The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Oh Joy, a new old Leica lens...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Bebert, Those are lovely photos with the Xenon. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that my 50 summarit f/1.5 was based on the Xenon design.

Leica77, The beautiful summicron bokeh shines through. I am not sure what I am looking at when you show the adapter, but is your lens one of the older crons that screw apart? Do you take it apart and then screw onto the adapter?

Leica 77

Hello Cindy Flood, Many thanks for your kind feedback. Yes, you are absolutely right. It is the older kind of M 90mm Summicron, and the frontal portion including the aperture ring can be detached from the rest of the lens. Only the frontal portion is screwed onto the adapter. The adapter has a nice focusing ring built into it. I am pleased to receive your comments regarding the smooth bokeh produced by Summicron lenses. Best regards. Leica 77

Hello Cam, once again! Nice to hear from you. I have only tried my 90mm Summicron M lens so far. The cost of the adapter was about US$160.00. Speaking of digital SLRs, I am quite happy with my Nikon D300. All the best to you. Leica 77

Leica 77

:)Oh, Joy, Thanks to David at Leitax in Spain, a brand new Nikon Mount adapter for Leica R lenses arrived here yesterday. The installation was quick and easy since the step-by-step procedure is well illustrated on the Leitax website. The photo below shows how one of my favorite Leica R lenses - Elmarit R 19mm lens - was attached to the Nikon D300 DSLR. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Last edited:

Leica 77

Oh Joy! Here is a sample image recorded by a Leica Elmarit R 19mm attached to my favorite Nikon DSLR D300 via Leitax lens mount adapter. Thanks for looking. Leica 77

Lloyd

Oh Joy! Here is a sample image recorded by a Leica Elmarit R 19mm attached to my favorite Nikon DSLR D300 via Leitax lens mount adapter. Thanks for looking. Leica 77
Nice. Richly saturated; nice straight lines. Let's see more!:thumbup:

Leica 77

Hello Lloyd,
Many thanks for your kind feedback. Indeed, I was quite satisfied with the saturation and rich colors produced by the combination of the Leica Elmarit R 19mm lens and the Nikon D300. I will post some more images later. Best regards, Leica 77

robmac

For a lens that everyone degrades (the 1st ver 19/2.8) compared to the new model (which is amazing), that first version looks pretty good. As per Lloyd - let see some more.

Lloyd

Mine is number 5882xx. Purchased new in Germany by my father in 1946, but actually produced in 1942. According to Oresteen.com, yours would have been made in 1951. http://www.oresteen.com/leica%20lens%20dates.htm

I should note that there are threads, but they are smaller than 39cm, and the filter would have to sit up a bit. Otherwise it would come into contact with the lens front element. As for not having a UV/IR filter, I consider it an non-issue for this lens. I shoot it mostly for B/W anyway, but it works wonderfully in color also.

Leica 77

:)Oh Joy, I post one more digital image recorded by my Leica Elmarit R 19mm lens attached to one of my favorite Nikon DSLRs -- D300 via a Leitax Mount Adapter. Thank you for looking. Leica 77

Last edited:

Leica 77

Hello Lloyd,
I am honored to have your positive feedback. It was your 400th post to the GetDPI.com forums. I will submit additional images later. Best regards. Leica 77