The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Leak

John Black

Sexy pictures :) The 4-button interface on the back looks very Phase One. the upper LCD on the camera body is multi-color. I wish they had gone with two control dials. I'm guessing A-mode works like the M8 - 1/2 press the shutter and use rear dial. I'm not seeing a button to enable focus point selection, so this looks like simple, single center AF point. Not so happy about that. It have been have a huge viewfinder with excellent magnification and brightness to offset for the lack of a multi-point AF system. A multi-point AF system would be one are where Leica could upstage the competition.

robmac

Interesting in that the S2 will only be distributed through Phase dealers - nothing like making existing dealers happy. Cost of the relationship.

robmac

I suspect your right.

Chatter is the resolution setting apparently allows for pixel binning for greater DR at lower Res.

I am guessing that CS and FPS are "central shutter" and "focal plane shutter" -- the press release said there will be both focal plane and leaf shutter options -- the 70mm lens says "CS" as well, so I assume that means that it is leaf shutter. I would guess this will work like the Hasselblad 200 series where you can choose whether you want to use the lens or body shutter.

P.S. -- It has auto ISO as well (sensitivity is set to auto).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting in that the S2 will only be distributed through Phase dealers - nothing like making existing dealers happy. Cost of the relationship.
Are you serious. Great Phase one loves me , maybe i can test one. :D:D:D

Lance make the call. NOW. LOL

robmac

Lance (Edit: Chris L) has a posting on LL indicating same. Also info on CI site.
Now if they made the new mount Phamiya-compatible (says no, but would be cool).

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I think a great idea actually. The support from Phase One is awesome and there service even better. Now I am starting to get out of my seat. Lunch first though. LOL

etrigan63

How do you focus through a leaf shutter lens? I am assuming that the focal plane shutter is closed and the leaf shutter is opened for focusing and aperture adjustments then closes down, the FPS opens and the CS clicks the image? Sounds like an unnecessary juggling act. What is the advantage to be gained by this?

Stuart Richardson

Just like through any other lens -- it works just like the aperture iris. It worked perfectly well for the Hasselblad 200 series. Focusing through a leaf shutter works fine for Hasselblad (V and H series), Rollei 6000 series, bronica and every large format lens. The way it works when there is a body shutter is well is as follows: the aperture stops down, the body shutter opens, the leaf shutter closes after the proper time, the body shutter closes and the leaf shutter and aperture opens again. The advantage is that you can have flash sync at all speeds, as well as fast body shutter speeds (1/4000th in this case). The best of both worlds. It will also allow you to build super-high speed lenses that are otherwise very difficult to make with leaf shutters -- stuff like the 110/2, 50mm f/2.8, 80mm f/2 and so on. These lenses can be made with leaf shutters, but it adds a great deal to their complexity and bulk.

robmac

I GUESS there would be three ways:

1. Set to CS locks open FP shutter, mirror seals out light while focusing with CS shutter open. Hit release, CS shutter shuts, mirror flips up, CS shutter opens and closes, mirror returns, CS shutter opens.

This would require some battery drain (holding open FPS shutter) and some serious light management around mirror.

2. Some heavy-duty electronic syncing between CS and FPShutters giving one priority over the other to accomplish #1 above w/o locking open FPS for any longer than need be.

3. Derivative of #1 where CS retracts FPS out of light path san battery drain - a flip-flop style latching device that doesn't need power to hold FPS aside.

I suspect #2

Guy Mancuso

• Phase One and Leica Form Strategic Alliance

The just-announced medium-format Leica S2 will feature sensor, software, and firmware developed by the experienced engineers of Phase One and will be distributed exclusively through Phase One channels. This promises the quality and sophistication of Leica with the engineering prowess and medium-format experience of Phase One. Plus distribution.

This is a brilliant move. Phase one is so experienced in this , they will have a winner just by this alone

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
• Phase One and Leica Form Strategic Alliance

The just-announced medium-format Leica S2 will feature sensor, software, and firmware developed by the experienced engineers of Phase One and will be distributed exclusively through Phase One channels. This promises the quality and sophistication of Leica with the engineering prowess and medium-format experience of Phase One. Plus distribution.

This is a brilliant move. Phase one is so experienced in this , they will have a winner just by this alone
This may solve all the Service worries that may have kept potential buyers away as well.

Guy Mancuso

BINGO and exactly what i am thinking and know from my experience with Phase One. This is huge and exactly throws that service issue out the door.

cmb_

I don't think Leica is trying to get Medium Format users to "switch" to the S system (although they would be happy if some did) but rather they see it as a more compact unit that that pros would have in addition to the MF gear when they want to use a system that is maybe a little smaller and have more of the DSLR functionality and not give up any resolution or image quality.

Guy Mancuso

if it is truly faster overall that will make a lot of MF users actually add this to there system, now if there is a way to have lenses compatible between leica and Phase on this . Truly makes it even more appealing. For someone like me all i would add is the body for speed. Let's wait till all the announcements but maybe a chance at this also.

cmb_

Guy - I may need to borrow your handcuffs!!!!!

If it takes until summer of 2009 to hit the streets then perhaps the R10 will also be developed by then and we will have two options.

Guy Mancuso

I think I will buy a extra pair with the Phase One stuff i just got really excited. For M8 and DMR fans i can't tell you how good this really is overall.

robmac

The light bulb goes off... :thumbup: For some reason I got hung up on fact that same shutter had to control both sides of the exposure. Thanks Stuart.

Just like through any other lens -- it works just like the aperture iris. It worked perfectly well for the Hasselblad 200 series. Focusing through a leaf shutter works fine for Hasselblad (V and H series), Rollei 6000 series, bronica and every large format lens. The way it works when there is a body shutter is well is as follows: the aperture stops down, the body shutter opens, the leaf shutter closes after the proper time, the body shutter closes and the leaf shutter and aperture opens again. The advantage is that you can have flash sync at all speeds, as well as fast body shutter speeds (1/4000th in this case). The best of both worlds. It will also allow you to build super-high speed lenses that are otherwise very difficult to make with leaf shutters -- stuff like the 110/2, 50mm f/2.8, 80mm f/2 and so on. These lenses can be made with leaf shutters, but it adds a great deal to their complexity and bulk.