The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What size are Series VII filters? ( need IR for elmarit 135)

dude163

Hi all

I need a ir cutout filter for my Elmarit 135 /2.8, but it uses the series VII ones, I cant seem to get an answer if its 54 or 55mm. does anyone know?

also , apart from the official Leica filters are there any other alternatives that would work?

Robert

b&w

It is 54 mm.

I once have an adapter from 54 to 55 mm, that will be cheaper than special filters.

dude163

Thanks gang! Ill do some checking into it

so a 54>55mm stepup ring plus a 486 filter would work?

fotoism

If you have the 14161 retaining ring for series VII filter you can fit a 49mm filter inside it and screw the retaining ring back on. If it is a bit loose you can just slide a narrow strip of paper between the filter and the ring to make it snug. That's what I did.

fotoism

There you go! I was looking for a series VII filter for my Elmarit until I found they are way more expensive than a 49mm.:)

dude163

the filter showed up, but I think im going to put it on top of the retaining ring and use some tape to keep it there , Im worried it will scratch the lens if i pout it underneath :(

fotoism

I doubt if the filter will scratch the lens because it's designed to be used that way. But if that makes you feel better then so be it. Just make sure your tape is strong enough to hold the filter in place so it won't fall off someday. Also, since the inside of the retaining ring is a slope make sure the filter is secured perfectly perpendicular to the lens axis to eliminate any possible distortion.