The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10 to be Announced?

sixb

I think if Leica did come out with B&W sensor based camera at a lower price point and had an enhanced upgrade path for both the new camera and the M9 to address market trends and tech innovations- that would be something. No need for an M10. Ever. As well, Leica would then become the first digital camera company that makes digital cameras that never become obsolete. Pretty responsible marketing if you ask me...The original M8 plan if I'm correct.

jonoslack

They will announce their new camera line which is below the M9. Adressing the smaller wallet. Something like the new Fuji X Pro 1. APS Sensor and Leica M mount....
But Why?
If they're already constrained with deliveries, especially for M lenses - why on earth would they produce something with necessarily less profit, which would increase demand for something they can't produce fast enough (M lenses).

You address the smaller wallet when you've got all you can out of the bigger wallet!

emr

But Why?
If they're already constrained with deliveries, especially for M lenses - why on earth would they produce something with necessarily less profit, which would increase demand for something they can't produce fast enough (M lenses).
IIRC a Leica big shot mentioned in an interview last year that they're indeed bringing a camera line below M series, something that can use M lenses (with or without an adapter?).

rrdiaz30

...The date of the '10th' is a total coincidence and it is the announcement of the EVIL camera, a camera that Leica desperately need to release soon if they aren't going to be left further behind.

Steve
Lets hope that it is not a re-badged Lumix DMC-GX-1.

+1 for a B&W version of the M9.

Rick

S

sggelb

Does anyone know about rumours that with the large investment/sale of 44% of leica that they will be ramping up lens production?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The answer really to that question is have they moved into the new facilities yet and I am kicking myself since I can't remember the name of the town and I stayed there for several days.

Had to look it up Wetzlar

jonoslack

IIRC a Leica big shot mentioned in an interview last year that they're indeed bringing a camera line below M series, something that can use M lenses (with or without an adapter?).
Yes indeed - there was an interview in BJP about it. But it doesn't alter my point!

Lets hope that it is not a re-badged Lumix DMC-GX-1.

+1 for a B&W version of the M9.

Rick
HI Rick
Let's hope not . . . I think they said that it would have at least an APSc sized sensor, so that kind of rules out Panasonic.

all the best

jonoslack

The answer really to that question is have they moved into the new facilities yet and I am kicking myself since I can't remember the name of the town and I stayed there for several days.

Had to look it up Wetzlar
HI Guy
I don't think they've moved to Wetzlar yet - I think production moves at the end of 2013.

V

Vivek

HI Rick
Let's hope not . . . I think they said that it would have at least an APSc sized sensor, so that kind of rules out Panasonic.

all the best
Although, a true B&W camera based on Panasonic's 16MP NMOS sensor (from the GH-2) would be just terrific!

emr

This may be a bit off topic, but why is it that people often wish a true B&W sensor? What's there to be gained compared to a colour Bayer sensor and converting the images to B&W?

V

Vivek

Quite simply, better sensitivity and DR. Google achromatic+ and check out the info related to it.

jonoslack

This may be a bit off topic, but why is it that people often wish a true B&W sensor? What's there to be gained compared to a colour Bayer sensor and converting the images to B&W?
Hi There
Well, the answer is in your question.
With a Bayer filter the camera does a demosaicing process, combining groups of 4 pixels and then comparing them with adjacent pixels, and then coming to an arrangement. . . . it's very good at it, but basically, even without an AA filter, the pixels you get are the result of a lot of calculations.

With a monochrome sensor, none of this is necessary, each pixel is what it is, you might assume you get 4 times the resolution, but Bayer logic is very good, and you'll probably find that you get about 2 times the resolution with a B&W sensor to a colour sensor with the equivalent pixel count.

Add to that that no filter means that the high ISO is increased, not sure how much ISO a Bayer filter equates to, but it's bound to be 2 or 3 stops.

V

Vivek

A 2-3 stop gain is entirely possible without the Bayer dyes and if microlenses are present.

I thought Ricoh/Pentax would be the first to do it but if Leica do that, fine. I would like one like many others.

chrism

I'd buy one, but no LCD means no way of inputting menu settings - and it can't be done through an optical viewfinder either.

Chris

FrozenInTime

I'd buy one, but no LCD means no way of inputting menu settings
It's a tantalizing and interesting concept:

The beauty of a truly digital version of a B&W film camera, is that there need not be any menus :)

Other than the traditional shutter and ISO dials what else is really needed ?

DNG + jpeg only
No color balance
Exposure compensation only via ISO
No bracketing
One wind-on mode - perhaps even mechanical
Card format only using a protected action slide switch under the base plate

The film counter could be in the same place as a film M - but would be a LCD like the M8. The R lever on the front of the film M could be a switch to toggle between battery life and frame count.

To keep the body as thin as a film M, the lens flange could be extended slightly, like a mirror box, keeping the rest of the body depth down.

I'm sure a M10 digital retro MP look-alike with a optical RF and no LCD could be do-able IF they so chose. But the possibility of an EVF based M mount seems more realistic ... as well as sooner or later a true M9 replacement - perhaps that is the M11 ;)

Paratom

I also like old cameras and I like a simple user interface but specially if light gets difficult I find image display/check and histogramm important.