The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X2 any thoughts??

jonoslack

Wel, I think it's lovely.
all the simplicity of the X1 . . . but it's fast and agile - excellent AF, splendid image quality and that lovely lens. I wish it focused closer, but hey. The dials are less easy to turn by mistake - it's just like the X1 . . . .but with all the problems of the X1 sorted out.

I'm planning to write something down . . but it's timetimetime!
The black one is definitely stealth, and the silver one is very elegant.
all the best

Double Negative

Not Available
Honestly, I never thought of the X1 either. ;)

It's a sweet camera, sure. But it's quite pricey for what it is. I also figure if I'm going to carry an Xn, I might as well grab my Mn and toss on a Color Skopar lens.

Godfrey

would you pick the EVF or OVF with the X2?
Both. There are times when the EVF is very useful, but with this type of camera I'd use the OVF most of the time..

I'll use my Voigtländer 35 OVF and the Olympus VF-2. Both of those together are less costly than th Leica EVF.

Godfrey

thanks ^
why would you use the OVF most of the time with this type of camera?
If the metering and focusing system do a good job (like they do with the Ricoh GXR when using the A12 28 and 50 mm camera units), a clear, uncluttered optical viewfinder presents the least intrusive way to frame and shoot. I only use the EVF on the Ricoh with those camera units when I need more precise focus and framing control for specific shooting situations, the rest of the time I fit an optical viewfinder matched to the focal length.

The same will be true of the X2.

Moonshine

If the metering and focusing system do a good job (like they do with the Ricoh GXR when using the A12 28 and 50 mm camera units), a clear, uncluttered optical viewfinder presents the least intrusive way to frame and shoot. I only use the EVF on the Ricoh with those camera units when I need more precise focus and framing control for specific shooting situations, the rest of the time I fit an optical viewfinder matched to the focal length.

The same will be true of the X2.
So for travels and photographing people on the streets etc the OVF would be your choice? But how does one know what is in focus with the OVF?

Godfrey

So for travels and photographing people on the streets etc the OVF would be your choice? But how does one know what is in focus with the OVF?
Remember this part of my previous comment: "If the metering and focusing system do a good job..." With the GXR, I set the focusing system to SpotAF with the sensitive spot in the center of the field of view. I learn what that means with relation to the viewfinder. From that point on, I put the hot spot on the subject, half-press to let the camera focus, then reframe and make the exposure. The same routine will work with the X2.

Of course, there are limits to accuracy with this—it's easier to get good results with the 28mm camera unit than with the 50mm camera unit, for instance, when shooting with the GXR. So when I'm in doubt, I check my focus with the review after the shot, and reshoot if it was off. When I can. And when focusing is critical or I really have to get the shots on the first try, I'd either use the LCD or take the OVF off and fit the EVF.

People and street shooting are rarely that critical. You stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 with an APS-C camera and a 35mm lens for plenty of DoF and don't worry about it too much. Expression and timing are far more important than critical focus in most situations.

Shashin

The image quality reminds me of my E-P1 and the examples I have seen from the X-Pro1, X100, GRX, D800, M9, M8, Nex 7, Nex 5, and a whole host of other great cameras. I think the X2 will be another great camera too.

Shashin

is there a thumbs up for the X2?
If the camera blows your hair back, go for it. It looks like a nice little camera. The form factor is so personal, but it is that that usually separates what I use with what I don't. Are there cheaper alternative tat will do the same thing, yes, are there more flexible systems, yes, but that may not really do it for you. Life is short and photography can at least be fun.

Just don't let those D800 shooters give you $h1t about your tiny camera...