The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

feedback/ Leitz Leica 50mm F1.4 Summilux pre-ASPH Titanium

JeffWarren

I have tried to research this lens but am striking out for the most part..any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Its being auctioned on ebay now & i have put in a bid.

I would use this lens not hold it for its potential collectors increase in value.

It would be used on my M9-p Black. (not that color makes a difference)

Would I be better off staying away from the titanium edition (i dont know if there is any value in the build quality or performance of the lens)

Thanks in advance

Tim Gray

Cool lens. Don't think there is anything special to it other than it's finish. It should have the same performance as non-titanium 50 pre-ASPHs. Which are nice lenses. So whatever applies to them should apply to the titanium version too. They certainly have a distinctive look. You'll probably be able to get a non-titanium version of the lens for less. If prices start approaching $4k, the obvious alternative is the 50 ASPH, which should have better performance.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Jeff

Unless the titanium is important to you ....then you would be better with a less expensive alternative. The standard black chrome version (46mm pull out hood) is lighter ,the same formula and very popular (easy to buy and sell). The chrome and black paint versions are brass bodies and mounts . Same formula but these are a joy to work with . The focus mount is very smooth and the lenses have a weight that is nice . They are of course expensive .

What is enjoyed most about this lens is the versatility . An older design with greater uncorrected aberrations ....at large F stops ...the images have a smooth look and a glow to the highlights . This character makes great portraits and has a timeless look . But stopping down to f5.6 the lens becomes very sharp .

The newer 50/1.4 asph is sharp and high contrast right from f1.4 ..making it usable for almost anything wide open . This is one of Leica s all time most popular lenses . It has a different character that comes from being very sharp and high contrast . The two lenses are debated endlessly on the forums.

JeffWarren

Thank you both Rodger and Tim. Your feedback is appreciated. I think i am leaning toward "the older design" as Rodger put it. Again thanks for your feedback and have a great weekend.

Hosermage

Jeff, Kebebe (a forum member) had one for sale at $3000, few weeks back. I don't know if he sold it yet, but in case the auction didn't work out, you may want to send him a PM. He also had a titanium 35mm lux pre-asph, in case you're looking for a pair ;-) He's also in Socal, which is nice to check out the lens in person.

JeffWarren

Thanks David I might give him a shout if the auction doesn't work out. As of now I am top bidder @ 2,247.00..with 14 some odd hrs to go so we shall see.

BTW i was looking at your day at the cerritos library collection and it inspired me to head to the bowers museum today with the family. Thanks for that. My son is five and in constant movement great practice to be sure...daughter is two and just as fast just a smaller target. Great stuff all around..

Hosermage

Great! It looks like a nice place to visit, I'll definitely check it out next time :) BTW, we're thinking about going to the strawberry festival at Oxnard tomorrow. There's another one in garden grove during the Memorial weekend, but we won't be able to make it. Just in case you're bored :D