Site Sponsors

Thread: Leica 250mm Telyt R vs 280mm APO Telyt R

Post Thanks / Like

Leica 250mm Telyt R vs 280mm APO Telyt R

Hello,

I have been impressed with a recently acquired 250mm Telyt R. Really sharp and nicely renders.

So much so, I was curious if someone has used this lens, as well as the 280mm APO Telyt (f4 or f2.8), to advise whether the APO is a step improvement and worth the extra cost.

I am finding I really enjoy shooting with long lenses on either the Visoflexx III, and even the Sony NEX-7.

Thank you,

dmabry2010

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Leica 250mm Telyt R vs 280mm APO Telyt R

Quote Originally Posted by dmabry2010 View Post
    ... f2.8), to advise whether the APO is a step improvement and worth the extra cost.
    if you need f2,8 - yes. A very great lense, also with the APO converters. But, expensive, big and very, very heavy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmabry2010 View Post
    Hello,

I have been impressed with a recently acquired 250mm Telyt R. Really sharp and nicely renders.

So much so, I was curious if someone has used this lens, as well as the 280mm APO Telyt (f4 or f2.8), to advise whether the APO is a step improvement and worth the extra cost.
    I've used the late model 250mm Telyt, early 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt, and 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt. Optically, IMHO the 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt is an improvement over the late 250mm Telyt, both in the center and toward the edges. If your 250 is the early version, the closer minimum focus distance and rotating tripod collar of the 280mm f/2.8 APO is a very worthwhile improvement. Worth the extra cost, that's too subjective.

Compared with the 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt I wouldn't say it's a step improvement. It's more like giant leap improvement. Diffraction-limited detail from the center to the edges at full aperture, rich color saturation with full gradation, excellent minimum focus distance, quick and precise internal focus, and a very solid rotating tripod collar, with decent bokeh and good flare resistance. Worth the extra cost? Still too subjective, but of these three lenses, guess which one I still have
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both for your insight. Time to start watching for one to come up for sale.

Looked up the 280mm APO Telyt F4 ... 670g!!

..... And the 280mm APO F2.8 ... 3700g???!!!

So much for hand holding.

Thank you both, again.

--dmabry2010

Post Thanks / Like

The APO-Telyt is closer to 1700g. Certainly not 670g.