The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 250mm Telyt R vs 280mm APO Telyt R

dmabry2010

Hello,

I have been impressed with a recently acquired 250mm Telyt R. Really sharp and nicely renders.

So much so, I was curious if someone has used this lens, as well as the 280mm APO Telyt (f4 or f2.8), to advise whether the APO is a step improvement and worth the extra cost.

I am finding I really enjoy shooting with long lenses on either the Visoflexx III, and even the Sony NEX-7.

Thank you,

dmabry2010

doug

Hello,

I have been impressed with a recently acquired 250mm Telyt R. Really sharp and nicely renders.

So much so, I was curious if someone has used this lens, as well as the 280mm APO Telyt (f4 or f2.8), to advise whether the APO is a step improvement and worth the extra cost.
I've used the late model 250mm Telyt, early 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt, and 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt. Optically, IMHO the 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt is an improvement over the late 250mm Telyt, both in the center and toward the edges. If your 250 is the early version, the closer minimum focus distance and rotating tripod collar of the 280mm f/2.8 APO is a very worthwhile improvement. Worth the extra cost, that's too subjective.

Compared with the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt I wouldn't say it's a step improvement. It's more like giant leap improvement. Diffraction-limited detail from the center to the edges at full aperture, rich color saturation with full gradation, excellent minimum focus distance, quick and precise internal focus, and a very solid rotating tripod collar, with decent bokeh and good flare resistance. Worth the extra cost? Still too subjective, but of these three lenses, guess which one I still have :D

dmabry2010

Thank you both for your insight. Time to start watching for one to come up for sale.

Looked up the 280mm APO Telyt F4 ... 670g!! :shocked:

..... And the 280mm APO F2.8 ... 3700g???!!! :bugeyes:

So much for hand holding.

Thank you both, again.

--dmabry2010