Site Sponsors

Thread: 50mm Summarit vs Summicron for my M3

Post Thanks / Like

50mm Summarit vs Summicron for my M3

I recently purchased an M3 to satisfy occasional nostalgia .
    It came with a 50mm Summarit 1.5, which is in pretty good condition. To the naked eye it looks very good, but it does have the usual blemishes when you hold a penlight to it - but nothing disastrous.
    I understand that the Summicron f/2 is rated to be better, but my question is: by how much? If the difference is really worth it, I would get myself a Summicron (rigid, I don't care for the collapsible nor the DR with goggles).

Can anyone who has experience with both please share observations, opinion between these two?
    Frits

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 50mm Summarit vs Summicron for my M3

I haven't had both, but I have owned a very nice Summarit f/1.5. I think it's safe to say that, today, the Summarit is considered a "character" lens (at least wide-open), and the Summicron is considered a "faithful" lens: sharper and more corrected.

I didn't love the Summarit on my M8, so I sold it. A bit later, I bought an M2 and wished I'd kept it for B&W film. I'd say keep yours for a while and shoot it at varying apertures to see how it works. It can produce stunning results wide-open or near to. Stunning, if you like swirly bokeh and low contrast.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Stopped down to F4- hard to tell the difference in the images. Wide-open, the Summarit is soft. At F2- much improved.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Why not use it for some time and see how it works for you?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    I think it's safe to say that, today, the Summarit is considered a "character" lens (at least wide-open), and the Summicron is considered a "faithful" lens: sharper and more corrected.
    That seems to be shared by many.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    Stopped down to F4- hard to tell the difference in the images. Wide-open, the Summarit is soft. At F2- much improved.
    That is very helpful. I am not a big fan of "wide open". If indeed things even out at F4, then I will be fine with the Summarit. The odd time that I would go at larger aperture would probably even be nice if somewhat softer.

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Why not use it for some time and see how it works for you?
    I would do that, but I will have an opportunity for a nice Summicron in a couple of weeks. I will try to shoot a bit by then, but it probably won't be much (very busy at work plus pretty drab time of the year).
    Frits