The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Traveling with an M9

ReeRay

I can't speak for Vietnam but I've toured Cambodia quite a lot and the guides (read gear carriers also) at $20 a day including transport overcome the weight and heat problems and they are plentiful, knowledgeable and very friendly. I travel with a Canon 5D MK2 and an assortment of fast glass without any problems.

Did I mention I'm 65 years of age!

Enjoy your trip. The Cambodians are wonderful, generous and fun loving people.

4season

Are you traveling independently or as part of a group? If going with a group, cut back your gear and plan on working relatively quickly with whatever light you can get (and what you get may be a lot of 10 AM - 2 PM light). I did a 3-week Vietnam-Cambodia trip with a Hawaii-based group a couple of years back. Fun, even though as photographers, we might wish to be on-site at dawn and dusk and skip a few nonessentials, like meals.

CharlesK

I have been fortunate to visit Thailand now about 10 times for business/pleasure over the past four years. First two visits were with the 5DII and L lenses and later Zeiss ZE glass. Weight and ergonomics got to me, and made me feel uncomfortable in getting close to people and it showed in my style of street and village portraits. Almost 2 years ago, I opted for the M9 and it really did take some practice to feel fully comfortable with the gear and PPing of the shots.

I now fully appreciate the M9 as being part of me when I sit down with people in villages/streets to connect with and chat, and then continue to take some shots. My backup is now a M9-P funded by selling all my 5DII and lenses/equipment. I am only now starting to appreciate the philosophy and thinking behind the Leica M's.

Keeping light, a good lens combo would be 21 Lux or 28 Cron, 50 Lux and maybe a 75. Depending of course on your favourite FL. The 50 Lux is brilliant for low light work, easy to use. The 75 Cron/Lux, IMO I would choose over the 90 Cron for the sole reason of MFD of 0.7m versus 1.0m which allows better versatility in the smaller streets.

If you taking the M9 and M lenses, having a backup would be very helpful:)

Thanks everyone for your advice.
FYI, I decided to use my H4d-40 instead of the Leica m9.
If you are interested, I posted some Angkor Wat images in the Fun With MF images thread.
Thanks again.