The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M-M Higher resolution, Really? Thinking this through a bit...

Brian S

a "Bayer Pattern Mosaic Filter" has two green pixels. The Sony sensor used in the Coolpix 950 and many others uses a different pattern, has four different colors for the 2x2 Mosaic sites.

The M9 uses the Bayer pattern (named after the engineer at Kodak that originated it), so the easiest thing to do is to just average the two green cells.

Hosermage

I see, you're talking about working within the constraints of the current sensor and using a purely software solution. My bad, I should have read more carefully.

Brian S

The original Kodak KAF-1300 did not use a Bayer pattern, the DCS200c was the first to use it.

Kodak even made a special mosaic filter for a color infrared camera, a DCS460cir. It basically emulated Infrared Ektachrome. The 2x2 site had dye's that operated in visible and infrared.

Okay- Leica has come out with the M9M...

M9cir anyone...

Hosermage

I got curious and downloaded the RPP software and gave it a go...

Left is lightroom with original DNG unprocessed viewed at 1:2 scale, and right is the 1:1 view in the RPP software. I think I prefer the left :p

Brian S

Well that saved me some time writing code!

The left looks better to me as well. it would be interesting to try on images that suffer from moire.

etrigan63

The reason for two green pixels is because we evolved under a Class-G, Dwarf Yellow star. Our eyes filter out yellow naturally. Green is the complement of yellow on the color wheel and the reason plants are green is because it is the most efficient way to absorb yellow light.

Had we evolved in a star system with a red sun or a blue-white sun things would look very different to us.

Hmmm, thinking on that, Superman must have a pretty interesting view of the world (when he isn't viewing beyond the visible spectrum). The next time they do a reboot, they might have him diagnosed with some sort of color vision disorder as a kid.

Tim Gray

Well that saved me some time writing code!

The left looks better to me as well. it would be interesting to try on images that suffer from moire.
From the limited amount of time I've played around with RPP, the one thing that struck me is that it would take more than a limited amount of time to get good results out of it. That's not a criticism by the way. Lightroom and ACR handle color and contrast in a way that might initially seem 'better', but at times, I think it's just more saturated/contrasty. As in, I find LR/ACR's defaults to be a bit more 'amped up'.