The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SLR Magic HyperPrime LM 50mm T0.95 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

seakayaker

After reading through this thread, I can honestly state I would not take the chance of ever owning a lens from SLR Magic.

Engineering is flawed and customer service sounds to be nonexistent.

Best wishes to all who have made the purchase and do hope you make it out whole at the end of the journey.

Double Negative

Not Available
I'm going to go with Stephen on all this.

As for the lens, I just sent the sample back to Andrew; it's a non-starter. Out of adjustment, and a slight mechanical issue (not affecting performance in any way however). We might give it another go with a new lens.

The optical performance is clearly quite good. The mechanics... Not so much. As an RF lens this one might just be chasing unicorns. With live view - a totally different animal. Either shoot an EVIL or the M10 with it or suck it up and get the Noctilux. Perhaps now we can appreciate why it costs a lot more (at least somewhat).

StephenPatterson

Yes DN, my recommendation to anyone considering the Hyperprime today would have to be to instead purchase a used f/1.0 Noctilux or Voigtlander f/1.1 (or if money is no object the f/0.95 Noctilux). The Hyperprime is just too expensive with too many issues.

Even without the mechanical issues there really is no reason to spend $5000 for an SLR Magic Hyperprime when you can get a 50 Summilux ASPH, which is one of Leica's absolutely best lenses, for $4000.

ashwinrao1

The 50 lux asph is a far superior lens, overall, with a dependable brand name and track record. I agree that while I haven't had any issues with my copy of the hyperprime, there's no guarantee there, and the Lux asph is truly a superior lens on so many levels that money well spent would be spent on the lux over the hyperprime, should that be the choice.

I have a feeling that the SLR Magic experiment with ultrafast lens production may be difficult, moving forward, given the issues of these samples. I will be keeping mine, in all likelihood, as it'll be a unique piece of history and probably a challenge to sell in the short term...and the glass and rendering are quite nice...

iiiNelson

Yes DN, my recommendation to anyone considering the Hyperprime today would have to be to instead purchase a used f/1.0 Noctilux or Voigtlander f/1.1 (or if money is no object the f/0.95 Noctilux). The Hyperprime is just too expensive with too many issues.

Even without the mechanical issues there really is no reason to spend $5000 for an SLR Magic Hyperprime when you can get a 50 Summilux ASPH, which is one of Leica's absolutely best lenses, for $4000.
This was kind of my point when the Hyperprime was first announced. Speed is great but if I'm going to spend $3000+ on a lens it's going to be on a genuine Leica (or Zeiss.) Pricing it above the 50 Summilux was crazy IMO. Yes it's fast and the original samples produced outstanding images. They were carefully handmade and not mass produced though from what I read. I'd risk Voigtlander money on this kind of risk ($1-2,500) but definitely not Leica money.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator Warning

Please folks, lets keep it non-personal.
Forum rules dictate conduct that one might find at a cordial dinner party.
I will be deleting posts that violate this rule.
As for external content links, although we do not permit promotion of one's own site other than by a signature, we do permit links to third party sites. Content of those sites is the responsibility of the site owners, and should you have an issue with what is published, please take it up with them.
The Internet is a wild and woolly place and even if we were to delete links, the content itself is still available to all and subject to location by search engines.

If it keeps up infractions or bans will be dispensed without further warning.
thank you
-bob

Last edited:

3D-Kraft.com

To keep it non-personal:

Please follow the update regarding this issue written at the beginning of Steve Huffs rolling review: The SLR Magic Hyperprime 50 LM T0.95 Leica Mount Lens “Rolling Review” | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

As you see in the comments (especially in the "late 60s") there are several users of that lens that have a different opinion as well.

If someone reports his own opinion and his purely own (subjective) experience, in order to help a manufacturer improve a prototype that may be fine and helpful for all (but it is disputable if this must happen publically when the other party has no chance to react publically with their version of that story). But it is not OK to spread testimony about things other users of this lens allegedly had said although they never stated this by themselves.

I am sure, when more and more users of this lens start showing their results, the time will prove, who is right. I can not await putting that magic piece of glass in front of my "M".

Status
Not open for further replies.