The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm Leica lens for the M8 resolved...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Well last week I was in serious paralysis analysis over which 35 'Cron to get for the M8 and use when I wanted something smaller than the monster Nokton 1.2.

Well I just closed on a super clean black IV 35mm Cron made in 1993 with box, leather case and every thing for less than I had expected to pay. It's also German and less than the Canadian I had been looking at.

So, I'm set with Leica glass for a while. I've got all older used and love it. I have CV to fill in the gaps and the only Leica lens I'm really thinking about is the 24mm ASPH but than can wait until next year. I'm going to use the CV's at 28 for a while because I like the Ultron for indoor work and the Skopar 28/3.5 is just so compact for carrying out doors.

My Leica Glass is now set at:

135/4.0 Tele-Elmar with built in hood.
90/2.0 E55 Summicron which I like the way it images OOF.
Noctilux
50mm Summicron III model. made in 1970 and lovely flat field of focus
35mm IV Summicron

I'll use CV at 75, 28 15 and 12.

P.S. Don't tell my wife about the Christmas present she got me. It's to be surprise. ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats John, you have assembled an excellent stable of glass!

Hacker

Well I just closed on a super clean black IV 35mm Cron made in 1993 with box, leather case and every thing for less than I had expected to pay. It's also German and less than the Canadian I had been looking at.
I can trade you my mint Canadian IV for your German one. Comes with original box and hood! I thought that there is no difference between the 2 actually.

johnastovall

I can trade you my mint Canadian IV for your German one. Comes with original box and hood! I thought that there is no difference between the 2 actually.
There isn't other than the premium some dealers charge for the German. :D

T

texasrancher

John, I think you made a great choice. I just picked up a Canadian 35mm 'cron IV in excellent shape myself and have found the rendering to be everything that Guy & Jack had described. Due to its small size and field of view, it is spending just about as much time mounted on my M8 as my trusty 28mm 'cron Asph. I've got to ask how you got to Dublin, Texas - I grew up 14 miles to your SW in Comanche - left in the '65 for UT, return for regular 10 year reunions. I have noted your collection of glass, including, I believe the CV 12mm. How is that to work with, and are you using a UV/IR filter? My widest is the WATE (just ordered the Milich adapter), but I could use something a little wider at times for home interior shots - accurate color without fringing is critical, though.

fordfanjpn

If I may ask a dumb question, the books I have say the fourth version of the 35 'cron came out in 1997. Does someone here have better information on the different versions, and the Canadian and German versions of that lens? Thanks.

Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
If I may ask a dumb question, the books I have say the fourth version of the 35 'cron came out in 1997. Does someone here have better information on the different versions, and the Canadian and German versions of that lens? Thanks.

Bill
The Ver IV was first released in 80. Leica is cryptic about their moving some lens production out of Canada and back to Solms, but IIRC that happened around 86, so basically the Canadian versions were the earlier ones. Optical formula is the same, but apparently it was fairly common for Leica to make un-specified changes to glass and/or coatings, and as long as the changes didn't alter the optical formula the lens' part number (version) didn't change. The hard-anodizing used on the black versions also improved in later years and seems to be more durable.

Here's an abbreviated date reference, scroll down to the actual M lens list: http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm

No specific date information, but if you can read between the lines, he actually gives a pretty accurate analysis of the performance differences between the 35 Ver IV, the 35 Cron Asph and 35 Lux Asph --- but be warned you have to read it carefully ;) http://www.imx.nl/photo/lenstest/summicron-m_1235_mm_asph_pl.html

Cheers,

fordfanjpn

The Ver IV was first released in 80. Leica is cryptic about their moving some lens production out of Canada and back to Solms, but IIRC that happened around 86, so basically the Canadian versions were the earlier ones. Optical formula is the same, but apparently it was fairly common for Leica to make un-specified changes to glass and/or coatings, and as long as the changes didn't alter the optical formula the lens' part number (version) didn't change. The hard-anodizing used on the black versions also improved in later years and seems to be more durable.

Here's an abbreviated date reference, scroll down to the actual M lens list: http://www.cameraquest.com/mlenses.htm
Thanks Jack, that helped a lot. It seems the (Japanese) books I have skip over the "Third version 1973-1979", refer to the "Fourth version 1980 to 1998" as the third version, and the ASPH as the fourth version. Very confusing, but I think I get it now. I guess I need some new books.

Bill

D

Digital Dude

Thank you Jack! The lens reference link you provided is the most easily explained, single source document I’ve read so far. Sure, I also read Leica’s Lens Secrets, but it was extremely dry, despite my hunger for anything I could find on lenses.
Regards,

johnastovall

John, I think you made a great choice. I just picked up a Canadian 35mm 'cron IV in excellent shape myself and have found the rendering to be everything that Guy & Jack had described. Due to its small size and field of view, it is spending just about as much time mounted on my M8 as my trusty 28mm 'cron Asph. I've got to ask how you got to Dublin, Texas - I grew up 14 miles to your SW in Comanche - left in the '65 for UT, return for regular 10 year reunions. I have noted your collection of glass, including, I believe the CV 12mm. How is that to work with, and are you using a UV/IR filter? My widest is the WATE (just ordered the Milich adapter), but I could use something a little wider at times for home interior shots - accurate color without fringing is critical, though.
I got to Dublin, Texas because I took a position with Tarleton State University and we want a historic home so we found one in Dublin from 1884. I like the CV12/5.6. I don't currently use a filter and since I'm not doing people. I'll be posting in the near future a number of interiors I did at the San Antonio missions.