Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: X2 any thoughts??

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: X2 any thoughts??

I would buy a camera based on how it does look like but rather how the user interface works for me.
    I own both the x1 and the x100 and while I really like both I would say the x100 feels more like a classic Leica than the x1 IMO.
    On the other side I would give the edge in IQ to the x1, and it is much smaller.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my first post in this wonderful forum where I see more people on the photographer's side than on the gearhead side of the spectrum than in most of the other photography forums I know. I've seen the most stunning images here, thanks to all contributors!

Back to the subject matter: Owning an M8, after the announcement of the X2 beginning of May I was completely fascinated. I was looking for something focussing faster than I can do with the M8 since my main fotographic object, my half year old daughter, usually has no the patience to keep still until I focussed. Further, I am on business travel quite a bit and wanted to have a camera compact enough that I can take it with me everywhere, but still has good IQ and low light performance. So I really thought the X2 is MY camera.

Although I really love the build quality of Leica, after extensive research I decided to go with an X100. Main reason - beside factor 2 in CAPEX - was that the X100 has an OVF and an F2.0 lens. If the unexpected happens and Leica really issues an appealing new system between X and M soon, I'll be able to trade in the X100 with less loss than the X2.

I did not regret my decision so far. The X100 makes wonderful pictures, is useable until ISO 3200 and most of her optical shortcomings (except the lens flare) over the X2 lens can be easily corrected during image processing. The additional F-stop gives more freedom in photographic composition. Further, it has a couple of useful features like the panoramic mode and the integrated ND filter just to mention two. Haven't tried video yet.

There are only minor things I dislike on the X100, mainly the near focussing limit without activated macro and that I missed a shot here and there because it took too long to wake up the camera. It has too many options and is therefore not a no-nonsense camera. Also, it just does not feel as decent as a Leica.

Long story short: (X100 - nonsense + better haptics and design) is what the X2 should have been for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Anyone have Ricoh GXR experience with M mount and Leica M lenses?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Anyone have Ricoh GXR experience with M mount and Leica M lenses?
    Quite a lot: Works great. Very configurable and excellent image quality. Best camera other than a Leica M8/M9 for these lenses!

See:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/other-...ur-images.html

Post Thanks / Like

Hello everybody!

I have an X2, Its a great little camera with lovely image quality. The EVF is cumbersome but a necessity for me, I have a Voigtlander 35mm OVF which looks cool, but as I am not too hot with Zone focusing feels quite redundant.

I recently bought an M8 which is making me very happy indeed, I'd love to keep the X2, but i don't think the wallet can stretch that far. Both great cameras, Both aimed at different needs.

Good luck with the decision process, if you ever think of buying one second hand then let me know.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rich_ View Post
    Hello everybody!

I have an X2, Its a great little camera with lovely image quality. The EVF is cumbersome but a necessity for me, I have a Voigtlander 35mm OVF which looks cool, but as I am not too hot with Zone focusing feels quite redundant.

I recently bought an M8 which is making me very happy indeed, I'd love to keep the X2, but i don't think the wallet can stretch that far. Both great cameras, Both aimed at different needs.

Good luck with the decision process, if you ever think of buying one second hand then let me know.

Rich
    Hey! Just saw your pics on your link...really nice! I was in HK last week and took a bunch of pics with my X2 as well...on my flickr account if you like to take a look. Too bad u have to sell it as its a great camera...but the M8 is even better..
    for different reasons.

Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by s38 View Post
    I wouldn't buy a BMW M5 if it had a Toyota motor in it...X100 is made to look like Leica M9...btw, the X1-2 looks like Barnack's Leica:

Oscar Barnack: One Glorious Badass | Artists with Swagger (More Badassery)
    The X100 looks nothing like a Leica M9....sorry.

It looks like and performs like a Fuji X100.

Why anyone thinks the X100 is the world's perfect camera is their own opinion (not mine) and that is okay, but aesthetically IMO, it is an X100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, what does everyone think about the X2 a la carte program? I like it and have already picked out mine, wishing only that it had a proper Leica engraving like the M3.

Post Thanks / Like

The X2 has better IQ than the X100 period. If the X200 can improve beyond inheriting the X Pro 1 or XE1 sensor then, Fuji will really earn my respect, unlike the the new Leica M-E announcement to inherit the old M9 sensor!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Lessee, some 1500 or so exposures with the X2 later here's how I rank it:

plusses
    - image quality is excellent, everything it ought to be
    - controls are great: simple, effective, easy to learn and remember
    - AF speed is quite good, accuracy is right on the money
    - auto exposure system produces very good exposure settings
    - the sensor produces clean, usable results right up to the top of the range, ISO 1600-3200 are very useful
    - size and weight are right on the money
    - works great with both optical and electronic viewfinders, but using the LCD alone is actually very practical too
    - the A&A half case and Street Strap are perfect for it
    - battery life is running a healthy 400 or so exposures per charge, even with a lot of flash use

minuses
    - manual focusing and manual focus assist are usable but a little crude, lacks precision
    - shutter is almost too quiet and soft touch
    - range limits on Aperture priority auto exposure are occasionally annoying
    - overall shutter release responsiveness is good but can be a little laggy at times

Overall, I'm very pleased with it. It is an excellent camera, small and light, and works well as both a 'carry all the time' snapshot camera and also for serious picture taking. It certainly has its limitations, but they are not at odds with my expectations.

My X2 kit includes :
    - Camera
    - Voigtländer 35mm Optical Viewfinder
    - Olympus V-2 EVF (100% compatible)
    - Street Strap
    - A&A half case
    - HP 32G SDHC card
    - battery (spare on the way)

I haven't used an external flash with it yet, but I could have used one (and an RF trigger) last weekend.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely. I think I'd like one. Is it expensive?

Edit: Checked the price. Yes, it's expensive. Still nice though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Friendly suggestion: Purchase stock black one, visit nearest hobby store selling Humbrol enamel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

Where did you check the price and how much is the Paul Smith edition? For that matter, how much is an a la carte X2?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Friendly suggestion: Purchase stock black one, visit nearest hobby store selling Humbrol enamel.
    The "how to" is here: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/leica-...0-pink-m9.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Curiously, I have the above image of the Paul Smith X2 on my desktop and have developed a desire to own one of these. Yikes! Good thing I am not in a financial position to do so.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Curiously, I have the above image of the Paul Smith X2 on my desktop and have developed a desire to own one of these. Yikes! Good thing I am not in a financial position to do so.
    :-)

It grows on me, but I still prefer basic black.

That said, if you have the quid for the style, it's still an X2, which is to say an excellent camera. So if you buy one and enjoy the premium for the cool paint, you also have a fine working tool for photography to use. Nothing bad in that.

:-)

Last night I became curious as to just how sensitive the X2 sensor really is. So I made a test set of exposures at ISO 12500 to ISO 800. By the gods and little fishes, it's ISO 12500 output ... straight out of the camera JPEGs ... is damn good! The little bugger sees in the dark. Obviously, lower ISO settings are smoother and more detailed, but with this kind of sensitivity the f/2.8 lens is simply not an issue.