Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: So? 5/10? no announcements?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: So? 5/10? no announcements?

Not only that, but just incremental engineering expense to launch a 'new' product. The bulk of R&D, tooling and other costs have long since been spent, and this 'new' product will be acquired by many of the existing M9 customer base. Sell a second essentially identical camera to existing customers who otherwise probably would only buy one M9...brilliant.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly right, Robert! The same of everything!

Where is Roger who prophesied this very thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is it me or, considering all the hoopla and build-up (special invitations from Solms to attend a special event in Berlin. Oooooo May 10--M10--get it? could be a big announcement) is the X2 about the lamest improvement in a camera I've ever seen. I mean it's not horrible I'm a subscriber to Sean Reid's website and he posted a preliminary review of a pre-production model he had access to--the images were just so-so. Nothing eye popping like the Fuji X Pro 1 had reviewers crowing. Just a well made camera that just seems rather so-so. Nothing that rocks me as I had hoped or was anticipating. Again, the X2 isn't not bad mind you but from all the build-up I was expecting something that would really be something else. Like the M9 was when it finally emerged from a company that said it could never be done.

So what have we got for your (thank God they didn't add another grand for this thing as some rumor blogs had hinted) $1995? Slightly better-not outstanding mind you--AF that's still not even close to what's possible in a CDAF camera. A larger sensor that's on a par with everyone else's 16.2 MP sensor (Nikon, Fuji, Sony etc.). An EVF that's also on a par with everyone else's (read Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus) BASIC EVF--again not bad but no winner (although Sean read did note that Leitz lowered the contrast in the EVF so high contrast scenes won't be so blown out like others EVF's apparently do). STILL no AF point in an optional OVF. And no way to know when using it when the camera has locked (let alone on what!). Also, is it me or does the EVF seem rather disproportionate for the body. Like some big honking tower. (Maybe in person it won't be so bad but from the photos alone it looks a little on the ugly side.)

No doubt there will be some who will flock to get this new iteration of the X1. And they will be happy within its limitations. I think man waiting on a fence in indecision about whether to get a Leica X2 with all its flaws or a the X-Pro 1 with all its flaws will find their decision is quite simple now. And who knows? Maybe the the NEX 5N tricked out with its EVF will win some more adherents.

As you probably can tell I was so hoping the revised X2 would have been so much more. Improved image, vastly improved AF, and a finder solution that would be a true Leica tour-de-force catching all of us off guard and putting anything else to shame. But Leica seems to have played it safe with what appears to be a very so-so offering for the money. I just hope it doesn't cost them too much in future solvency. Despite what I may have written here, I really like the them.
    Life is an infinite series of moments called..."now".
    My job is to capture them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you, Peter. I'll probably get flogged for this, but, if you were to lay the X2 and a NEX-7+ Sigma 30/2.8 on a table, and told me to choose either for free, I'd likely choose the NEX. Heck, I might even choose the NEX-5N+EVF over it.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Shoot, even a 3 or 5 with the Sigma lens...

The X2 is a non-starter. As Roger stated: "The X2 is futile ...an evolution when the competition is sprinting?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    Not only that, but just incremental engineering expense to launch a 'new' product. The bulk of R&D, tooling and other costs have long since been spent, and this 'new' product will be acquired by many of the existing M9 customer base. Sell a second essentially identical camera to existing customers who otherwise probably would only buy one M9...brilliant.

Well.......not exactly identical, they left out the Bayer filter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, of course. Not to mention the 'retro' black chrome finish...probably cheaper to produce than black paint.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This announcement was great news for me. Nothing to lust over.
    terry
    www.terrybanet.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I saved $15,200.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Vivek, thank you for that explanation. Indeed very clever.

Quote Originally Posted by dude163 View Post
    Cant I just save 7700 bucks and buy Silver efex pro 2 for my M8 though?

or buy a M9 and shoot in both? I dont understand the allure of a B+W sensor.
    It really comes down to what you prefer in terms of look. Some swear by film. Others prefer the convenience and advantages of modern digital sensors.

And your ability to pay for the privilege of owning beautiful crafted tools.

I would have to wait for reviews of the newly announced M9M and it results.
    It might be an exceedingly marvelous tool, for those that can afford it and use it to its potential.

For me results from a film Leica and/or Nikon plus Efke 25/50, processed, scanned, and printed on appropriate paper are a joy to see and hang on the wall.

The C41 b&W films are what I usually carry when I travel with film. Properly
    processed and scanned; they are beautiful. And relatively cheap.

M8 is a wonderful B&W tool. And so is Nik software.

Leica is not in business to cater to the mass market. That has never been their business model. Whether the cost of the M9M is justified or not is for the buyer to decide. For some it shall be. For me, I have other alternatives. But I shall be glancing at the M9M with my charge card ( not my cc ) at the ready.
    koffee & kamera

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    I hear you, Peter. I'll probably get flogged for this, but, if you were to lay the X2 and a NEX-7+ Sigma 30/2.8 on a table, and told me to choose either for free, I'd likely choose the NEX. Heck, I might even choose the NEX-5N+EVF over it.
    Would I get change if I chose the X2 and sold it for list and still bought the Nex7 and Sigma 30/2.8 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets hope the next time Leica make such a gargantuan hoopla about next to nothin they have somthin!!!!!!! Wow what turns on some people is that they were invited. What would have turned me on is that they was something to see when I got there.

We can only hope for better luck in the fall w/ the S3 and P.S. what's the deal with the screen resolution is that a Leica punishment.