Site Sponsors

Thread: Is this a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this a problem

I have had this M8 body for one year and have had zero problems with it. I have shot about 18,000 frames. Today, I made a shot in fairly low light that had a bright light on the edge of the frame. This is what resulted. I saw it right away, and was able to repeat it again. My warranty runs out in March (this was a replacement body). Is this just a fluke, or do I need to contact Leica service?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Is this a problem

Cindy,
    This is the famous and incurable green-streak with strong light source at edge of sensor.
    It seems to be caused by light leaking past the sensor mask onto the dark reference pixels. The only cure is to frame the picture a little differently to avoid placing the light source there. A little more or a little less makes it go away.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Cindy,
    This is the famous and incurable green-streak with strong light source at edge of sensor.
    It seems to be caused by light leaking past the sensor mask onto the dark reference pixels. The only cure is to frame the picture a little differently to avoid placing the light source there. A little more or a little less makes it go away.
    -bob
    Bob,
    I just couldn't remember if it was a curable problem or not. I have never framed so badly in 18,000 as to cause it, so I guess I don't have to worry about it and I'll make sure my framing is more accurate in the future. Thanks for putting my mind at rest. (I think it is making me a little nervous to know that my warranty is running out--I did have 1 dead body and a second that had so many problems that Leica replaced it.)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes it is hardware and can't be fixed easily
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

leica promised that it would be fixed in their combined hardware/firmware upgrade, but evidently they could not do it. the hardware upgrade improved high iso substantially and made iso640 noise look very much like film grain, but the bloody green streak remained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I sent my original M8 in for the upgrade. Later, it was one of the first to die of SDS and it was sent to Leica Germany so they could take a look. They gave me a "new" camera which had a whole page of problems. I sent it in for repair and eventually, they sent me another camera instead of making me wait for the lengthy repair. I did not get this one till last September, but it has been perfect till today. I can certainly cope with this if it is just a matter of making sure that no bright light is on the edge of the frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Cindy,

Wow, that is like a picture from the Omen films.

If you want to be doubly sure you could perhaps email the picture to Leica and let them suggest the best course of action.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy,

I got a similar flare about a week ago with the M8 and 21mm Elmarit with a UV filter on it. It was the first one I had seen since I got the M8, probably around 6,000 clicks ago. It reminds me of the flare on my 20mm Nikkor except that instead of the smaller to larger bubbles moving away from the light source, the Leica seems to be this elongated, knife shaped form.
    O.C.

Post Thanks / Like

Cindy:

I just did a quick test after reading this post. Just to see.

Looks like my M8 using my 35/f2 Asph shot wide open w/o code is doing the same thing. It all depends on the framing. Streak or no streak it depends on where the light it.

The question still remains... Is this a problem or not?

Yes, it shouldn't do that, this is a Leica and it should not streak no matter where the light source is?
    No, all camera does that depending on how you frame it, this is extreme framing?

Robert.

Streak...
    Attachment 7918

No Streak...
    Attachment 7919

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All M8 do it.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the test, Rob.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mine does it too Cindy and I've never has any problems with mine.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO