The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Green tint with Fluorescent lighting and shutter speeds?

dude163

Hi all

I was at another kids party this weekend and I noticed that saying they had fluorescent lighting every few shots would have a greenish cast to it , is there a certain shutter speed or trick to eliminate this? I believe its due to the fact that Fluoro lights flicker and the camera is catching it mid pulse.

Or if there is no magic fix is Fluorescent lighting just something that doesnt work out well for portraiture and skin tones ?

cheers

Robert

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Most fluorescent lighting is pretty horrible, but there exist some bulbs with a very high color rendering index.
Even though the bulb phosphors persist in-between peak oscillations, the peaks can often be seen.
Shoot at 1/60 (or 50) or SLOWER to minimize the effect.
High persistence bulbs are good enough so that it does not matter that much.
As to your last point, color rendering and skin tones, etc all depend on the quality of the bulb used.
Usually I see the worst in places such as schools, train stations, and other places which purchase lamps with only price as the critical dimension.
-bob

dude163

Bob, I agree, it was at the bowling alley and I could detect the flickering with my eyes never mind the camera, so they obviously went for the cheapest lights

the ONE time I didnt drag my flash unit along with me :(