The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Luigi case and straps - questions!

Armanius

I've been wanting to splurge on a nice strap and a new case. But Luigi's website is more confusing than a maze. I must have spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what different types of cases he offers. What options and add-ons he offers on a case. What colors are available in a particular type of case. The pricing. What he currently has "in stock" or "ready" as he calls it, vs. what is made to order.

If you have experience ordering from Luigi, I'd love to have a FAQ type of thread discussing the ins and outs of understanding his website and his products.

Some specific questions:

- How sturdy is that tripod mount adapter option on cases?
- Does the hanging door on the cases get in the way of using the camera?
- Strap-wise, does the bulk of the strap that is attached to the right-side lug (when viewing Leica M from the rear) get on the way of the right hand holding the camera?
- Has anyone used the Luigi neck straps as a sling-style strap? And how did that work?

Thank you!

Godfrey

I bought a Luigi half-case for my M9 recently. After some debate with myself (and confusion), I wrote him and his daughter, Ginevra, responded with more complete information. Some bits weren't quite clear yet, so I asked some more details and she responded again with more info. This went through four cycles, narrowing down what I wanted, and then I placed my order. It was delivered 23 days later and I'm delighted with it. I wrote back to thank them for the excellent products and service, and Ginevra responded again, also answering another query I had.

I think that's the best way to do business with Leicatime. Gather what you can from the website, then ask pointed questions until you're satisfied. Build a relationship ... it's a small, family business with nice people. I'll plan to swing by and visit when next I take a holiday in Italy (maybe next year).

- The half case I bought is this one in green*:

- I had them make the back completely removable as I like it for protection when I'm walking but want it out of the way entirely when I'm shooting ... I don't want a flap hanging there open while I'm trying to work the controls. I also don't like the models with the larger grip ... the small elliptical bump is just right for my hands. It fits the M9 beautifully and feels great in the hand—and it will feel better and better as it gets worn.

- I opted not to go with their strap as I like the standard Leica strap for the M9 and I like that it is so easy to remove and replace on the camera body (when I'm using a tripod). I don't wear the camera around my neck very often, the rubber pad on the Leica strap does a good job of keeping it from falling off my shoulder when I carry just the camera.

- I take the camera out of the case when I use the tripod as I use a QR mount system plate. I would never trust any case-mounted tripod mount.

Hope That Helps™ ... :)

G

* green: I know this is somewhat capricious, but the reason I chose dark green is that way back when I was knee high to a grasshopper I remember being at the camera shop with my father where they had two Alpa 10D bodies, one in satin gold with a burgundy leather covering and the other in satin black with a deep malachite green ostrich skin covering. I have never forgotten how nice that black and green camera looked ... yeah, call me odd. ;-)

Double Negative

Not Available
I've been using his cases on the Ikon and Ms for a couple of years now - love 'em!

The hanging flap isn't an issue. Mine's usually closed, though unsnapped when shooting. I don't chimp too often, but if I need to I let it fall open. Would I prefer a removable one? Not sure, as it might get lost, you'd have to stuff it in a pocket, and if it's not closed then it's not doing its job, etc. If you let it hang open you can still use the camera.

The straps are divine and only get softer with use. I put the strap through my fingers when shooting - you don't even know it's there. It also wraps around your wrist nicely to work as a wrist strap (something I typically do for "street").

The shoulder "pad" is loose on the strap, but it doesn't "glide" like a proper sling strap. It's more for easy adjustment (correction if hanging askew) or when changing strap length (it then slides to the new center).

All in all, very happy with his stuff. Be patient with the man, he's busy as all hell.

Armanius

Thanks for the info Godfrey and DN!

I'll probably get a strap without the pad, because I like to wear it sling style, and I imagine that the pad would get on the way.

I currently have a black Zhou case, and it's very nice. But the edge of the case keeps leaving a black mark on my M9 just above the lugs. So I have to constantly polish the M9.

Have y'all experienced any bleeding of the dye, whether onto your camera or hands?

Double Negative

Not Available
Quite welcome!

Luigi's cases and straps do not bleed color! And I've had a set in the jungles of Belize where it was damp and hot - to blazing sunshine at the beach. Even after I applied leather conditioner for the first time in 1-2 years - it didn't leave any staining on the rag. Most impressive. And it was even softer after that, heh.

You can get a sense of the strap in the picture below. I put one finger below, one finger above the strap when I grip the camera.

iiiNelson

I have the real ostrich half case with built in grip (it was twice the price of the calf skin variant but I wanted to splurge for the M9-P) and it's as everyone says. Look on the site to get an idea of what you may want. Availability is something you have to contact them about. Many cases are made and ready to be shipped if it's the configuration, material, and color you desire. Anything else can be made. Ginevra has made the customer service experience to great products that much better. Her English is very good and she goes out of her way to get what you want.