Site Sponsors

Thread: OK Where is my Digital CL?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK Where is my Digital CL?

Have we heard all that is coming from Leica? All the talk about a new digital CL. Where is it?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: OK Where is my Digital CL?

In the pipseline of the new Maestro system....behind the S2, R10, and M9????

Not sure how deep the partnership with Phase will go in terms of going downstream from the truly pro applications.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From Terry some interesting news here

The LEICA S2 camera, powered by the new KODAK KAF-37500 Image Sensor, is the third product from Leica to be based on KODAK CCD Image Sensors – a relationship that began first with the LEICA Digital Module-R and was then extended with the LEICA M8 camera. With an imaging area of 45mm x 30mm, the 37.5 million pixel KAF-37500 represents a new optical format for photography, providing an image capture area over 50% larger than traditional 35mm film. The sensor also includes specific design features that optimize its use in the S2 camera, such as the use of microlenses to increase the overall light sensitivity of the device, enabling improved image quality under low light conditions. In addition, an infra-red absorbing optic was incorporated directly into the sensor’s packaging, enabling the development of a thinner camera design by eliminating the need to include this IR-absorbing function as a separate camera component.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another words the future M9 could use this sensor without the need for IR filters
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Another words the future M9 could use this sensor without the need for IR filters
    Actually, Sony have this technology and the Nikon D3/700 use sensors with similar built-in IR cut filters- these are all the right sized sensors for the "M9" as well.

The sensor used in S2 is too big.

Kodak, BTW, patented a lot these technologies a few years before the M8 even started to take shape. They knew better!