The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MM DNG - Part 6 - Grandpa

jonoslack

HI There
This is the sixth part of the experiment - Thank you so much for chipping in on the other five shots (which are still available for download for a day or so).

this is a favourite of mine - one of the wonderful things about shooting in China is that nobody every minds you taking pictures of their children - this wonderful grandfather certainly didn't imagine that he would be in the picture as well.

It might not be gritty and cutting edge, but it's a reflection of one of the things I really liked about China

You can play with the file, and then you can post your conversion on this thread.

Enjoy!

Click on the Downloads link on the top right

This is my take - I'm sure you can do better

If interest continues, I'll keep posting the DNG files.

all the best

V

Vivek

Charming image it is!:thumbs:

Just a few adjustments here and there randomly in LR. The image quality is simply stunning!:thumbs:

I must say that I notice odd shaped OOF highlights in the hedge. This isn't what I would expect normally.

Brian S

Pulled up in LR3, Histogram looked Great.

Pulled up in Photoshop 7.0- adjusted to pull down the middle of the curve a bit.

and realize why.

Panatomic-x in Microdol, Nikon F Photomic "Bullseye" with the Incident meter attached.

Well, Kodak is not going to bring back Panatomic-X.

At least Leica brought back Monochrome Digital Cameras again!

(Hope you do not mind the comparison shot. The monochrome M9 made me think of this shot from 35 years ago)

Last edited:

D&A

Jono, never enough thanks, each time you make one of the M9M DNG's available for download. Like most have expressed, the image and subject matter itself transcends the technical aspects...and thats the way it should be with a lovely image such as this. Interestingly, I noticed that except for subtle differences,, unlike the interpreation of the other M9M DNG's the majority of this image that are posted in this thread are quite similar, including mine. I have my own hunch why and it's a testiment to the strength of the image itself. Here's mine....Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

skimmel

Here's my take. Reminds me a bit of a photo I made in Japan a couple of years ago (with M9).

(Can someone help me on posting images -- can't seem to get them to show up larger size within the post. Thanks.)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Charming image it is!:thumbs:

Just a few adjustments here and there randomly in LR. The image quality is simply stunning!:thumbs:

I must say that I notice odd shaped OOF highlights in the hedge. This isn't what I would expect normally.
Thank you Vivek. Of course, it would have been better had I used a larger aperture, but sometimes one wants to be safe rather than (out of focus) sorry!

Lots of nice interpretations here - Gary and Cindy I like especially.

all the best
Jono

Jono, Beautiful shot, this is opitimises the heart of personal photography. A moment captured, so meaningful to a small handful of people. I used my M9 & old beaten up Noctilux to shoot the birth of my son about 3 weeks ago, it's just so wonderful, only Leica.

I wondered if I might make a suggestion on a DNG, anything with a large smooth tonal transition, like gradation across the sky or something similar. I want to try pushing some boundaries on such an image to see how far it goes before posterising. I think we get two major traits from the M-M: 1. a very long tonal curve and 2. lots of data in each zone. The first being typical of analogue printing processes and the latter being more typical of film (where each zone can have equal amounts of data; in digital the sensor cannot capture equal amounts and each zone is halfed or logarithmic or something like that).

jonoslack

Jono, Beautiful shot, this is opitimises the heart of personal photography. A moment captured, so meaningful to a small handful of people. I used my M9 & old beaten up Noctilux to shoot the birth of my son about 3 weeks ago, it's just so wonderful, only Leica.
How wonderful - and CONGRATULATIONS!!!
I wondered if I might make a suggestion on a DNG, anything with a large smooth tonal transition, like gradation across the sky or something similar. I want to try pushing some boundaries on such an image to see how far it goes before posterising. I think we get two major traits from the M-M: 1. a very long tonal curve and 2. lots of data in each zone. The first being typical of analogue printing processes and the latter being more typical of film (where each zone can have equal amounts of data; in digital the sensor cannot capture equal amounts and each zone is halfed or logarithmic or something like that).
Your wish is my command! I've put up a seascape - this is much more difficult DNG file to work with - I think the exposure is probably pretty good - but as you'll see . . .it needs work.

All the best

V

Vivek

Thank you Vivek. Of course, it would have been better had I used a larger aperture, but sometimes one wants to be safe rather than (out of focus) sorry!

all the best
Jono
Hi Jono, That (OOF highlights) was not about the photo and definitely not about the photographer! Thanks a bunch again for the DNG files!:)

I was stuck by the rectangular/square highlights rather than the usual roundish ones. It will be interesting to see the images from the final firmware and how that works. ;)

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator

all the best
Jono
Thank you, Jono.

Cindy, how did you darken the background?
I used the preset in LR "Vignette 2". Then I went to CS5 and made some selective adjustments.

bensonga

I printed my version of Jono's image last night on Red River Paper's UltraPro Satin paper (12x12 in) with my 3880. The print is stunning. I know there are many sceptics re the Leica MM and the benefits for B&W images of a monochrome sensor.....not me. I hope Nikon or Canon will come out with something similar in the future.

Gary