Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 66

Thread: X2 any thoughts??

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    X2 any thoughts??

    What does everyone here think about the new Leica X2? Also does it look better in black or silver?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    The NEX-F3 (will be announced thursday) which has the same sensor and is a lot cheaper and allows change of lenses. That is the camera to look for. It would also be offered in many colors.

    The X2, I have zero interest and I wish Leica success with it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Wow that does sound good

  4. #4
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    I have the silver X1 that I really like. Among all the APC sensor sub-compact that I have been using so far (X1, GXR, and NEX-5N), I prefer the images produced by X1. If Leica improve the AF speed on X2, I will get one for sure.

  5. #5
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    495
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    used leica m8s are going for less than a new x2.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Thank you Ocean, that was a pretty informative review. Is the black x2 with the leatherette and not the chrome/silver?

  8. #8
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    411
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    My silver X1 doesn't have the leatherette cover. I would like to have the leatherette cover on the silver body.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Do you know if the silver x2 has leatherette? if not thats a shame

  10. #10
    Member akiralx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, VIC
    Posts
    136
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by ken_vs_ryu View Post
    used leica m8s are going for less than a new x2.

    Not really, used M8s are around $2.5K I think? Plus the lens cost....

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    419
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    ^^^

    used M8s can definitely be had under $2k. i've seen a number of them go on fred miranda and ebay around $1700-1800.

    the lens cost...well...yeah. there's always zeiss for a kit around $2500 total.
    --David

  12. #12
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    ashwinrao1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA - USA
    Posts
    3,276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    meh...not interested. Leica could have done better...
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

  13. #13
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    meh...not interested. Leica could have done better...
    Not that I am too interested, but actually Leica always could have done better - also WRT M9, S System etc.

    So actually the X2 is pretty intriguing for me, because it is a pretty compact camera delivering Leica like IQ. Other than this IQ I think any Olympus m43 camera (EP3 or OMD) is lightyears better and much cheaper.

    Still the X2 is kind of attractive for me (gear head)

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    804
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Still, there is no jacket pocket size alternative delivering comparable IQ. If this matters, the X1/X2 wins.

  15. #15
    Senior Member dave.gt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, USA
    Posts
    475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    What does everyone here think about the new Leica X2? Also does it look better in black or silver?

    Thanks
    Hey, Moonshine...your first post and my first post here!

    The X2...looks super for me. At the moment, I am working on getting a pair of used X1's for an upcoming documentary. While I had fallen into the trap set by so many about expecting interchangeable lenses, etc., I am really quite happy with the specs of the X2. It will be awhile before I actually purchase an X2, probably next year after the usual firmware updates.

    I will be thinking more along the line of black as I prefer two cameras set up for shooting without menu changes/film changes. So, for color images, I prefer to use the silver/grey bodies and for black and white images, I use the black bodies.

    Limitations? Sure. But then, every camera has limitations and it is up to me to make the images I want while enjoying the gear. I am happy.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Smile Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-
    my sentiments exactly!

    I just got out of the M system because my weak eyes couldn't focus the rangefinder well which is why i'm looking into the X2...it seems to be a good all round camera with great IQ.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Hey, Moonshine...your first post and my first post here!

    The X2...looks super for me. At the moment, I am working on getting a pair of used X1's for an upcoming documentary. While I had fallen into the trap set by so many about expecting interchangeable lenses, etc., I am really quite happy with the specs of the X2. It will be awhile before I actually purchase an X2, probably next year after the usual firmware updates.
    you could still update the firmware as you go along
    if all my M stuff sells I'll get one soon!
    Good luck on your documentary!

  19. #19
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    my sentiments exactly!

    I just got out of the M system because my weak eyes couldn't focus the rangefinder well which is why i'm looking into the X2...it seems to be a good all round camera with great IQ.
    I have no problem focusing the M. I don't know why the X1 and X2 raise so much antipathy.

    I spend most of my time shooting with either M9 or GXR-M using a single lens anyway. A black X2 appeals to me a lot: the controls and size, the focal length too, are just right. I'll likely buy one next year.

  20. #20
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I have no problem focusing the M. I don't know why the X1 and X2 raise so much antipathy.

    I spend most of my time shooting with either M9 or GXR-M using a single lens anyway. A black X2 appeals to me a lot: the controls and size, the focal length too, are just right. I'll likely buy one next year.
    +1 on that!

    Peter

  21. #21
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Wel, I think it's lovely.
    all the simplicity of the X1 . . . but it's fast and agile - excellent AF, splendid image quality and that lovely lens. I wish it focused closer, but hey. The dials are less easy to turn by mistake - it's just like the X1 . . . .but with all the problems of the X1 sorted out.

    I'm planning to write something down . . but it's timetimetime!
    The black one is definitely stealth, and the silver one is very elegant.
    all the best

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  22. #22
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Honestly, I never thought of the X1 either.

    It's a sweet camera, sure. But it's quite pricey for what it is. I also figure if I'm going to carry an Xn, I might as well grab my Mn and toss on a Color Skopar lens.

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    @ Double Negative: i wish you would review an X2 on la vida leica!

  24. #24
    Not Available
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,864
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    @ Double Negative: i wish you would review an X2 on la vida leica!
    Why not? Send me one!

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    i don't have one yet! might take a few months

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    would you pick the EVF or OVF with the X2?

  27. #27
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    would you pick the EVF or OVF with the X2?
    Both. There are times when the EVF is very useful, but with this type of camera I'd use the OVF most of the time..

    I'll use my Voigtländer 35 OVF and the Olympus VF-2. Both of those together are less costly than th Leica EVF.

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    thanks ^
    why would you use the OVF most of the time with this type of camera?
    Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/moonshine98/
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    thanks ^
    why would you use the OVF most of the time with this type of camera?
    If the metering and focusing system do a good job (like they do with the Ricoh GXR when using the A12 28 and 50 mm camera units), a clear, uncluttered optical viewfinder presents the least intrusive way to frame and shoot. I only use the EVF on the Ricoh with those camera units when I need more precise focus and framing control for specific shooting situations, the rest of the time I fit an optical viewfinder matched to the focal length.

    The same will be true of the X2.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    ok. thanks again

  31. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If the metering and focusing system do a good job (like they do with the Ricoh GXR when using the A12 28 and 50 mm camera units), a clear, uncluttered optical viewfinder presents the least intrusive way to frame and shoot. I only use the EVF on the Ricoh with those camera units when I need more precise focus and framing control for specific shooting situations, the rest of the time I fit an optical viewfinder matched to the focal length.

    The same will be true of the X2.
    So for travels and photographing people on the streets etc the OVF would be your choice? But how does one know what is in focus with the OVF?

  32. #32
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    So for travels and photographing people on the streets etc the OVF would be your choice? But how does one know what is in focus with the OVF?
    Remember this part of my previous comment: "If the metering and focusing system do a good job..." With the GXR, I set the focusing system to SpotAF with the sensitive spot in the center of the field of view. I learn what that means with relation to the viewfinder. From that point on, I put the hot spot on the subject, half-press to let the camera focus, then reframe and make the exposure. The same routine will work with the X2.

    Of course, there are limits to accuracy with this—it's easier to get good results with the 28mm camera unit than with the 50mm camera unit, for instance, when shooting with the GXR. So when I'm in doubt, I check my focus with the review after the shot, and reshoot if it was off. When I can. And when focusing is critical or I really have to get the shots on the first try, I'd either use the LCD or take the OVF off and fit the EVF.

    People and street shooting are rarely that critical. You stop down to f/5.6 or f/8 with an APS-C camera and a 35mm lens for plenty of DoF and don't worry about it too much. Expression and timing are far more important than critical focus in most situations.

  33. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    thank you Godfrey. i have a lot to learn in using this camera!

  34. #34
    Senior Member mathomas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Thanks for posting this. A really great review, insanely good image quality, and unfortunately has me considering getting an X2. Sigh.

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Place, WA.
    Posts
    790
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Same here.

  36. #36
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    The image quality reminds me of my E-P1 and the examples I have seen from the X-Pro1, X100, GRX, D800, M9, M8, Nex 7, Nex 5, and a whole host of other great cameras. I think the X2 will be another great camera too.

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    is there a thumbs up for the X2?

  38. #38
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,499
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    is there a thumbs up for the X2?
    If the camera blows your hair back, go for it. It looks like a nice little camera. The form factor is so personal, but it is that that usually separates what I use with what I don't. Are there cheaper alternative tat will do the same thing, yes, are there more flexible systems, yes, but that may not really do it for you. Life is short and photography can at least be fun.

    Just don't let those D800 shooters give you $h1t about your tiny camera...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Can the X2 take screw on filters, like ND?

  40. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    408
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Can the X2 take screw on filters, like ND?
    no i don't think so

  41. #41
    Member gilpen123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Want one......

  42. #42
    rcoles
    Guest

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    There is a third party adapter that will take 49mm filters. I have used it with a step-down ring and 46mm Leica filters and it works fine. It was made for the X1 but also works on the X2. Here is the link: Leica X1 49mm filter, Leica X1 filter adapter tube, Leica X1 X-1 Adapter Tube
    Bob

  43. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by RAM View Post
    X2 does not seem to get much respect - why not? Is it just because it has a fixed lens? IQ at least of the X1 seems very good and X2 maybe better. What is the beef?-
    Put it side by side with the cheaper Fujifilm X100 and you get your answer

    The real "mini" Leica M is the X100 with a built in optical viewfinder with parallax corrected frame lines, a fast f2 lens, and manual controls with aperture rings and shutter speed dials.

    The Leica X2 is a really nice camera, so much so I made a trip to the Leica store to get some time with it. The camera is well built and feels very good in the hands, but I knew it wouldn't use it as much without a proper optical viewfinder, and while the clip on EVF I tried is no worse than other competing EVFs (it is after all made by Epson for Olympus and Leica), I'm not sure I want to give up the X100's brilliant M-like viewfinder.

    I think what I really like about it is the Leica cachet behind it. :P

    David Teo
    http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    What's not to like, it has the red Leica logo on it! :P
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  45. #45
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,929
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by David Teo View Post
    Put it side by side with the cheaper Fujifilm X100 and you get your answer

    The real "mini" Leica M is the X100 with a built in optical viewfinder with parallax corrected frame lines, a fast f2 lens, and manual controls with aperture rings and shutter speed dials. ...
    different strokes.

    First time I saw an X100 in pictures, my gut said "I want one!"
    First time I handled one in the flesh, my hands said "Yuck!"

    First time I saw an X1 in pictures, my gut said, "Cute."
    First time I handled an X1 in the flesh, my hands said "Perfect!"
    But my wallet said "Empty."

    Handled an X100 again two weeks ago. Hands still say "Yuck!"
    Handled an X2 at the same time. Hands still say "Yes!!"
    Wallet is comfortably plump at present.

    I follow the Hands. ...

  46. #46
    s38
    Guest

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    ...aslo, X100 is a Leica wanna be, X1-2 is an original. X100 lens has a bit of distortion, the Elmarit doesn't. The X100 is an appliance-it takes videos, it can make coffee, beef stew etc. The X1-2 takes photographs, that's it, plain and simple.

  47. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by s38 View Post
    ...aslo, X100 is a Leica wanna be, X1-2 is an original. X100 lens has a bit of distortion, the Elmarit doesn't. The X100 is an appliance-it takes videos, it can make coffee, beef stew etc. The X1-2 takes photographs, that's it, plain and simple.
    hahaha.... you are entitled to your opinions (as is everyone here) but if I were a betting person I would put money on the fact your opinions will change 180 degrees if the X100 was made by Leica, with the red dot seal of approval, and the X2 was made by Fujifilm, or Panasonic, or Sony, or any Japanese camera company....

    And there's nothing wrong with that. I would want one myself, simply because it's made by Leica, except that I went to the store to check it out and couldn't get past the lack of a viewfinder, and the EVF / OVF attachment hump absolutely spoils the look....

    But don't slam the X100 unless you've used it. If one is looking for a mini Leica M with a fixed 35mm field of view complete with parallax corrected frame lines in a window finder, this is it!

    David Teo
    David Teo Boon Hwee | Anecdotes and muses about the photographic life

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    different strokes.

    First time I saw an X100 in pictures, my gut said "I want one!"
    First time I handled one in the flesh, my hands said "Yuck!"

    First time I saw an X1 in pictures, my gut said, "Cute."
    First time I handled an X1 in the flesh, my hands said "Perfect!"
    But my wallet said "Empty."

    Handled an X100 again two weeks ago. Hands still say "Yuck!"
    Handled an X2 at the same time. Hands still say "Yes!!"
    Wallet is comfortably plump at present.

    I follow the Hands. ...
    true, use the one most comfortable for you!

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Same thing w/ Apple though, the X2 is made for people who just wants simplicity and it's a joy to use in one overall package, although it might not be the best at anything by itself.

    Of course the red dot is like the glowing Apple. Design is definitely a big part of it, and it isn't cheap. It's hard to design something timeless. Look how good the Apple notebooks age. The X line is also a timeless design.

    With that said, my wife is in love w/ the X2, but for me, I find the missing features limiting (real image stabilization, f2.0 lens, and more options in the firmware would be useful).

  50. #50
    s38
    Guest

    Re: X2 any thoughts??

    Quote Originally Posted by David Teo View Post
    hahaha.... you are entitled to your opinions (as is everyone here) but if I were a betting person I would put money on the fact your opinions will change 180 degrees if the X100 was made by Leica, with the red dot seal of approval, and the X2 was made by Fujifilm, or Panasonic, or Sony, or any Japanese camera company....

    And there's nothing wrong with that. I would want one myself, simply because it's made by Leica, except that I went to the store to check it out and couldn't get past the lack of a viewfinder, and the EVF / OVF attachment hump absolutely spoils the look....

    But don't slam the X100 unless you've used it. If one is looking for a mini Leica M with a fixed 35mm field of view complete with parallax corrected frame lines in a window finder, this is it!

    David Teo
    David Teo Boon Hwee | Anecdotes and muses about the photographic life
    I wouldn't buy a BMW M5 if it had a Toyota motor in it...X100 is made to look like Leica M9...btw, the X1-2 looks like Barnack's Leica:

    Oscar Barnack: One Glorious Badass | Artists with Swagger (More Badassery)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •