The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M9P shutter release

I recently bought a new M9P with four lenses. I was a longtime M film shooter, sold that gear off years ago, and when the full frame M9 was released I decided to get back into the M system.

The M9P shutter release is designed so one can press it partially down, to a point of resistance, and lock in an exposure reading, then recompose and shoot. My Canon cameras have a similar function in the shutter release and it works smoothly and perfectly. I find it really difficult to find that first point of resistance with the M9P shutter release. It seems I either press slightly too hard and accidentally trip the shutter prematurely, or do not press it hard enough to lock in the exposure reading. This new camera was in to Leica USA service for some other warranty work and I asked them to check the shutter release function. It does not appear the shutter release was adjusted at all. Do other M users have this problem, i.e. is this a flaw of the camera? I have been shooting professionally for 30+ years and mechanically inclined and well coordinated, but I cannot seem to master this function on the M9P. I bought one of the Thumbs-Up soft touch releases but that does not help with the problem. I look forward to your responses.

Mark Weidman

wattsy

Have you got it set to the 'soft' release mode? This is my preferred setting but it makes the camera impossible to use in the way you describe.

250swb

The shutter release can be notchy until it has worn in after a few hundred shots. Mine was on my M9, it is just the plating on the release button that needs to bed in and polish up.

Steve

Thanks for the input. I am aware of the options in setting the release to the soft and/or quiet functions. I do not have the release set to either of those. I have a couple thousand frames on the camera body and quite honestly it does not seem any better than when brand new on frame number one. I find this a distinct weakness in the design of the release, and am disappointed in Leica. I have resorted to using the Manual option for setting exposures, in certain situations, which is another way of taking a meter reading, recomposing, and then shooting with the original meter reading settings.

Mark Weidman

SYGTAFOTO

I've never had any issues with pressing the shutter halfway to lock in exposure. I remember having to get used to the feel but after a dozen or so frames, I had gotten used to the amount pressure I need to apply.
I sometimes use the circular rim just outside of the shutter to rest part of my index finger and use it as a leverage to help with controlling the pressure.