The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Recommendations for Leica M tele lens

RAM

I know the M is not a wildlife camera, but I do enjoy birding and would like to maximize my reach. This would also be a travel lens to comliment my 50 and 28 cron. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Paratom

135/3.4 or 135/4.0 or 135/2.8 ;)
My choice was the 135/3.4 which sould be optically the best of the three but it is quite expensive compared to the other 2.

jonoslack

HI There
It does rather depend on your budget. If you're going for the 135, then the f3.4 apo is definitely the choice - otherwise the 90 slim elmarit is as sharp as a pin . . . and is easier to focus than the 135 (and a great deal cheaper too).

bradhusick

Having owned the 135 APO I ended up keeping the black 90 APO ASPH instead. Easier to focus, faster, better images. No exactly a lightweight, but wonderful glass.

Double Negative

Not Available
My favorites are the Elmarit-M 90mm f/2.8 and Tele-Elmar-M 135mm f/4 lenses. Same diameter (similar to Summilux, etc.) and filters (46mm) and are quite compact. IQ is ridiculously good from either and they're both still relative bargains in the Leica world.

The APO-Telyt-M is essentially as good as it gets, but is pricey. Same thing with the APO-Summicron-M, but it's also much larger and heavier since it's an f/2. Will you see the difference? Maybe. Most cases, probably not so much.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Indeed. Without resorting to additional means (read: Visoflex) 135mm is as long as it gets. On many Leica bodies you get 135mm framelines at least, though an external finder might be worthwhile (e.g. the SCHOOC).

I don't do wildlife photography, but I have a 135 f4 tele-elmar and have found it to be a great lens on my M9... you can't beat it for the price!

dude163

I'd recommend the elmarit 135/2.8. I use one on my M8 and really enjoy the results *when* I get it to work that is. It's a tad unwieldy and makes the camera weigh a lot.

But like I said when it gels I'm very happy with the results. Plus I think out of the choices. 2.8/3.4/4. It might be the least expensive

RAM

Thanks for all the responses - and of course for all the wonderfull pictures you guys have posted. Double Negative I enjoy your La Vida Lieca site and thanks for the reviews.

Pluses and minuses each way it seems - no clear winner in my mind yet, but the 90 seems to tick most of the boxes so far. It would be great to be able to handle both the 135 3.4 and 90 elmarit as I find the "feel" can often be the deciding factor, but that is unlikely to happen. I suspect this might come down to price/availability/condition.

sirimiri

The hardest thing about the 135mm lenses, is that infinity, 20' short of infinity, and 80' short of infinity are damned hard to separate accurately with the mechanical viewfinder and if you screw the pooch on the 135mm in that respect the images are fit to trash.

Again, not to put too fine a point on something you already acknowledge, but the M system isn't well-suited to "telephotography".

I'd borrow/rent a 135mm before you buy one. Do you own any of the magnifiers?

Taylor Sherman

If you're looking to get a feel for 135mm - the FL, if not the actual lens size/weight - the older (silver, non-"tele") Elmar 135/4 are pretty good. I picked one up for about $250.

They're a bit longer than the Tele-Elmars that followed them, but not very heavy, and optically they're still quite good.

FWIW I use mine on a Nex-7, not a rangefinder, so keep that in mind :)

Mark Steber

HI There
It does rather depend on your budget. If you're going for the 135, then the f3.4 apo is definitely the choice - otherwise the 90 slim elmarit is as sharp as a pin . . . and is easier to focus than the 135 (and a great deal cheaper too).
Jono

What is the "slim elmarit" you are referring to? The 39mm filter version or the 46mm version. Both are 2.8 so I am not sure which you mean.

Mark

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Unless you are willing to put some real effort into it....I would avoid the 135 lenses. It is hard to get accurate focus (as mentioned above) and its darn hard to calibrate your m9 and the 135 ..at all distances . To have any chance you will need the 1.4X magnifier .

The 90 /2 apo summicron is a great lens and actually easier to use because it has a longer throw (more turns to achieve infinity) ..this helps you get accurate focus . This lens is large by Leica M standards ..but that is the only draw back. The 90/2.8 Elmarit-M is an excellent lens ...small,easy to use and excellent image quality . My preference for travel is the 90 elmarit-M .

When I use the 135APO at distance I always try hard to shoot at F8 to avoid focus errors .