at photokina in Cologne (23rd-28th September 2008), a new
digital Leica SLR camera system for professional photographers. A new system concept has
been developed, entitled “Made in Solms”. For this camera concept, renowned professional
photographers have been involved in all parts of the development process. The outcome is a
system designed specifically to deliver the fastest, high end resolution work, requiring the
minimum of post production. Excellent news for commercial photographers seeking to
exceed demanding client expectations in a working time which allows improved income for
their talents.

Designed from scratch the new German made camera is ground breaking, as unlike most
other pro digital systems, it does not use a conventional medium format or 35mm plateform.
The LEICA S2 has a sensor size that exceeds the 35 mm format and incorporates many of the
advantages of professional systems. The new 37 mega pixels CCD sensor with a breathtaking
image resolution will produce images at the top of the professional game for a number of
years. In particular, the lenses set new performance benchmarks enabling the sensor to
overdeliver per pixel. The pixels are distributed on a sensor 56% larger than full size 35mm.

The compact design and handy metal body is smaller than those of comparative products
from different manufacturers. Ergonomic and a pleasure to use, the camera is set to become
a professional photographer´s favourite. The camera´s bespoke sensor has enabled the
Leica designers to produce the smallest camera in its class.

Guy Mancuso

Page 2 and 3

Page 2 of 3 Reproduction free of charge, courtesy copy requested

It´s super modern new and innovative processing technology is twice as quick. The Leica
“MAESTRO” image processor developed with Fujitsu specifically for the LEICA S2, allows the
camera´s lenses, firmware and sensor to function at their optimum. It produces market
leading processing time and the highest level of picture quality with minimal energy output. It
enables picture quality and super quick transfer time with minimal energy output.

In spite of the sensor size, the extremely compact body is fully protected against dust and
splashes. For this class of camera, the LEICA S2 has a particularly precise and quick
autofocus system that makes focusing easier. The large, bright viewfinder makes picture
composition easy. Taking many pictures in quick succession is also possible, and there is a
high sensitivity setting to use when lighting is problematic.

New lenses designed specially to suit the demands of this format offer unrivalled imaging
quality and set new benchmarks for the camera market as a whole. Thus the LEICA S2 lens
system meets the needs of professional photographers. The optic calculation incorporates all
the factors and requirements of digital technology, meaning that software to correct image
artifacts becomes superfluous.

The constant high image quality is present right into the corners of the images, from close up
to infinity. Even at wide apertures, maximal contrast, high resolution and detailed colour
reproduction are guaranteed. The between-the-lens shutters in some of the system lenses
enable lightning fast synchronisation for the quickest possible exposure time. The quick and
precise autofocus of the Leica S lenses can be adjusted manually at any time. Like the
camera, the lenses are made from metal and come with a weatherproof seal. The lenses are
thus particularly robust and protected from dust and dampness.

The LEICA S2 is particularly easy to handle and choosing the settings is pretty much intuitive.
Ergonomically designed, the body sits comfortably in the hand whether in vertical or
horizontal position. The bright, high-resolution display with quick zoom-in function enables

Page 3 of 3 Reproduction free of charge, courtesy copy requested

exposures to be seen perfectly even in daylight. The camera concept can be integrated
seamlessly into the professional digital workflow.

With Dr. Andreas Kaufmann as its main shareholder, Leica Camera AG is entering a new era.
Following in-depth and successful re-structuring, the business can now concentrate on
investing in new products. Leica has made a quantum leap in the field of digital technology,
enabling it to combine the advantages of highly developed digital technology with the classic
Leica values concerning optics, mechanics and optimal image results. The result of this is
uncompromising cutting-edge technology; the LEICA S2 is the first to offer all these things to
professional digital photographers. The LEICA S system sets the trend for future Leica
products in terms of technology and leads the way for future product ideas from Leica
Camera AG.

Contact partners for editorial staff:
Sandra Looke / tel. (direct) ext. 404 / fax (direct) ext. 455 / [email protected]
Michael Agel / tel. (direct) ext. 406 / fax (direct) ext. 455 / [email protected]
Ralph Hagenauer/ tel. (direct) ext. 152 / fax (direct) ext. 455 / [email protected]

Page 2

woodyspedden

What I take out of all of this is that Phase is everywhere! They have their alliance with Mamiya and now a ready for market (Hopefully) product from Leica. I applaud Phase for really reaching out to a wider technology market (and partners) and becoming the de facto leader in the MFDB world. The only place they haven't and will not be able to reach is into the proprietary Hasselblad world.

This MFDB market is going to get really interesting!!

Woody

woodyspedden

Interesting that of all the images of the new system (one which I know I will love) there is none of the back of the camera. I hope that doesn't mean there is a small LCD display instead of a world class one a la the Nikon 900,000 pixel unit.

Woody

lmr

Wow... extremely interesting read in the Leica S2 pages. & Thanks to Guy for posting it here. It is going to be an amazing system.... need to look at the pricing...

I also noticed the DMR is not mentioned in the R system pages. Does this mean that the DMR had a quiet death? ... and R system will soon to follow? Speculation or is teh writing on the wall?

Robert.

robmac

Yup, Phamiya and now Phaleica. Looks like they're pulling with both oars in the water. Gives Phase additional fab utilization, a different form factor yet still MF, access to Leica optic tech (and diversification of glass) and some negotiating strength with Mamiya in case the latter gets difficult at any juncture moving fwd.

If they can ever get the Mamiya and Leica glass folks to shake hands across the table, thing could get very interesting for Phase shooters.

My gut? Time will show that the S WILL BE/IS the new R

robsteve

Subscriber
Wow... extremely interesting read in the Leica S2 pages. & Thanks to Guy for posting it here. It is going to be an amazing system.... need to look at the pricing...

I also noticed the DMR is not mentioned in the R system pages. Does this mean that the DMR had a quiet death? ... and R system will soon to follow? Speculation or is teh writing on the wall?

Robert.
The DMR was sold out a year or so ago. Since it was made by Imacon, now owned by Hasseblad, it was probably not possible to make a new batch.

In the Leica presentation today, they mentioned the R system is alive and well, building on the S system technology. An autofocus R10 and some cheaper R alternatives will be announced sometime in the future.

robmac

From the artists drawings, looks like a typical Phase P_ back screen - button type as well (4 bar style buttons, two per side).

Interesting that of all the images of the new system (one which I know I will love) there is none of the back of the camera. I hope that doesn't mean there is a small LCD display instead of a world class one a la the Nikon 900,000 pixel unit.

Woody

robmac

Rob - I read that as well, but putting my wager in early that come 1-2 years from now we'll all wonder when the R line was allowed to die (press release promises, for what they're ever worth, aside). Call it a gut feeling.

Rob Steve:

"In the Leica presentation today, they mentioned the R system is alive and well with a R10 and some cheaper R alternatives in the future.[/QUOTE]"