The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S Leak

EH21

Is this true? I've been trying to find out about this and so far n ot found anything.

The S2's sensor uses an RGBI pattern rather than the Bayer pattern, which according to Kodak improves sensitivity (i.e., less noise at higher ISO).

EH21

Doug,
The Kodak Truesense phrase is used both on their 4th generation CCD's and also with their new CMOS technology. Only the new CMOS chips are getting the new matrix with a separate luminosity sensel. The S2 and the Hasselblad H3D-50 appear to be using these kodak chips but the S2 has the addition of the microlenses. As I speculated in the L camera user forums the microlenses probably give the s2 and extra stop but I wouldn't expect them to get significantly better ISO performance than 1600 and probably even that is a stretch since the H50's basic range is 50-400. But time will tell. I certainly hope for a usable iso 1600.

According to Kodak's press release on the truesense CCD technology, they employ the use of a different red filter which enables better color rendering over their earlier chips as well as some other features that help reduce power consumption and others that make the chip more responsive.
Eric

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm confused
Today my Phase 25 plus can shoot EVERY 1.5 seconds, meaning i cannot shoot until 1.5 pass by. So reality is I have to wait 1.5 seconds to shoot again. Sometimes eternity. Anyway so in a 3 second time frame i can get 2 shots off

Now here is how I read the S2 it says 1.5 Frames per second. To me they are saying it different like Canon or Nikon would, that being within a 1 second time frame the shutter will go 1.5 times within that second. So reality is within a 3 second time frame the shutter will go 1.5 x 3 times equalling 4.5 frames

I know i am right on the Phase because that is what it is i have to WAIT 1.5 seconds before hitting the shutter again but am i reading the Leica S2 correctly like the canons and Nikons meanings of FPS

Erik Five

I'm confused
Today my Phase 25 plus can shoot EVERY 1.5 seconds, meaning i cannot shoot until 1.5 pass by. So reality is I have to wait 1.5 seconds to shoot again. Sometimes eternity. Anyway so in a 3 second time frame i can get 2 shots off

Now here is how I read the S2 it says 1.5 Frames per second. To me they are saying it different like Canon or Nikon would, that being within a 1 second time frame the shutter will go 1.5 times within that second. So reality is within a 3 second time frame the shutter will go 1.5 x 3 times equalling 4.5 frames

I know i am right on the Phase because that is what it is i have to WAIT 1.5 seconds before hitting the shutter again but am i reading the Leica S2 correctly like the canons and Nikons meanings of FPS
I think they said that they would be 2x faster than anything else at the market now. Correct me if im wrong anyone. 1.5 frames per second should be right then?

doug

The Kodak TrueSense technology also counts electron 'holes' instead of the electrons which according to Kodak give 1 to 2 stops better noise performance. This is used in both CCD and CMOS sensors.

dhsimmonds

When it comes to pros, I think this will impact the top end of Canon as much as the bottom end of MF.
If you are right, then Leica had better make it pretty damned fast in both ISO ranges and buffer speeds! Not to mention competitive pricing!!! I don't think so somehow.

EH21

The Kodak TrueSense technology also counts electron 'holes' instead of the electrons which according to Kodak give 1 to 2 stops better noise performance. This is used in both CCD and CMOS sensors.
Interesting... Do you have a link to any of this sensor information?
Thanks,
Eric

S

Shingoshi

Hi Guy,
I don't know if the private message I received from you is an automatic form or not. But I really don't have much to say at this point. I'm a somewhat old guy in his early 50's. And for some crazy reason, I've been following the Leica system for the past few years. I just find the R9 to be sexy beyond any right to be! I just love her shape. It's really kind of funny, because when I was younger, I was always too pragmatic to consider them as a rational choice. Now, I wish that Leica had been my choice years ago. I wouldn't be sitting here with my old Canon T90 collecting dust with lenses I can't use on anything new.

I had a journalist friend in High School who owned one. A picture I took with it wound up in the local paper. And years later, I had another friend who was urging me to consider Leica. I don't know if that was before or after I had already purchased my Canon system. But life is what it's meant to be, whether we understand it or not. I feel somewhat comforted by the purchase of my Sinar. At least it's a system which still persists.

I honestly think much of my attraction to Leica is my own personal rejection of what has become the demise of photography as a art. I could just imagine the outcry that would erupt among the great Vineyards, if every Joe could go out and purchase the means to make his own wine, and think that gave him the right to call himself a connoisseur.

Some things just shouldn't be!

Xavian-Anderson Macpherson
Shingoshi

Stuart Richardson

Thank you for posting that Lars. That is the most useful thing I have seen on the S2 yet. There really is no substitute for just a video demonstration along with clear explanation. For example, that is the first time I have actually seen the camera in someone's hands, which is very useful itself. It looks like a slightly bulkier 5D -- not so bad at all in terms of size.

dhsimmonds

Thank you for this Lars. It not only answers many previously untold questions about the S2, it also categorically answers many questions about the R10, which is probably more relevant to members of this Forum.

I will now hang on in there with my R9/DMR until the R10 appears as I now know for sure that my beautiful R lenses can be used with the R10 when it finally appears.