Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: For Ireland ... wide angle options

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Hello!

    My wife and I are going to Ireland in July. I need to expand my wide angle options. A few years back I had a WATE, but sold it. At the time I made but money ... but now ...... :face smack:

    I did like the contrast, but with it at F4, I thought indoors was a challenge.

    I could buy again a WATE, but before I do, for near the same money, I could do an 18mm Super-angulon (F3.8) and a 21mm F2.8. I would have a faster 21mm, an 18mm, but no 16mm.

    One question is distortion of the two against the WATE. Does anyone have comparison regarding how the lens distortions compare?

    Thank you for your help.

    dmabry2010

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    6,955
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1145

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Are you using an M8 or M9?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Are you using an M8 or M9?
    Great question .... M9.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    I strongly recommend the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 used on M9.
    If you want an even wider lens as a complement, go all the way and get the Voigtlander 12mm.
    If you have the cash, the Zeiss 15mm looks fabulous.

    Personally I find 21mm to be the limit of what looks "natural". For some people, 18mm or even wider is the limit.

  5. #5
    Member Armanius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Posts
    210
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    +1 on the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8. I had one for about three weeks, and loved it! Superior to the Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 that I have, except in terms of size and price. Sharp wide open at 2.8, great contrast, good colors, limited distortion, and no red edges on the M9 when coded via the M9's menu as a 28 Elmarit. Highly recommended.

    Unfortunately most Voigtlander super-wides have the red edges issue on the M9. It is correctable with something like Corner Fix though.

    Have fun in Ireland!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    I own 21 and 24mm but I have to say in case I do use an ultrawide 21mm fits my needs much better. I dont need any wider.
    I own the 21/2.8asph but if I had to do it today I would probably go for a 21/3.4 Leica.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    100
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I strongly recommend the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 used on M9.
    If you want an even wider lens as a complement, go all the way and get the Voigtlander 12mm.
    If you have the cash, the Zeiss 15mm looks fabulous.

    Personally I find 21mm to be the limit of what looks "natural". For some people, 18mm or even wider is the limit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    +1 on the Zeiss Biogon 21/2.8. I had one for about three weeks, and loved it! Superior to the Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 that I have, except in terms of size and price. Sharp wide open at 2.8, great contrast, good colors, limited distortion, and no red edges on the M9 when coded via the M9's menu as a 28 Elmarit. Highly recommended.

    Unfortunately most Voigtlander super-wides have the red edges issue on the M9. It is correctable with something like Corner Fix though.

    Have fun in Ireland!
    Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    I own 21 and 24mm but I have to say in case I do use an ultrawide 21mm fits my needs much better. I dont need any wider.
    I own the 21/2.8asph but if I had to do it today I would probably go for a 21/3.4 Leica.
    Thank you all for your answers. As no one steered to the WATE, I am taking that to be there is less distortion and more flexibility (i.e. speed) with the 21mm 2.8.

    t_streng -- I was curious why you would go with the 21/3.4 if you had a chance to do it today.

    Again, thank you all.

    BTW -- I do have a 12mm Voigtlander -- purchased from a fellow forum member. I plan to bring it along, but needed something less wide, too.

    Michael

  8. #8
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Either the 21 or 25 ZMs would make great options and are relatively fast at f/2.8. IQ from either is stellar in every sense of the word. Proper coding is important as is the latest M9 firmware for best results.

    You might also consider the Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH. Also an excellent lens, but a stop faster for those "sunny" Irish days.

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Quote Originally Posted by dmabry2010 View Post
    ...
    t_streng -- I was curious why you would go with the 21/3.4 if you had a chance to do it today.
    ...
    Michael
    I read so much good about the 21/3.4 - very sharp, very low distorsion, and it has a smaller hood.
    But on the other side the 21/2.8 has worked very good for me - allways. Never saw any problem with it.

  10. #10
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: For Ireland ... wide angle options

    Ahh yes - another very nice lens, that 21/3.4. Just a bit slower.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •