The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8 vs M9 Sensor comparison

Brian S

I have no reservations using ISO 2500 on the M9. Lightroom 3 has a much improved noise processor for raw images on both the M9 and M8.

M9, ISO 2500, 50/1.1 Nokton:

On my M8, a late production camera, I am comfortable with ISO 1250.

V

Vivek

I think you mean with the M9. The M8 is more sensitive to IR.

With the M9 you can shoot with large aperture lenses in IR during the day, and with a tripod if slower than F/2.0. I do this regularly.
eg.

Subtle, but the glasses are black framed in visible light.
Colour is below.

Daniel, I meant the M8. It is pseudo near IR. Even if you expose it for hours (with suitable filters, of course), anything over 700nm is unlikely to register and if any red is there through the filter used, that gets registered.
However, aside from these numbers and the nitpicks over the spectral regions :))), the key is that the M8 allows for some creative expressions. That is what I was suggesting to Robert- to expand the use of his M8 with what it can already offer.

The lovely example you posted are the norm.

Brian S

The M8 has a thin IR absorbing filter over it's Silicon CCD sensor, but quite a bit of Near IR leaks through, compared with other cameras. The sensor itself is sensitive out to 1100nm. A quick test taking a picture of a Wii game LED bar with and without an IR cut filter over the lens gives a quick indication of how sensitive that the M8 is to near IR. It also shows how effective the IR CUT (Hot Mirror) filter over the lens is in eliminating the IR contamination. The LED's used in the Wii controller are ~900nm.

Last edited:

Brian S

Leica M8 WITH Leica UV/IR filter over lens, C-Sonnar 50/1.5 wide-open, 1/4th second exposure.

Leica M8 WITHOUT the UV/IR filter over lens, C-Sonnar 50/1.5 wide-open, 1/8th second.

I've used a Wratten 88A filter with the M8, just to see what happens. Reasonable (near) IR results. But I have two full-spectrum cameras, the most used being a modified Olympus EP2.

Just to add: The M9 without the IR Cut filter over the lens has some IR sensitivity, but much lower than the M8 used without the cut filter. The M9 shows more IR leakage than the M8 used with the IR cut filter over the lens.

Last edited:

Brian S

For the comparison- Leica M9, 5cm f1.5 Sonnar, no Hot Mirror Filter. 1/4 second wide-open.

SO: Some IR leakage, much less than the M8 w/o filter. After seeing this, I don't mind leaving the Hot Mirror filters on the fast lenses for the M9.