The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Deal on M8->8.2 trade-in

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Anybody find a good deal on an M8 to M8.2 trade-in?
Any dealers want to bid?
thanks
-bob

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Bob,

We are offering a trade-up program as outlined here on our website.

I'm starting to see the market price drop, which means trade-in value would drop also. For the time being, though, I am still willing to offer $2800 (even though the market dictates I should be at $2500). BTW, I contacted KEH for a point of referrence. They offered me $1800 for my M8. So, we're pretty fair comparative to the marketplace.

Let me know if I can help you out.

David

woodyspedden

Seems to me to be a financial no-brainer. After the latest firmware upgrade the functionality of the two bodies are pretty much identical. Frame line differences and the in viewfinder arrows plus the silent shutter mode being the exceptions. Once you do the trade in you are paying $6800-$2500 or $4300 for the privilege. Assuming that you want the new shutter plus the sapphire LCD cover ($1700) you still have a $2600 bill. Of course you do get one extra year of warranty but I don't know how to value that.

So all in all, if you want the new body, by all means buy it. Just don't expect it to make much financial sense.

JMHO

Woody

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Woody,
I am sitting in the same boat.
It is looking like the best deal for me is to do the shutter upgrade and maybe the framelines, and when the thing gets real ugly, send it to Shintaro for a paint job.
It probably would take a new sensor to move me to do upgrade at that difference between new and trade-in value.
-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The one teeny little thing you get with the new body that you don't with the upgrade intrigues me is the wind delay in silent mode, and this definitely makes for a less intrusive sounding camera...

I am on the fence. I like the silent shutter for sure, but also have used the 1/8000 shutter on occasion with my fast glass in bright light. I am actually thinking I will just buy a new one outright and then decide if I want to sell one of the others. Both of my existing bodies work flawlessly and focus perfectly with all of my lenses, so at a $2800 trade value -- or the price of one used Asph M lens -- I am not sure it's not just money better spent sitting in my cabinet as a working spare...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I hate the CLUNK-whirr so much I will definitely upgrade the shutter. I have an nd filter in my kit somewhere usually, so I am rationalizing away 1/8000. Reports of the new shutter re-cocking sound seem to be pretty positive at the moment, so the value of the finger-cramp mode goes down a little bit for me. I think I am falling off the fence on the side of upgrading, OTOH, restarting the warantee has a certain attractiveness but if I look at the NPV of probable repair bills, it is real close to a draw.
-bob

Terry

Dumb question.... When you are in "recock later" mode, how is it done? Are you half pressing the shutter.

I am not trading in for an M8.2. Will probably upgrade one body. With shutter, LCD and framelines. Just trying to figure out which body to upgrade. However, in no rush.

Now that we have a current model black paint body think more lenses will be available new in black paint?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Terry, as I understand it, the recock mode trips normally as you press the shutter button, but does not wind up for the next shot until you release it. While this doesn't sound like a big deal, there is almost no noise on the trip and you can be moved away when you release.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
In the past, with other systems, I've generally used the current model as a primary camera, and kept the last version as a backup. When a new model comes out I trade in the backup and the former current model becomes the new backup. I've got 2 M8 bodies. I'll probably trade one in for an 8.2 and do nothing with the second body, retaining it as a backup.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Jack, I think I am with you on this one also. My plan is to just buy a new 8.2, and keep my present camera just as it is for a backup.

Reynolds

Workshop Member
Jack:

You make too much sense! I am keeping the M8 body. And, 1/8000th only adds to the wisdom of doing so.

Reynolds

A

asabet

I assume you contacted Leica directly about the possibility of a trade in? They offered a pretty sweet trade in for Digilux 2 owners looking to go to the M8.

charlesphoto

I may be upgrading the shutter and framelines on my M8. My screen cover is scratched, but $500 more for a "sapphire" screen cover seems like an absurdity. Maybe if they were offering a higher density pixel screen. But a scratched cover has no impact on my photography. Shutter and framing do.

And an additional $2K for silent wind on and ev dialing is just out there as well (that's considering your body is worth $3K plus full upgrade vs new M8.2). Lets face it, if you have to stuff your camera under your coat between shots you may as well just use a decent p&s in those situations. As a free firmware I'd certainly welcome it (I think it should at least be free as an add on to a shutter upgrade) but not sinking any more money into this ongoing money pit than I absolutely have to.

irakly

current market value $3500? you can't be serious :ROTFL:
thanks god, we have ebay.

Bob,

We are offering a trade-up program as outlined here on our website.

I'm starting to see the market price drop, which means trade-in value would drop also. For the time being, though, I am still willing to offer $2800 (even though the market dictates I should be at $2500). BTW, I contacted KEH for a point of referrence. They offered me $1800 for my M8. So, we're pretty fair comparative to the marketplace.

Let me know if I can help you out.

David

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Irakly, $3500 is actually about what clean used M8's are selling for, so it is an accurate statement.

irakly

Irakly, $3500 is actually about what clean used M8's are selling for, so it is an accurate statement.
Jack, I disagree. For the past few days I've been shopping for M8 for one of my students. It's more like 3900-4200 in stores. ebay prices are indeed ~ $3500.

carstenw

Right, but unless you have a store, the only way to get it into one is to have them buy it from you for less. eBay almost invariably gets you a better price off a sale. Leica Camera Berlin takes 25%, but you can set the price as you want. That kind of cut is hard to gain back. The second thing is that the M8s selling for $4200 may not be moving...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Why not post a buy or sell request here? Used prices from individuals are about $3500 for clean M8s . Demos with a one year warranty are less than $4000 from dealers. Normally a few hundred under "fair market value" will sell it in a few days and no ebay nonsense.