The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is DR 50 a keeper

VINCET

I am now down to just an M8.2 body so my question is, if it is worth spending the money on converting an old dual range 50mm summicron to work with the M8 body and have it 6 bit coded or do I just sell this and try to get a newer lens. This lens is in pretty good condition considering its age. I just like to know if there are any difference in the image quality.

Vince

Brian S

The Dual Range mechanism prevents it from mounting on the M8.2, have read that online and it is in the manual. to convert it for use, either the twin-cam has to be cut, or you need to find a Type I Rigid Summicron mount and use the optics module in it. The optics module is identical between the two, and it unscrews as a unit.

VINCET

That is true. That is why I am wondering if it is worth converting the lens or just try to sell it and get another one. I checked with DAG and he said that he can do the conversion. About $200 to do the conversion and 6 bit coding.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
That is true. That is why I am wondering if it is worth converting the lens or just try to sell it and get another one. I checked with DAG and he said that he can do the conversion. About $200 to do the conversion and 6 bit coding.
I've got a DR with the DAG conversion. It works perfectly.

If you went through a large pile of Life Magazines from 1954 to 1966 or so and picked out the icnonic images (say JFK in the rocker with John-John playing on the floor) you would probably find that a very substantial portion of them were made with the DR or rigid Summictorn. The DR and thr rigid are optically identical but there's an urban myth that lens cells that tested bedtter went into the DR. Its resolution is more than sufficient for pxel peeping except that wide open it gets softer around the edges, wihich won't be in play for an M8.2. Nice brokeh. It has a tendency toward flare not seen in the modern lenses. The Leica look may actually result from a bit of flare compensated for in printing by goosing contrast.

I use myine a fair amount.

VINCET

Woody, thanks for the info. Yeah, I always like this lens when I was shooting film. Glad to hear from someone who is using it with the M8. It will also be much less than buying a new lens :)