The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sensor Cleaning

R

roberth

Recomendations please, my sensor has plenty of dust on it and I've never cleaned one before.

jonoslack

I agree with Tim
Arctic butterfly does a fine job - I've got the kit with the swabs as well, and I've used them once.

Funny thing though, the sensors don't seem to be getting so much dust on them these days:rolleyes:

Maggie O

I agree with Tim
Arctic butterfly does a fine job - I've got the kit with the swabs as well, and I've used them once.
+2 on that from me. I only had to use the swabs once, too. And that was right after I got the M8. I think there was a bit of lube on the sensor.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I just blow it out with a bulb most of the time and use isopropyl or e2 plus swab when that won't work.
-bob

R

roberth

I'll look for an arctic butterfly then, it seems there are a few methods of cleaning.

stephengilbert

Robert,

A more complete answer is to try dry cleaning first, using a brush. The Artic Butterfly spins the brush to rmove any dust from it and (allegedly) to impart a static charge that makes the brush attract and hold dust particles. Sensor crud that adheres to the sensor's glass cover requires a swab with a solution that will allow the crud to be removed when the dry method doesn't suffice. There are various wands made that can be wet with a few drops of cleaner (like Eclipse) and used to clean the sensor.

Good luck

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use Eclipse 2 and Sensor Swab pads for grease and spots. Also for just dust I use canned air but I don't recommend that unless you know what your doing. It's a little tricky

jonoslack

Robert,

A more complete answer is to try dry cleaning first, using a brush. The Artic Butterfly spins the brush to rmove any dust from it and (allegedly) to impart a static charge that makes the brush attract and hold dust particles. Sensor crud that adheres to the sensor's glass cover requires a swab with a solution that will allow the crud to be removed when the dry method doesn't suffice. There are various wands made that can be wet with a few drops of cleaner (like Eclipse) and used to clean the sensor.

Good luck
The visible dust kit's have both - really excellent swabs (the best I've used), and the brush, which, I can tell you, having tried lots of other techniques, really does work. An ordinary brush is definitely dodgy, as they often have oil on them, Canned air is dangerous because of the propellent (if you must, then CO2 cartridges are safer)

TimWright

Even C02 cartidges have lubricant. There is only one that I know of that uses pure air I think it is Recorder??? I will have to check the name when I am home.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think they do also Tim. I use canned air and and only at half full also and at a certain angle short blasts and into the wall of the camera. i don't recommend it though although i do demo it at the workshops for people.

Maggie O

I'm skeptical about the genuine danger of getting propellant on equipment. I used Peterson Dust-Off for nearly twenty years with nary a problem. Though, now that I think about it, I never did use it on glass, just on everything else, including negatives. Has canned air technology gone to the dirty dogs?

jonoslack

I think they do also Tim. I use canned air and and only at half full also and at a certain angle short blasts and into the wall of the camera. i don't recommend it though although i do demo it at the workshops for people.
I used to do it - I wasn't aware that those sparklets cylinders had oil in them . . . still, I've stopped using them nowadays as the Arctic butterfly seems to work so well (have you tried one Guy?)

Lisa

Try several rounds with a bulb blower first. If the dust isn't very stuck to the sensor, that will do it quickest, cheapest and with the least chance of damaging anything. If that doesn't work, the Arctic Butterfly is the next thing to try. If the dust is *really* stuck and the Butterfly doesn't get it off (which has happened to me only once), then wiping it with sensor swabs and Eclipse fluid (obtainable at better camera stores) should do it.

Lisa

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have an Arctic Butterfly, but it seems a redundant step to me if one is armed with wet cleaning supplies.
I have had only one mishap with it, which was a touch of some oily substance inside a camera contaminated it and caused a mess on the sensor.
Since I find I cannot eliminate the potential need for wet cleaning, nor can I drop the bulb blower since it solves 80% of my problems, I travel with both and leave the butterfly home.
-bob