The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M9 and Moire

ced

Matt can you try and process as suggested above to see if it eliminates this kind of moire and how much it alters the colour and post the result please?
Kind Regards!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I double checked - the sharpening parameters were all zero for this file. M9/28Cron just looks like that. :shocked:

Here is the result of masking the shirt with Capture One and applying the maximum Moire reduction, both color and pattern parameters pushed to the far right.The color bleed on the lower left would need further processing, and the pattern aliasing (it was a very attractive small blue check shirt) is too strong for the filter. I set the clarity to -100 to minimize the pattern. Further work would require Photoshop.

I've never understood the aversion to AA filters. Aliasing introduces low frequency information that can't be removed afterwards. An AA filter lowers some high frequency information which can be restored, albeit with an increase in noise at those frequencies. Yet we have this strange reverence for the unprocessed image, as if we ever see anything remotely close to the raw data.

Well, I do understand it, because aliasing visibly affects a small part of the image, while correcting the slight softening of an AA filter affects the entire image. Never mind.

Best,

Matt

Last edited:

ced

Matt thanks for posting the test, I guess the result is pretty good that way.
As you say the rest can be done via a mask locally in PS or some other application.