The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

50 Lux arrived - couple of quick photos!

Armanius

After two years of using CV lenses on my M9, which are great performers by the way, I went nuts and was able to get a new 50 Lux with a trusty Leica dealer (and avoid the price gouging from used Lux's selling for $4500+). I've never owned a Leica lens other than an used 90 Cron (pre-asph) that rarely sees any action, because it's just too heavy and big to use on an every day basis.

I took a few test photos with the 50 Lux around the office as well as some with my trusty Voigtlander Nokton 50/1.5. By looking only on the M9's horrible LCD, at wide open apertures, the Nokton appears to have a slight sharpness edge over the Lux. But the Lux has more contrast, creamier bokeh, and more "pop."

When I got home, I took a couple of photos of my neighbour's flowers as my usual trusty model (the girlfriend soon to be fiancé) is out of town. The Lux really produces a good 3D pop when I'm able to nail the focus. That DOF seems to be razor thin though, relatively thinner than the Nokton, even though the max aperture is nearly the same (1.4 vs. 1.5).

f1.4

f2 ... I think.

f1.4 or maybe it was f2

f1.4

ps: I decided that I better buy all the gear I can right now, before my gear slush fund disappears when I get hitched.

Last edited:

fotografz

Congratulations! I just received my Leica 50/1.4 ASPH also ... and uncharacteristically resisted paying more for a used one ;) (I sold my 50/0.95 to help reduce over-all bulk).

Be sure to bench test your new 50/1.4 to make sure it is properly calibrated ... it should be razor sharp at the point of critical focus ... and be sure you do not accidentally exceed the close focussing limit. I do that sort of testing on a Tripod to mitigate human error (like slight body sway) ...

If you find the 90/2 too bulky, sell it and track down the much smaller, later model 90/2.8, It is the "sleeper lens" in the M line up, which I prefer over any M90mm for portrait work.

Since you already have a 50/1.4, perhaps consider a M28/2 ASPH for a wider solution, A 28, 50, 90 is a terrific three lens set-up.

Whatever you do, do it fast ... "I Do." actually means "I Won't", when it comes to paying Leica prices for lenses that is just about impossible to explain ... or will cost you the price of the lens and the price of a strand of pearls :ROTFL:

-Marc

ramosa

I agree on the most recent Elmarit 90. I finally got one a few weeks ago. Solid, not too heavy, great rendering.

Armanius

Congratulations! I just received my Leica 50/1.4 ASPH also ... and uncharacteristically resisted paying more for a used one ;) (I sold my 50/0.95 to help reduce over-all bulk).

Be sure to bench test your new 50/1.4 to make sure it is properly calibrated ... it should be razor sharp at the point of critical focus ... and be sure you do not accidentally exceed the close focussing limit. I do that sort of testing on a Tripod to mitigate human error (like slight body sway) ...

If you find the 90/2 too bulky, sell it and track down the much smaller, later model 90/2.8, It is the "sleeper lens" in the M line up, which I prefer over any M90mm for portrait work.

Since you already have a 50/1.4, perhaps consider a M28/2 ASPH for a wider solution, A 28, 50, 90 is a terrific three lens set-up.

Whatever you do, do it fast ... "I Do." actually means "I Won't", when it comes to paying Leica prices for lenses that is just about impossible to explain ... or will cost you the price of the lens and the price of a strand of pearls :ROTFL:

-Marc
Thanks Marc!! I do need (or rather, want to) pick up a couple more lens before it's too late!

Congrats on your new 50 Lux too!! Maybe they are starting to be somewhat back in stock ... ?

For longer but smaller, I'm very happy with my current Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5. Small, light, fast enough, sharp, and very good bokeh.

For wide, I currently have a Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 and the Nokton 35/1.4. Both are great performers too, but there's the red edge issue with the 21 on a M9. The Nokton is a little soft wide open, so I just ordered a Biogon-c 35/2.8 to be used as my daylight lens. I'd love a 28 Cron, but that sucker is even more expensive than a 50 Lux!! :(

I am looking to pick up a super-wide, but torn between getting a 21 Biogon vs. 25 Biogon. I had a 21 Biogon, and absolutely loved it. Much better than my Skopar 21, and no red edge issues. But given that I already have a 21, I couldn't justify keeping two 21's. By rationalizing, I am thinking that a 25 Biogon would be justifiable!! :) But given that I've never really shot anything at the 25 (or 24) focal length equivalent in any format, I'm not sure if I'll like the 25 focal length. Not considering the Leica's right now, because I really can't afford another red dot lens for now (or else it'd really eat into the wedding budget).

As for calibration, I think my M9 is front focusing just a little bit. Taking photos with both the new Lux and my old trusty Nokton 50/1.5, the areas just a tad bit closer to me seem sharper than where I am aiming at. That's what is called front focusing right?

Is front (or back) focusing an issue with the lens, the camera, or both?

Thanks!!

-Armando

Armanius

Congrat's Armanius,
in my view if I had to live with only one lens, this is the one.
Thanks Ario! If I had to live with only one, I'd be very torn between a 35 and 50. For me, the 35 seems more versatile. So maybe my "only" lens would be a 35 Lux. Alas, that surely isn't going to happen anytime soon!!

fotografz

Thanks Marc!! I do need (or rather, want to) pick up a couple more lens before it's too late!

Congrats on your new 50 Lux too!! Maybe they are starting to be somewhat back in stock ... ?

For longer but smaller, I'm very happy with my current Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5. Small, light, fast enough, sharp, and very good bokeh.

For wide, I currently have a Voigtlander Skopar 21/4 and the Nokton 35/1.4. Both are great performers too, but there's the red edge issue with the 21 on a M9. The Nokton is a little soft wide open, so I just ordered a Biogon-c 35/2.8 to be used as my daylight lens. I'd love a 28 Cron, but that sucker is even more expensive than a 50 Lux!! :(

I am looking to pick up a super-wide, but torn between getting a 21 Biogon vs. 25 Biogon. I had a 21 Biogon, and absolutely loved it. Much better than my Skopar 21, and no red edge issues. But given that I already have a 21, I couldn't justify keeping two 21's. By rationalizing, I am thinking that a 25 Biogon would be justifiable!! :) But given that I've never really shot anything at the 25 (or 24) focal length equivalent in any format, I'm not sure if I'll like the 25 focal length. Not considering the Leica's right now, because I really can't afford another red dot lens for now (or else it'd really eat into the wedding budget).

As for calibration, I think my M9 is front focusing just a little bit. Taking photos with both the new Lux and my old trusty Nokton 50/1.5, the areas just a tad bit closer to me seem sharper than where I am aiming at. That's what is called front focusing right?

Is front (or back) focusing an issue with the lens, the camera, or both?

Thanks!!

-Armando
Front/back focusing is not inherent with the 50/1.4 ASPH, so if it is not dead on, then either the rangefinder in the camera needs to be adjusted, or the lens needs to be better calibrated. However, to eliminate user error, check it all out on a tripod to be sure.

-Marc

rayyan

Armanius, congratulations on your new acquisition.

A stellar lens, photogrphically and investment wise!!:D

Enjoy it in good health and fortune.

Best regards.

Armanius

Armanius, congratulations on your new acquisition.

A stellar lens, photogrphically and investment wise!!:D

Enjoy it in good health and fortune.

Best regards.
Thank you!!!

I suppose, if I just hold onto the Lux, it should appreciate more than my retirement fund right? It's not too hard to beat a negative number though!

Armanius

My usual unpaid model is back in town. So I had a chance to use the new Lux on her. The out of focus rendering on the Lux is awesome.

Double Negative

Not Available
A very smart move, and congrats!

The Summilux is a ridiculously amazing lens. Sharp, beautiful rendering/bokeh, colors, etc. It's pricey but it's just damn good. It has quickly become my favorite.

I'll probably get the 35/FLE also because I think I might like the focal length a little better... But I've seen sample photos and I'm not totally sold on the look. I think I'd prefer the 50 as far as that goes.

FWIW, should you decide to sell - you certainly won't be losing money.

Paratom

A very smart move, and congrats!

The Summilux is a ridiculously amazing lens. Sharp, beautiful rendering/bokeh, colors, etc. It's pricey but it's just damn good. It has quickly become my favorite.

I'll probably get the 35/FLE also because I think I might like the focal length a little better... But I've seen sample photos and I'm not totally sold on the look. I think I'd prefer the 50 as far as that goes.

FWIW, should you decide to sell - you certainly won't be losing money.
My feeling is the 50 Summilux asph has a little smoother bokeh, the 35 fle a little bit more "life" in the bokeh and a little crisper.
I think I like the 35 FLE a even better.
Its now just my taste that I dont want things to look harsh but also things dont have to look buttery smooth.

Double Negative

Not Available
My feeling is the 50 Summilux asph has a little smoother bokeh, the 35 fle a little bit more "life" in the bokeh and a little crisper.
I think I like the 35 FLE a even better.
Its now just my taste that I dont want things to look harsh but also things dont have to look buttery smooth.
That's exactly my feeling of the bokeh as well. Though I prefer the pre-FLE over the FLE. Heh. :)

Paratom

That's exactly my feeling of the bokeh as well. Though I prefer the pre-FLE over the FLE. Heh. :)
The Bokeh maybe but I really like how reliable one can focus the new version (FLE), and the sme is true for the new Noctilux.
I am a believer that when calibrated accurate, and if a lens does not suffer from focus shift, one can focus very fast and accurate with a rangefinder camera.