The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IF U HAVE A 50MM DO U REALLY NEED...

Moonshine

I have a 50mm 2.5 Summarit and a 35mm 2.8 Summaron and would like to keep just one as i find their focal length to be very close. Which out of the 2 should i keep? Typically i like to photograph scenes in streets...
Any advice please?

j. white

Between those two focal lengths, I can shoot just about everything that really interests me. It really is the combination of the two that enables that freedom though. Neither would suffice alone. Are they close? Yes. But they're absolutely unique.

SYGTAFOTO

Funny thing, 35mm and 50mm that is.
I thought 35mm and 75mm was the right combo, but I think 35mm and 50mm is the combo for me. So I sold my 75mm and now looking for a 50mm.

It may seem 35mm and 50mm are close, but I find 35mm and 75mm are too far!

monza

If I had to pick between 35 and 50 it would be 35. But I'm not sure there is a wrong answer here. :)

SYGTAFOTO

i do find the focal lengths close...
if i had to sell one which lens should it be?
To put it bluntly without disrespect, only you know which focal length you prefer. 35mm and 50mm are the two most used focal lengths.
Everyone has their own preference and no one can decide for you. You can shoot street with both focal lengths.

My suggestion to you is look at the pictures you've taken with 35mm and 50mm and see which one you used more and see which focal length was used more on the images you like.

bluebook

I feel you also have two lenses with different characters, in addition to different focal lengths.

But this is what I would do (if it was me):
1) If you just want one lens, go with 35
2) If you plan to buy one more, sell 35, get a 28. 28/50 is probably my favorite combination.

bab

I have the 35 and the 21 and the 50 on order, I shot everything with the 35lux for years, love the 21 just got it a month ago cant say enough goods things about using it, waiting to get the 50 then I might buy another m9 believe it or not or one of those fancy fangled jobbers that are supposed to replace MF LOL

iiiNelson

I just added a 35 to my 50. The 35 is more versatile but 50 is essential to me as well. Just depends on how you shoot. If I had to start over and choose it would be 24, 35, and 75 for me but that's after trial and error. Still love 50 and 90 though.

Araakii

I would recommend you to explore the focal lengths before selling. More importantly, don't crop any of your photos. If you crop your 35mm shots to 50mm, then of course there's no point keeping two.

Godfrey

Sell both and buy a Summicron-C or M-Rokkor 40mm f/2, or Nokton 40mm f/1.4. Best of both worlds. :)

Only you can decide what's best for your photography. If you can't make such a decision right now, best to do nothing and think about it until you know what you want.

codocee

I just bought a 50 Summilux Ver2 and a 1960 35mm Summaron f/2.8 and snapped a couple of indoor shots last night. I'm going shooting in the morning with just these two.
All I can say is WOW!
NICE!

seakayaker

thanks all
i have the summaron up for sale and was wondering if $1000 was a fair price for it?
Hope you are happy with just the 50mm. I find there are days when the 50mm is needed and others that the 35mm is the way to go.

As for as pricing for the Summaron, since you asked . . . . .

. . . . . the summaron priced at $1000.00 would be more than I would be willing to pay.

The Summaron was built between 1958 to 1974 and not sure of the year that yours was built, from the pictures it looks like it is not in near mint condition, more like average. Someone may find interest but $300.00 to $500.00 would be closer to the range if I was looking for a lens of that era, unless it was truly in 'excellent' to 'mint' condition.

IF I had a $1000.00 to spend on a 35/.8 the I would pick up the Zeiss 35/2.8 for $871.00 and have money left over for a hood and filter.

Paratom

If you say scenes in streets I would say 35mm.
But for my photography 50mm is more usefull.
Overall I agree with many others here: I would really want boths.
I have a x1 which I carry as small camera sometimes and it does feel limited to have only 50mm available.

SYGTAFOTO

Hope you are happy with just the 50mm. I find there are days when the 50mm is needed and others that the 35mm is the way to go.

As for as pricing for the Summaron, since you asked . . . . .

. . . . . the summaron priced at $1000.00 would be more than I would be willing to pay.

The Summaron was built between 1958 to 1974 and not sure of the year that yours was built, from the pictures it looks like it is not in near mint condition, more like average. Someone may find interest but $300.00 to $500.00 would be closer to the range if I was looking for a lens of that era, unless it was truly in 'excellent' to 'mint' condition.

IF I had a $1000.00 to spend on a 35/.8 the I would pick up the Zeiss 35/2.8 for $871.00 and have money left over for a hood and filter.
I disagree with your pricing.

Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 is not a good comparison to this lens in terms of price.
Better comparison is 35mm summicron f/2 V1 as they exhibit very similar rendering, and the summicron costs at least twice as much.
I sold my summaron here without a hood for a price comparable to Moonshine (taking the price of hood into account).
I can't tell for sure from the pics, but Moonshine's lens looks to be comparable in condition to mine.
I would buy all of these lenses if they were priced at $400.

monza

I think Dan was saying that is what he would be willing to pay. Others may pay more. :) I recently sold an excellent 35/2.8 Summaron for over $1200. Vintage Leica lenses will vary quite a lot depending on condition.