The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Leak

paulmoore

at first I was not thrilled with the 3:2 ratio.. yet I used to shoot the 6x9 roll film back a lot
so maybe this will grow on me... and why no mention of R lenses... I am having doubts
that it will work.. as r10 is coming next year.. I think we are looking at a S mount camera - lots of questions and little cash, but eager to see the whole picture

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I sent Leica a note on getting the press releases. Not sure there even talking to me but at least it was asked for the forum.

atanabe

This is an entirely new system, the last of the ousted CEO. Kind of hard to turn a ship around in a storm and still come out with a product for Photokina so I assume that they went forward with the release. $18,000 is what I have heard for the US kit.

P

pascal_meheut

$18,000 seems reasonable. I heard around 15,000 EUR for the body and 1 lens. But that was 1 month ago.

atanabe

It is expected Summer 2009. If trickle down works, a FF R10 as well that uses all R lenses and some new AF lenses.

robmac

Their continuing reluctance to say anything informative about an R10 is getting to the point of silly. How many times do they expect R owners to have to hear 'it's coming..." as the big DSLR players keep raising the bar (sensor/$$ wise) before they throw in the towel? Odd.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Let's not forget that the DMR was announced well over a year before it made it to the table. I think I received Tony Rose's second copy, and it took over a year between the time I put the deposit on it and the time I received it. These pictures look more like they are from a drafting program, not an actual copy of the camera. The DMR was released in the same way -- the first pictures were different than the finished DMR that made it to the public.

Just don't get your hopes up to have it in your hands soon!

LJL

Well, there was an article in the BJP (link from somebody on the LL forum) that says there is a working prototype at Photokina, that Summer 2009 is target release, that this is the first of several offerings in this "system", targeted first to the pro shooters, and the body will be selling at 20k euros. So the $18k "U.S. kit" price sounded way better, and there are still lots of months till release. Looks like Phase is shepherding most of the work for this camera, and handling the image management side of things for Leica also.

If it delivers on time and to the outlined specs in these articles, it could become a serious player to consider. That would be more the case if Leica can get the price down a bit more to make this more of a "must have" type camera. Still looks very interesting. Will keep watching it, and hoping the price comes more in line.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Notice the CS on the back of the camera. Also has FPS too.

Cropped sensor????????????? . Not a word about that yet

Terry

Guy,
On the shot with the LCD illuminated it looks like you can also chose whether or not you want to shoot at full resolution. I sent the link to the BJP article for posting. I can't from my iPhone (LOL)

Stuart Richardson

I am guessing that CS and FPS are "central shutter" and "focal plane shutter" -- the press release said there will be both focal plane and leaf shutter options -- the 70mm lens says "CS" as well, so I assume that means that it is leaf shutter. I would guess this will work like the Hasselblad 200 series where you can choose whether you want to use the lens or body shutter.

P.S. -- It has auto ISO as well (sensitivity is set to auto).