The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One V4 is out, Don't bother

S

Shootist

Phase one just released the shipping version of C1 V4.
I tried the beta's but removed them almost as fast as they installed.
The big problem I have with this new version is it drops cache file in each and every folder you open with images in it. It creates one folder with 2 subfolder under it and store the cache file for that folder in one of the subfolders.
I could not find any option to stop this action and move ALL cache files to another drive. That is unacceptable for me as the one image folder I opened in the program had 77 image file in it and in the cache folder C1 made 77 .COP files totalling 135MB.
That means that when I copy my images to a external drive, which I do with a synchronizing program, I would need to copy all those cache file. That would be GB's of extra files.

Last edited:

LCT

Also there is no 'save' or 'save as' option if i'm not mistaken so how do you manage to retrieve your working file?

S

Shootist

Also there is no 'save' or 'save as' option if i'm not mistaken so how do you manage to retrieve your working file?
Well with all the C1 programs I have used, that would be just the 3.x.x versions that came with the M8 and updates to them, you need to Process/develope the files and the program saves them as either TIFF's or JPG's, your choice.
That was something else I didn't like about C1. By default it wants to place ALL these processed files into one directory/folder which on a Win XP PC the default in My Pictures folder under My Documents in a folder called developes.
I really don't think a Pro Photographer would even consider using the My Pictures folder for anything.
At least in C1 V3 you could change that to store the processed/developed images in a subfolder, developes, that C1 creates under the image folder you are working in.
Never got that far with either of the 2 beta's or the shipping version of V4.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Capture One V4 is out

Actually, I have always used the option to set the output folder to be a "develops" folder within the overall directory that holds all my raw files (until they go to the archive). It works the same in V4 as in v3.x. That setting is sticky and keeps working as i want it.

I'm more concerned about the decision (it's not a bug, it's an Adobe sidecar file on steroids affectation) to leave the preview cache on disk in the same directory as the source raw files. It can be found and erased when you are done, but what a nuisance. Saving the control settings (one of the two files that V4 and RawShooter before it leave in each directory) makes sense when I archive, but saving the previews is the space-burner, and I would rather not do that.

And profiles seem to have changed. Still the new controls are nice, and most of the 3.x Pro features are in V4, which is an LE product. I wonder what will be in the 4Pro product to justify the extra expense?

scott

edit: Sandy McGuffog reports that V4 doesn't do the greatest job of reading in files that Cornerfix has fixed. He's preparing a hack to fix this, and it has been reported to PhaseOne. It's a case of their not having implemented the full DNG standard, just done their best to read the files that are seen to be produced by the existing camera.

irakly

same here... lightroom just murders both c1 and aperture. except of course that little and hopefully temporary thing with awful magenta cast on prints in 10.5 leopard :)

Phase one just released the shipping version of C1 V4.
I tried the beta's but removed them almost as fast as they installed.
The big problem I have with this new version is it drops cache file in each and every folder you open with images in it. It creates one folder with 2 subfolder under it and store the cache file for that folder in one of the subfolders.
I could not find any option to stop this action and move ALL cache files to another drive. That is unacceptable for me as the one image folder I opened in the program had 77 image file in it and in the cache folder C1 made 77 .COP files totalling 135MB.
That means that when I copy my images to a external drive, which I do with a synchronizing program, I would need to copy all those cache file. That would be GB's of extra files.

sandymc

Re: Capture One V4 is out

Sandy McGuffog reports that V4 doesn't do the greatest job of reading in files that Cornerfix has fixed. He's preparing a hack to fix this, and it has been reported to PhaseOne.
CornerFix 0.9.1.9 now works with Capture One V4 (so far anyway). Just enable the "Capture One V4" compatibility setting, disable "Level Compression" in Preferences or Options. On the Mac, also enable Thumbnails.....

Sandy