The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rumor has it...

Vlad

...the new 50 Cron will be a super-duper-special lens, rare and insanely expensive. Think 35 AA ASPHERICAL, but the new standard in 50mm. Excited to see on the 10th.

Double Negative

Not Available
The ASPH version will be better than the previous pre-ASPH no doubt - but... Don't expect miracles. You'll see improvement mostly in the corners/edges. The size/weight of the lens might change a bit though due to the aspherical element(s). No idea if they'll add FLE but I doubt it.

ashwinrao1

LOL. Nice, Al. The 'cron line has always been the "utilitarian" line of the M system, until the Summarit line came along. I suspect that the 'cron will peform fine, but won't be a miracle...THe Lux is already that...

retow

How much does the excellent ZM Planar 50 cost again? A Summicron 50 costing substantially more than what I payed a few years ago for a pristine Summilux asph 50, I don't know.

Brian S

Originally, the Summicron line was the top performer in the M line-up (going back to 1954) and the Summilux and Summarit (5cm f1.5) were to appease the need for speed. Until the Aspheric Summilux came out, the Summicron had the edge on performance.

I'll be interested to see what comes of the Summicron.

Last edited:

bradhusick

One thing they could do is fix that annoying pull out shade and allow it to lock in place like the shade on the 50 lux asph.

monza

I don't see the point to a 50 cron ASPH, photographically speaking.

From Leica's standpoint, it's good. Serious Leicaphiles will all pick one up, even though they don't need it. :)

Double Negative

Not Available
^ I'd have to agree with that.

The current Summicron is just that good already. Any improvement will really just suit the pixel peepers (and Leica shareholders). Such is progress though. Anyone that doesn't yet have a Summicron will just default to the "new and improved" when its time to buy...

monza

Now if they were to replace it at the same price as the current cron, I'd revise my comment...

Paratom

I could imagine that the rumour might become true.
But I also dont understand yet in which regards this lens should be (so much?) better than the current Summicron or the Summilux.
But maybe it is....lets wait and see until we know facts.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Every year at Photokina Peter Karbe the head of the lens design department at Leica gets asked about whats next . All the older designs are periodically evaluated to determine if they can be improved ...e.g. new glass etc.

Leica has long had the ability to improve the 50 summicron but the thinking has been that the additional cost would be too much . My understanding is that a new 50 sum micron would be about bragging rights ..the best performing 50mm available . Not just one of several great leica lenses but the very best .

As customers we are conditioning Leica to produce the very best and just charge whats required .

Double Negative

Not Available
Exactly, Roger. The latest Noctilux is along those lines too... "Bragging rights." Not just the fastest lens at f/1 - but this one goes to f/0.05... And does so with aplomb.

"Leica is supposed to be the best" also supports their pricing model. ;)

Seascape

This ain't Apple, buddy. Move along... :D
Well, maybe Leica should give the the Apple concept a good look.

"Improved performance at the same price point as the previous model"

While Leica may have trouble relating to the concept, it is the mantra of the most successful manufacturer in the world, and a "BRAND" with an exceptional cache :cool: