The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex-7 - M9 comparision

kevin2i

Not a scientific test ;), just a few shots comparing noise of an M9 and Nex-7. Both with 35mm Summicron. Both images are 100% I did a little step-back zooming with the Nex, however image sizes are not identical. Downsizing the Nex image to 18MP does clean up the noise significantly.

I was a little surprised to see noise at iso 200 on the Nex. The 24MP APS-C just can't hold its own vs a full-frame sensor (my comparison with a 5dII is similar). This is a fun camera (capable of good results) but I found it a compromise between the 5dII and M9. Disappointing in studio shots (EVF and peaking doesn't work well with models,) and since the 18-55mm is really a snap-shooter, I sold it (at a tiny profit). I did try it with both a Leica R adapter and Leica m/helicoid - very cool. My opinion:rolleyes:: Nice gadget, but not a must have for someone with a DSLR and M9 kit. Build a FF version, I'll try again. Shots within 1/2 stop, screenshot from LR, Nex 7 on left:
200ISO

1600 ISO: M9 WB better (off-white mannequin).

Armanius

Thanks for the comparison!

I sold the NEX7 after three days of testing w/ M lenses. I bought the NEX7 to use exclusively as a MF camera, and perhaps replace the M9. I didn't keep it primarily because it was still easier to manually focus using a rangefinder. While the peaking was good, it wasn't as good as it could or should be. When using the EVF, the shimmering from the peaking wasn't as obvious as using the LCD. That was a bummer for me, because I like using the EVF more. I was also bummed that the shimmering disappears when using the focus magnify. I may pick up the NEX7 again if Sony issues a firmware improving the peaking.

As for the IQ, I also saw the noise even at low ISO. But the good thing with the NEX7, at least to my eyes, is the very fine grain in the noise. I didn't see much if any banding even at 6400. Lightroom 4's noise reduction worked very well on the NEX7's files, while still retaining good details. And like you said, downsize the photo to 18 or 16 mp, and the noise is minimal. I wish the M9 at 2500 was as least on par with the NEX7 at 6400.

kevin2i

I do give credit to Sony for innovation, it just doesn't compete with an M9 or 5d II in terms of output or handling.

The Nex does beat the M9 at ISO 6400, video and macro . . . ;)