The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Steve Huff tests SLR Magics 50/0.95

V

Vivek

Seems like SLR Magic is going Zeiss route - more elements for more corrections. Leica has been trying to do more with less, which I find somehow more pleasing. I do like Zeiss 21mm lens though.
It isn't Zeiss route but the 1970s Vivitar Series 1 route. The glass they advertise ("Tantalum glass") was the mainstay of Vivitar Series 1 lenses.
Very thick elements and heavy.

Zeiss and Leica use rather more sophisticated materials. More expensive.

What does not make sense is that this complex configuration does not appear to give any better result. :confused:

ohnri

It isn't Zeiss route but the 1970s Vivitar Series 1 route. The glass they advertise ("Tantalum glass") was the mainstay of Vivitar Series 1 lenses.
Very thick elements and heavy.

Zeiss and Leica use rather more sophisticated materials. More expensive.

What does not make sense is that this complex configuration does not appear to give any better result. :confused:
Most likely they have additional elements in lieu of asphericals.

It does not have to be better. Different and good quality will be enough to make it worthwhile.

Best,

Bill

zombii

I spend a lot of time with my Noct f/1 and I've tried most of the other ultra fast 50's that I could afford. I'll be really interested to see what the price is. Quality control will also be a consideration. I suspect that if Steve Huff's samples are any indication and the price is under $3000, these will be in high demand and if the production is semi-handmade ala the Noctilux, supply may never catch up with demand.

V

Vivek

Most likely they have additional elements in lieu of asphericals.

It does not have to be better. Different and good quality will be enough to make it worthwhile.

Best,

Bill
Yes, it does not have to be better.

Aspherical elements are in a lens to correct spherical aberrations. None of the f/1 Noctilux lenses or the Canon 50/0.95 have them. Only the f/1.2 and the f/0.95 Noctiluxes.

With so many elements, even the computation is going to be complicated as the variables are increased many fold.

It will be interesting to see what the real specifications of the lens are- in addition to the size and weight.

Agnius

Yes, it does not have to be better.

Aspherical elements are in a lens to correct spherical aberrations. None of the f/1 Noctilux lenses or the Canon 50/0.95 have them. Only the f/1.2 and the f/0.95 Noctiluxes.

With so many elements, even the computation is going to be complicated as the variables are increased many fold.

It will be interesting to see what the real specifications of the lens are- in addition to the size and weight.
I am sure the army of women with abacuses is no longer necessary to calculate lenses. Just fire up Zemax, and off you go... Maybe next thing will be about designing your own lens and having it actually made?

ohnri

It is big. It is heavy.

It is built like a tank.

Optically, it appears to be excellent.

It focuses close. It focuses fast.

It is the real deal.

An honest to goodness Noctilux competitor.

It is not for everyone.

But for those who want a 50mm f/0.95 M mount lens that focuses to 0.7 meters and is a serious player in the Image Quality department this lens fits the bill.

One caveat, I saw a lot of images that were shot with this lens and I used it myself but I did not make any large prints. That will be my endpoint for final judgement.

One more caveat, the lenses I saw and used were all pre-production.

Thanks to Steve Huff and SLR Magic for making it happen.

Best,

Bill

V

Vivek

Some of the shots in the new samples set are simply superb! :thumbs:

jthurs

I was at the workshop. Tried this lens. It's awesome. Definitely holds its own with the .95 noctilux. Though it is heavy and heavier than the noctilux, if you'd be okay with the nocti, you'd be okay with this. And though there's no price yet, people will be saving quite a bit.

ashwinrao1

I was at the Huff Workshop and used the lens extensively. Here are a few to share:

SLR Magic 50 mm f.0.95 Hyperprime....friggin magic!!!

CharlesK

Ashwin, wow... awesome shots!

Now I am starting the think the waiting time for Lux's and Nocti is long enough, what will it be for the SLR Magic!!! If the pricing is right, there will be a massive lineup. I really feel this is the magic of having a M9, that lenses like this become available:)

V

Vivek

The night shots with OOF highlights are interesting. The odd shapes and the smearing of the highlights are indicative of all the aberrations this lens has to offer.

I hope "SLR Magic" will also supply some data (MTF, Chromatic aberration corrections, Distortions and the like) regarding the lens.

ohnri

Ashwin, how is the focus ring? Short throw, long throw? Weight? Thanks.
Rod
The focus throw from 0.7 meters to infinity is about the same as the focus throw from 1 meter to infinity on the Noct 0.95.

In other words, a little less than the 0.95 Noct and a lot less than the f/1 Noct.

Best,

Bill

iiiNelson

Well those are great shots but I still think price will determine the success. I can't see people spending more than $2500 for it. That's not a knock on quality but most people are going on word of mouth from a relatively unheard of company. Also while the Noctilux is $12K now, the Voigtlander is still a sub $1500 lens (yes I know it's f/1.1 and not f/0.95) and it has to compete on the lower end as well.