The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Winter conditions- filters?

woodyspedden

O.K.

This is definitely better and way closer to the original image. Thanks to all for being very patient while I learn how to post images correctly for the web

Yours

Woody Spedden

jaapv

Subscriber Member
I *thought* those could have been the Dolomites! That's on my list of places to go in the next year or two. I have a few questions about visiting them, and will send you a private message later today if you have the time to answer it.

Thanks,
Lisa

You're most welcome

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Woody:

In the set of workshop actions I gave you in Yosemite, there is a web conversion action that automatically sizes, sharpens and converts your working file IN ANY FORMAT OR COLORSPACE to an sRGB jpegfor web output, at a max of 900 pixels wide or 750 tall. Just run that on your working file and you will be set :)

NOTE: I forget if you're on Mac or PC, but the action includes a java script for PC. A Mac can read it and use it and it works, but issues an error notice. For anybody on that workshop with a Mac, let me know and I can tell you how to correct it for Mac to eliminate the error notice.

Cheers,

O.K.

I am trying again with an image at 900 Px max dimension. Hopefully with the image converted to SRGB earlier I will have better results. I guess that I am fundamentally a printer and don't understand the web very well at all. Let's see

By the way this is looking out over golf hole number 14, across a horse breeding ranch to the foothills of the Rockies. Temp is about 15 degrees at this time of morning (6:30 A.M.) and the sun is way off to the East at the right hand side of the frame. God it is nice to be up at this time of day. God must love us Photogs who are willing to get up and live with his morning light.

Best

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guys:

I have posted and uploaded the action sets in the workshop area on the forum, so all you have to do is just download the set for Mac or PC as appropriate and follow the instructions I posted for loading them --- enjoy! :)

Cheers,

robsteve

Subscriber
Woody:

Do you have soft proofing on in photoshop? I may have the terminology wrong and Jack can correct me, but I am referring to Photoshop displaying your images taking your printer profile into account. In other words, you are seeing an image in Photoshop which reduces the saturation a bit to mimic what you will get printed on your printer.

I also noticed that photoshop had an option to desaturate colors by 20% under the advanced color settings. This could also be your problem. I notice I do not have this option enabled.

Robert

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You've got it right Robert, but if Woody uses the web converter action I sent him, it's simpler and quicker ;)

robsteve

Subscriber
You've got it right Robert, but if Woody uses the web converter action I sent him, it's simpler and quicker ;)
I don't think the action would undo Woody boosting the saturation too much because his photoshop is displaying an artificially low saturation.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Good point Robert...

Woody, by any chance do yo have the "desaturate monitor colors by 20%" set turned on in CS? If so, turn it off and see if that helps.

woodyspedden

Jack, Robert and all

First so many thanks for the time you took to help me get on track here.

I do not have the desaturate colors by 20% enabled

The soft proofing is set to simulate Adobe RGB

The attached image was processed using Jack's actions from the workshop

I am on a Mac using and Eizo monitor

Woody

woodyspedden

Jack
I think this looks similar to the second image I posted on page one of the thread but the saturation is much more like the full psd.

I tell you that posting images on the web is not so simple as one would guess. But thanks Jack for the action as I will now use it constantly.

Best

Woody

robsteve

Subscriber
Jack, Robert and all

First so many thanks for the time you took to help me get on track here.

I do not have the desaturate colors by 20% enabled

The soft proofing is set to simulate Adobe RGB

The attached image was processed using Jack's actions from the workshop

I am on a Mac using and Eizo monitor

Woody

Woody:

I think you need to turn off the soft proofing if you want to have photoshop display them like they will look in a web browser.

Jack knows more about this than me and may be able to tell us how it should be set.

woodyspedden

Thanks Robert

I am not sure how to "turn off" proofing but I have it set so that proofing is set to simulate the working profoto RGB space, not any of the printer papers etc. Should I do something else?

Woody

robsteve

Subscriber
Woody:

I think you can just turn proofing view on and off using ctrl-Y in a Windows environment. It is also under the view menu.

Robert

woodyspedden

Robert

Thanks for the input. I am on a Mac so the turnoff is CMD Y. However I noticed that with the proofing set for my working space, i.e. profoto RGB switching proofing on and off does nothing (which is a good thing as that is the way you would expect it to react.) Anyway, I now know how to get things on the web the right way; no proofing and use Jack's really quick action to size at 900 px and convert to Srgb.

Thanks to all and sorry if I bored the rest who probably already knew these things.

Woody

F

Flavio

Jaapv,
wonderful pictures.
Have you ever shot in the Alpe di Siusi area?

Flavio

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Any chance we can get a portion of this thread copied to the Image Processing sub-forum? There are some really great ideas on how to deal with issues arising from posting images online.

F

Flavio

Hi Jaap,
I love that area indeed. We use to go there since 1986. Just in Summer!
There was a lovely Rifugio (shelter) called Zallinger, small, built in wood only, no TV, no radio (all people inside got news through my Icom radio). Through the years it went bigger and bigger and now we do not realize big difference with other fine hotels all around.
But in the Alpe no car can run and it is still one more good reason to go up there.
Hope to meet you in the Alpe! Maybe a Siusi photo meeting? :)