Site Sponsors

Thread: 50 Lux arrived - couple of quick photos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

50 Lux arrived - couple of quick photos!

After two years of using CV lenses on my M9, which are great performers by the way, I went nuts and was able to get a new 50 Lux with a trusty Leica dealer (and avoid the price gouging from used Lux's selling for $4500+). I've never owned a Leica lens other than an used 90 Cron (pre-asph) that rarely sees any action, because it's just too heavy and big to use on an every day basis.

I took a few test photos with the 50 Lux around the office as well as some with my trusty Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5. By looking only on the M9's horrible LCD, at wide open apertures, the Nokton appears to have a slight sharpness edge over the Lux. But the Lux has more contrast, creamier bokeh, and more "pop."

When I got home, I took a couple of photos of my neighbour's flowers as my usual trusty model (the girlfriend soon to be fiancé) is out of town. The Lux really produces a good 3D pop when I'm able to nail the focus. That DOF seems to be razor thin though, relatively thinner than the Nokton, even though the max aperture is nearly the same (1.4 vs. 1.5).

f1.4

f2 ... I think.

f1.4 or maybe it was f2

f1.4

ps: I decided that I better buy all the gear I can right now, before my gear slush fund disappears when I get hitched.
    Last edited by Armanius; 24th March 2012 at 01:35.
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 50 Lux arrived - couple of quick photos!

... before my gear slush fund disappears when I get hitched.
    Smart move!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosermage View Post
    Smart move!
    Thanks. I also need to get at least a 35 and a wide before it's too late!
    Armanius
    My Flickr
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations! I just received my Leica 50/1.4 ASPH also ... and uncharacteristically resisted paying more for a used one (I sold my 50/0.95 to help reduce over-all bulk).

Be sure to bench test your new 50/1.4 to make sure it is properly calibrated ... it should be razor sharp at the point of critical focus ... and be sure you do not accidentally exceed the close focussing limit. I do that sort of testing on a Tripod to mitigate human error (like slight body sway) ...

If you find the 90/2 too bulky, sell it and track down the much smaller, later model 90/2.8, It is the "sleeper lens" in the M line up, which I prefer over any M90mm for portrait work.

Since you already have a 50/1.4, perhaps consider a M28/2 ASPH for a wider solution, A 28, 50, 90 is a terrific three lens set-up.

Whatever you do, do it fast ... "I Do." actually means "I Won't", when it comes to paying Leica prices for lenses that is just about impossible to explain ... or will cost you the price of the lens and the price of a strand of pearls

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I agree on the most recent Elmarit 90. I finally got one a few weeks ago. Solid, not too heavy, great rendering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Congratulations! I just received my Leica 50/1.4 ASPH also ... and uncharacteristically resisted paying more for a used one (I sold my 50/0.95 to help reduce over-all bulk).

Be sure to bench test your new 50/1.4 to make sure it is properly calibrated ... it should be razor sharp at the point of critical focus ... and be sure you do not accidentally exceed the close focussing limit. I do that sort of testing on a Tripod to mitigate human error (like slight body sway) ...

If you find the 90/2 too bulky, sell it and track down the much smaller, later model 90/2.8, It is the "sleeper lens" in the M line up, which I prefer over any M90mm for portrait work.

Since you already have a 50/1.4, perhaps consider a M28/2 ASPH for a wider solution, A 28, 50, 90 is a terrific three lens set-up.

Whatever you do, do it fast ... "I Do." actually means "I Won't", when it comes to paying Leica prices for lenses that is just about impossible to explain ... or will cost you the price of the lens and the price of a strand of pearls

-Marc
    Thanks Marc!! I do need (or rather, want to) pick up a couple more lens before it's too late!

Congrats on your new 50 Lux too!! Maybe they are starting to be somewhat back in stock ... ?

For longer but smaller, I'm very happy with my current Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5. Small, light, fast enough, sharp, and very good bokeh.

For wide, I currently have a Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 and the Nokton 35/1.4. Both are great performers too, but there's the red edge issue with the 21 on a M9. The Nokton is a little soft wide open, so I just ordered a Biogon-c 35/2.8 to be used as my daylight lens. I'd love a 28 Cron, but that sucker is even more expensive than a 50 Lux!!

I am looking to pick up a super-wide, but torn between getting a 21 Biogon vs. 25 Biogon. I had a 21 Biogon, and absolutely loved it. Much better than my Skopar 21, and no red edge issues. But given that I already have a 21, I couldn't justify keeping two 21's. By rationalizing, I am thinking that a 25 Biogon would be justifiable!! But given that I've never really shot anything at the 25 (or 24) focal length equivalent in any format, I'm not sure if I'll like the 25 focal length. Not considering the Leica's right now, because I really can't afford another red dot lens for now (or else it'd really eat into the wedding budget).

As for calibration, I think my M9 is front focusing just a little bit. Taking photos with both the new Lux and my old trusty Nokton 50/1.5, the areas just a tad bit closer to me seem sharper than where I am aiming at. That's what is called front focusing right?

Is front (or back) focusing an issue with the lens, the camera, or both?

Thanks!!

-Armando
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

Congrat's Armanius,
    in my view if I had to live with only one lens, this is the one.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Congrat's Armanius,
    in my view if I had to live with only one lens, this is the one.
    Thanks Ario! If I had to live with only one, I'd be very torn between a 35 and 50. For me, the 35 seems more versatile. So maybe my "only" lens would be a 35 Lux. Alas, that surely isn't going to happen anytime soon!!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Armanius View Post
    Thanks Marc!! I do need (or rather, want to) pick up a couple more lens before it's too late!

Congrats on your new 50 Lux too!! Maybe they are starting to be somewhat back in stock ... ?

For longer but smaller, I'm very happy with my current Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5. Small, light, fast enough, sharp, and very good bokeh.

For wide, I currently have a Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 and the Nokton 35/1.4. Both are great performers too, but there's the red edge issue with the 21 on a M9. The Nokton is a little soft wide open, so I just ordered a Biogon-c 35/2.8 to be used as my daylight lens. I'd love a 28 Cron, but that sucker is even more expensive than a 50 Lux!!

I am looking to pick up a super-wide, but torn between getting a 21 Biogon vs. 25 Biogon. I had a 21 Biogon, and absolutely loved it. Much better than my Skopar 21, and no red edge issues. But given that I already have a 21, I couldn't justify keeping two 21's. By rationalizing, I am thinking that a 25 Biogon would be justifiable!! But given that I've never really shot anything at the 25 (or 24) focal length equivalent in any format, I'm not sure if I'll like the 25 focal length. Not considering the Leica's right now, because I really can't afford another red dot lens for now (or else it'd really eat into the wedding budget).

As for calibration, I think my M9 is front focusing just a little bit. Taking photos with both the new Lux and my old trusty Nokton 50/1.5, the areas just a tad bit closer to me seem sharper than where I am aiming at. That's what is called front focusing right?

Is front (or back) focusing an issue with the lens, the camera, or both?

Thanks!!

-Armando
    Front/back focusing is not inherent with the 50/1.4 ASPH, so if it is not dead on, then either the rangefinder in the camera needs to be adjusted, or the lens needs to be better calibrated. However, to eliminate user error, check it all out on a tripod to be sure.

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Armanius, congratulations on your new acquisition.

A stellar lens, photogrphically and investment wise!!

Enjoy it in good health and fortune.

Best regards.
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Armanius, congratulations on your new acquisition.

A stellar lens, photogrphically and investment wise!!

Enjoy it in good health and fortune.

Best regards.
    Thank you!!!

I suppose, if I just hold onto the Lux, it should appreciate more than my retirement fund right? It's not too hard to beat a negative number though!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My usual unpaid model is back in town. So I had a chance to use the new Lux on her. The out of focus rendering on the Lux is awesome.

Armanius
    My Flickr

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

A very smart move, and congrats!

The Summilux is a ridiculously amazing lens. Sharp, beautiful rendering/bokeh, colors, etc. It's pricey but it's just damn good. It has quickly become my favorite.

I'll probably get the 35/FLE also because I think I might like the focal length a little better... But I've seen sample photos and I'm not totally sold on the look. I think I'd prefer the 50 as far as that goes.

FWIW, should you decide to sell - you certainly won't be losing money.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    A very smart move, and congrats!

The Summilux is a ridiculously amazing lens. Sharp, beautiful rendering/bokeh, colors, etc. It's pricey but it's just damn good. It has quickly become my favorite.

I'll probably get the 35/FLE also because I think I might like the focal length a little better... But I've seen sample photos and I'm not totally sold on the look. I think I'd prefer the 50 as far as that goes.

FWIW, should you decide to sell - you certainly won't be losing money.
    My feeling is the 50 Summilux asph has a little smoother bokeh, the 35 fle a little bit more "life" in the bokeh and a little crisper.
    I think I like the 35 FLE a even better.
    Its now just my taste that I dont want things to look harsh but also things dont have to look buttery smooth.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    My feeling is the 50 Summilux asph has a little smoother bokeh, the 35 fle a little bit more "life" in the bokeh and a little crisper.
    I think I like the 35 FLE a even better.
    Its now just my taste that I dont want things to look harsh but also things dont have to look buttery smooth.
    That's exactly my feeling of the bokeh as well. Though I prefer the pre-FLE over the FLE. Heh.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it worth pointing out that a Summilux does have seven other available apertures?

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Is it worth pointing out that a Summilux does have seven other available apertures?

Steve
    Does it? Hmmm... I never realized it. In the words of Ricky Bobby - "I just wanna go fast!!!"
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    lolwhuh?

"If it's not wide open, its crap!" - Internet

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

That's exactly my feeling of the bokeh as well. Though I prefer the pre-FLE over the FLE. Heh.
    The Bokeh maybe but I really like how reliable one can focus the new version (FLE), and the sme is true for the new Noctilux.
    I am a believer that when calibrated accurate, and if a lens does not suffer from focus shift, one can focus very fast and accurate with a rangefinder camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I guess I need more practice with the fast and accurate thing! Or lasik surgery. Or both!!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    The Bokeh maybe but I really like how reliable one can focus the new version (FLE), and the sme is true for the new Noctilux.
    I am a believer that when calibrated accurate, and if a lens does not suffer from focus shift, one can focus very fast and accurate with a rangefinder camera.
    Well yeah, no doubt. No more focus shift is a beautiful thing. One less thing to worry about. For the Sonnar ZM I'm willing to make an exception, but generally it's just a PITA.

I'm with you - I've never had a problem focusing any lens on an RF. Of course, getting my eyesight corrected for helped a lot (I use a Walter RX Eyepiece), but that's my problem not the camera's.

Post Thanks / Like

Find a 35 lux version 1 with insignificant focus shift, just a fantastic lens. My sample has never caused a focus problem in 5 years of shooting, (between 1.4 and 8) and as much as I love the 50 lux, it's on my M9 90% of the time.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the lens, Armando, and sorry to just see this thread now....The 50 lux asph is great, and the 35 lux FLE or prior ASPH are both fantastic...can't go wrong there. As mentioned already, The 35 lux FLE has a bit more life/soul/character/whathaveyou than the 50 lux asph, which is more perfected...And the prior asph seems to render a gentler bokeh...I like the FLE version the best, but it's the one I have LOL
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Ashwin! It is a great lens indeed! Kinda pricey though. But I suppose I can make myself feel better by saying that it's less than 1/2 the price of a Noct!
    Armanius
    My Flickr

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the 50mm Lux asph...it never ceases to amaze me. I too am not a big fan of the new FLE. I like that it doesn't focus shift and it is most definitely, sharp edge to edge...it just has a look and a bokeh that doesn't quite have a signature or charater in my opinion. The bokeh too is something thats is more appeaking in the pre FLE version. In comparison, the 50mm Lux asph, regardless of how sharp it is, does have a look that appeals to many, even those that also love the pre asph version.

One 35mm to consider is, especially if watching the $$ is the new VC 35mm f1.2 II. If anything, it draws similary to the pre FLE Leica 35mm asph and may even be sharper in the central part of the frame, especially when used wide open. It doesn't exhibiut focus shift to any noticable degree. The one drawback to some is the physical size of the lens but except for that, it has a lot going for it and a lot of users who loved the look and performance of the pre FLE 35mm asph except for its focus shift, have now graviated to this VC lens. Just presenting some alternatives.

Dave (D&A)