The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Store - DC

Armanius

I do wonder if they have lenses "in stock" there other than camera bodies? I would hope so. Anyone live in D.C. (or nearby) that can go check it out?

monza

It certainly will be interesting to see how Leica handles this...I can see many dealers not being happy if their corporate owned store has inventory for which long-time dealers have been waiting for months...

Double Negative

Not Available
Leica clearly gives their own stores stock priority. That having been said, that doesn't mean you can walk into a Leica store and just buy anything you want.

monza

Leica is walking a fine line here. So if I've been on a waiting list at a dealer and then call the DC store and get it immediately how is that going to affect Leica dealer relations? ;)

Hosermage

They're probably looking at Apple and wanting to copy it. If I was Leica, the distribution via dealers model will only make sense if I'm not able to cover the geographic region myself. If the merchandize can be shipped directly from Leica's own distribution centers, and use the stores as a demo/educational purpose, then they can make all the profit.

Just like Apple which has kiosks in Targets and Walmart, they will still have Leica showcase areas in a dealer's store if that dealer is able to move enough products.

If anything, I think it'll improve efficiency for getting products into the hands of people who actually want it. Unlike the current model where we see a bunch of for-sale ads that says "Just got this from my dealer, but I don't need it anymore, hence it's for sale (for a quick buck).. blah blah blah."

monza

Well they haven't been able to cover a geographic region very well recently...the world. :)

I think it's a good idea -- if they can get a handle on production. I know if I were a shareholder I would prefer they fix that first before going retail, but that's just me...

Hosermage

That's certainly true... there's no point of having a flagship store if you're unable to keep items in stock. They'll just be setting themselves up to disappoint customers.

All the rumors/news are suggesting that they are increasing their production capacity, and perhaps part of the investment from Blackstone also stipulates that they upgrade their distribution model. Mailing everything out of Solms is doable, but not as efficient as setting up good distribution center in strategic places around the globe.

Dannynono

I'd heard a rumor about this store a while back. Will walk past the location tonight just to see whats there.

D&A

And let us know if they actually have REAL stuff in stock!
As opposed to items that look real from a distance but when you get up close, you realize they're all cardboard cutouts...LOL!

Do you think I should walk inside the store and ask to see that fabulous 30 something MP camera that everyone is taking about....the Nikon D800...um I mean Leica S2?

I was hoping to get down there sometime soon too. Would love to hear what you observe and think about the shop. Thanks!

Dave (D&&A)