Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 31 of 31

Thread: sensor filter crack

  1. #1
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    sensor filter crack

    flew off to tokyo two days ago, took the M9 out of the backpack this morning to clean the sensor...sensor (filter) cracked on top left corner. useless piece of junk. off to yodobashi to buy a fuji X1Pro......held it in my hands but couldn't get myself to buy it. feels plasticky and big.
    bad day in the office---)))
    peter
    ps: also posted in the leica m9 forum.

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Yikes!

    How old was this M9? I thought Leica had put this all behind them.

    I'm sure they'll replace it.

    -Marc

  3. #3
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,607
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Are there reports of this happening with the M8s also?

  4. #4
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: sensor filter crack

    I'm sorry Peter. what a pain. hopefully they'll get it fixed fast. quite agree about the X100

    Just this guy you know

  5. #5
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Jono, I think he mentioned the X-Pro1, not the X100.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ario Arioldi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milano, Italy
    Posts
    784
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Are there reports of this happening with the M8s also?
    I never heard of similar accident to any M8.

  7. #7
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yikes!

    How old was this M9? I thought Leica had put this all behind them.

    I'm sure they'll replace it.

    -Marc
    marc,
    i had the M9 delivered one day before the official announcement---))). so technically it is out of warranty, but we shall see....
    anyway, even a tourist takes a backup along, i didn't. but i took all my five M lenses---))))
    peter

  8. #8
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Jono, I think he mentioned the X-Pro1, not the X100.
    yes, X-Pro1. i went to the store again in the afternoon and on second thought i bought the whole system, X-Pro1, all three available lenses and a flash. what the heck....i spent less for the whole lot than on my summilux M 35mm. japanese warranty only but if it breaks i shall send it to my japanese colleagues who will take care of it. i am sure that the turnaround will still be faster than the M repair in solms.
    fuji battery charging now.... maybe it only feels plasticky because it is sooo light. i shall report tomorrow in the fuji forum.
    all the best, peter
    ps: it was a bad day in the office, for my electronic equipment. in the evening my iphone 4s fell on the pavement and the front glass broke featuring an interesting spiderweb pattern. and this morning there was an earthquake, about 30 sec long....i was scared but my japanese friends shrugged it off elegantly...

  9. #9
    Subscriber Member kit laughlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Two suitcases and the latest MBA
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Mark, you'll get used to earthquakes there, really. I lived in Tokyo for exactly four years, to the day, and earthquakes are very common (small ones, of course). It's when you are having dinner in a Shinjuku skyscraper during an earthquake that things can be e bit discombobulating; the tops of those buildings whip metres backwards and forwards. Please report back on the X-Pro1, too. Did you get the M-mount too? I am much interested in how to focus M lenses accurately on one of these.

  10. #10
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    marc,
    i had the M9 delivered one day before the official announcement---))). so technically it is out of warranty, but we shall see....
    anyway, even a tourist takes a backup along, i didn't. but i took all my five M lenses---))))
    peter
    Hi Peter
    I'll be astonished if they don't fix it free. Even if it is technically out of warranty.

    Enjoy the X1pro - We'll all be interested in your feelings.

    all the best

    Just this guy you know

  11. #11
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Peter
    I'll be astonished if they don't fix it free. Even if it is technically out of warranty.

    Enjoy the X1pro - We'll all be interested in your feelings.

    all the best
    jono, i hope -and believe- they will fix it free. if not i am jost going to use it as paperweight and put the M lenses on the fuji, once the M adapter will be out.
    1.5 focal length factor---grrrrrr-----)))).
    peter

  12. #12
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    short update on the fuji XPro-1: extremely lightweight system (camera+3 lenses = 1kg), nevertheless build quality seems ok. there was a lot of rain in tokyo today so i did not take the camera out too much (not sure how much water it can take, probably not much), just shot around a bit in the restaurant this evening at 800 and 1600iso and outside at base iso this morning. conclusion: the RAW converter silkypix s...ks but detail is very good from base to 1600 iso. order of magnitude wise D3s level i would say without scientific comparism. i tried to find moiree (shooting all kinds of fabric) but couldn't in tests where the M9 would have created havoc. so preliminarily on IQ: very good resolution, excellent up to 1600iso, very nice color rendering, even skin tones.
    on the AF: absolutely ok for static subjects even in low light but i did not try moving targets. there is of course an issue with all mirrorless AF systems: the AF sensor area is quite large and inside the algorithm chooses what it wants and often not what you want. in order to avoid this there is no other way than to expand live view to 100%. same with the nikon 1 system.
    and the lenses: i only tried the 18mm and it seems to be doing very well, even as far as bookeh is concerned.
    if leica manages to build a fuji Xpro-1 full frame equivalent they would have a winner (with focus confirmation instead of AF). but i think that this is too much technology for them to absorb or to buy into.
    peter

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    You do know that Leica are the ones who invented autofocus but then sold it to Minolta (I think it was) as they didn't think serious photographers would want it. I own an M9, Nex7 and a couple of others Leica still sets the bar.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    183
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    peter sorry to hear of your misfortune, as a matter of interest was the back pack put into the hold or was it with you?

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    You do know that Leica are the ones who invented autofocus but then sold it to Minolta (I think it was) as they didn't think serious photographers would want it. I own an M9, Nex7 and a couple of others Leica still sets the bar.
    They invented some autofocus systems, but not really the systems used today--I understand they believed serious photographer would not use it because it was so slow. Minolta made the first autofocus SLR, but when they were sued and lost, it was not by Leica, but Honeywell. Pentax had the first autofocus lens for an SLR. And there were other autofocus systems before that for compact and instant cameras.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    I know that in the sixties and seventies Leica patented a number of autofocus related technologies and then showed the technology at Photokina in i think 1976 then sold the patent rights to Minolta. The rest as they say is history. Anyway the point is that I don't think that Leica has been doing nothing since the M9 and S2 were released.

  17. #17
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by ced View Post
    peter sorry to hear of your misfortune, as a matter of interest was the back pack put into the hold or was it with you?
    overhead compartment.
    peter

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Didn't Leica already state that they would fix any sensor with this issue warranty or not.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    Didn't Leica already state that they would fix any sensor with this issue warranty or not.
    Yes, they have said it many times.

    Steve

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    Anyway the point is that I don't think that Leica has been doing nothing since the M9 and S2 were released.
    True.
    They've been busy replacing cracked sensors,recalibrating inaccurate
    rangefinders,fixing front and back focussing lenses while at the same time
    producing a dribble of new lenses. Busy indeed

    Mark

  21. #21
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    True.
    They've been busy replacing cracked sensors,recalibrating inaccurate
    rangefinders,fixing front and back focussing lenses while at the same time
    producing a dribble of new lenses. Busy indeed

    Mark
    on top of my M9 problem the exposure meter of the S2 has failed yesterday.it adds about three stops to some frames, on average every second shutter release. amazing quality control issues for the most expensive almost-medium format system of the world. here i am in japan with about 7-8 kilos of the world's most expensive paper weight.
    leica for me is a no-go from now on. i should have known better after the m8 disaster....
    peter

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    True.
    They've been busy replacing cracked sensors,recalibrating inaccurate
    rangefinders,fixing front and back focussing lenses while at the same time
    producing a dribble of new lenses. Busy indeed

    Mark
    haha Mark, you've been listening to Jeff too much who by the way just bought an M6 yesterday. There have been very few cracked sensors and they are replacing them no questions asked. I have had an M8 and 2 M9's and only had an issue with 2 lenses, 1 just slightly off. Jean was able to get it fixed up pretty quick. I have had far more issues with my Canon gear and just had to send a lens in for my Pentax 645d that decided to lock up. I agree demand far exceeds supply on the lenses hopefully they will start catching up.

  23. #23
    Member Agnius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Santa Monica, California
    Posts
    135
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    on top of my M9 problem the exposure meter of the S2 has failed yesterday.it adds about three stops to some frames, on average every second shutter release. amazing quality control issues for the most expensive almost-medium format system of the world. here i am in japan with about 7-8 kilos of the world's most expensive paper weight.
    leica for me is a no-go from now on. i should have known better after the m8 disaster....
    peter
    Geez, that sounds like double trouble - broken M9 AND S2! Sorry to hear about your bad luck! And just when I was starting to think about a Leica body.... I guess I will have to wait as see what Photokina brings my way.

  24. #24
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by markowich View Post
    on top of my M9 problem the exposure meter of the S2 has failed yesterday.it adds about three stops to some frames, on average every second shutter release. amazing quality control issues for the most expensive almost-medium format system of the world. here i am in japan with about 7-8 kilos of the world's most expensive paper weight.
    leica for me is a no-go from now on. i should have known better after the m8 disaster....
    peter
    Assuming that you have not enabled exposure bracketing?

    Bob

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by TimWright View Post
    haha Mark, you've been listening to Jeff too much who by the way just bought an M6 yesterday.
    The same Jeff who recently liquidated his S2 and M9 kit

    Actually, I bought my own M9 so that I could experience it firsthand.
    If I'm going to talk the talk I may as well walk the walk.

    In short,my M9 and lenses are going back.
    Not worth the money to me given the adequate results and pissy
    little color and noise problems that make it less than useful for my needs.

    Mark

  26. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Yup the S2 is gone and the M9 will be but he is keeping the lenses for now.

  27. #27
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Assuming that you have not enabled exposure bracketing?

    Bob
    no--)))

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    This is begining to sound like that well known condition called 'camera tourism', similar too the travel tourism condition of 'been there, seen that, got the shits, not going back'.

    It doesn't matter if all the reasons I went there in the first place are still valid, country not currently at war (specifications meet needs), great locations (makes great images), but I ate a dodgy salad (unlucky to have the camera break down), so I'm going to declare war on the whole country. I understand scientists are linking it with the primal instinct to throw the doll out of the pram

    Steve

  29. #29
    Member markowich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cambridge (UK) and Vienna
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    This is begining to sound like that well known condition called 'camera tourism', similar too the travel tourism condition of 'been there, seen that, got the shits, not going back'.

    It doesn't matter if all the reasons I went there in the first place are still valid, country not currently at war (specifications meet needs), great locations (makes great images), but I ate a dodgy salad (unlucky to have the camera break down), so I'm going to declare war on the whole country. I understand scientists are linking it with the primal instinct to throw the doll out of the pram

    Steve
    steve,
    sorry but i am a complete loss about what you want to say.
    peter

  30. #30
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    It doesn't matter if all the reasons I went there in the first place are still valid, country not currently at war (specifications meet needs), great locations (makes great images), but I ate a dodgy salad (unlucky to have the camera break down), so I'm going to declare war on the whole country. I understand scientists are linking it with the primal instinct to throw the doll out of the pram

    Steve
    I thought it was being linked to the instinct to throw the baby out with the bathwater!

    Just this guy you know

  31. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: sensor filter crack

    Sounds like the classic, "don't say anything bad about Leica" theme even if
    you've paid yor money and were let down for some reason.

    Either that or don't eat the lettuce in Cancun.

    Mark
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •