The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2 'Snapshot' mode JPEG only?

jonoslack

HI John
I hope you're well

It leads one to wonder why they didn't beta test it . . . .
doesn't it

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I keep getting the feeling it's two steps forward and one step back.

I'm very well just bagged a Canon S-mount 50/1.2 for the IIIG.

jonoslack

I keep getting the feeling it's two steps forward and one step back.

I'm very well just bagged a Canon S-mount 50/1.2 for the IIIG.
I suppose that's better than one step forward and two steps back!

I just bagged a Sony A900 and Zeiss 24-70 f2.8 . . . . we live in strange times!

Terry

HI John
I hope you're well

It leads one to wonder why they didn't beta test it . . . .
doesn't it
As far as I can tell from other posts it works as advertised.....:) However, it is something you are bound to never use.

It is jpeg only

Help is available (DOF info) on wide angle lenses (Tim went back and found that it did work)

jonoslack

As far as I can tell from other posts it works as advertised.....:) However, it is something you are bound to never use.

It is jpeg only

Help is available (DOF info) on wide angle lenses (Tim went back and found that it did work)
Fair enough . . . but as far as I can tell they've missed the opportunity to improve the jpg quality . . . I rather approve of jpgs as long as it's well implemented and not too compressed.

j. white

Snapshot mode is something of a curiosity, even a non-feature in my opinion. Is this something that anyone really needs or wants?

-J.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Snapshot mode is something of a curiosity, even a non-feature in my opinion. Is this something that anyone really needs or wants?

-J.
I hate to say this but more M8 users may shoot just JPEG than we know. In May 07, I attended the Dallas Leica M8 workshop and of the dozen M8 users (had not bought yet) all but one only shot JPEG. I was to say the least amazed.

You have to remember forums like this tend to only attract the hard core. :toocool:

j. white

That does make sense John. As I'm currently backing up the 50 Gb of raw images I've shot in the past four months alone, I can see the reasons why people, even most people, would want to shoot JPEGs.

It's odd to me that people think of doing post on their images as being more work than they'd like to do - as though shooting JPEG is done out of laziness. Isn't really the other way around? I shoot RAW in part because I lack the discipline required to determine proper white balance while shooting - I'd much rather concentrate on composition and focusing, and handle such technical details in post. Obviously RAW has other advantages, but as a direct comparison to the act of shooting one over the other, that's the clincher for me.