The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with MM DNG - Part 7 - Seascape

jonoslack

Hi There
Grandpa was easy - this one is quite a lot more of a challenge :)

It was taken on a windy day on the Suffolk coast with the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar - it's perhaps not as sharp as it might have been, handheld in the wind.

N.B. Apologies for the dirty sensor - still, it all adds to the fun!

This is my take on it - certainly it was more work than any of the other files

all the best

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

Yes, more fun indeed! I'm sure I'll want to come back to this one later... so expect a couple of edits :D

Thanks again Jono - nothing beats being able to work directly with the raw files in our own work flow...

Brian

D&A

Hi There
Grandpa was easy - this one is quite a lot more of a challenge :)

It was taken on a windy day on the Suffolk coast with the Wide Angle Tri-Elmar - it's perhaps not as sharp as it might have been, handheld in the wind.

N.B. Apologies for the dirty sensor - still, it all adds to the fun!

This is my take on it - certainly it was more work than any of the other files

all the best
As Jono has alluded to....the seascape image may be the most diverse of the MM DNG's posted so far. Balancing exposure and tonality in the various zones certainly doesn't appear to be a 2 minute click on a preset. Thanks Jono!

Dave (D&A)

Ok here's an extreme edit ... I was trying to blow things up, I mean not make things bigger, I mean push the file beyond it's limits. I couldn't do it. No posterisation, nothing. In fact one thing I noticed in the sky especially above the trees was this grain appeared as I pushed the file, I mean real lovely gorgeous grain, it was like working with a scan from a 6x7 Mamiya 7 on PanF or something similar. I can't believe what Leica have done. Please Leica if you're listening, send me my Monochrom early!!! Pleaaase!

Another bizzarro thing is that the 100% JPG file is over 12MB!!! Figure that one out!

Another major, major concern of mine was what regarding the use of filters. i.e. in theory bringing home a colour file allows you to add filtration after the capture and not have any filter factors on the exposure during capture. I have previously tried putting a red filter on a colour image to darken skies and it failed miserably. I was truly worried I couldn't get the dark skies with the monochrom ... well my extreme edit did it with no red filter. Now a brick building in the foreground might mean selective editing, but still, we're on the way!

In testing against an M9 vs M-M file, I suspect we will see the higher ISO of the M-M + filter is going to WAY outperform colour filtration in post. Try adding a high contrast red or even low contrast blue filter and watch the details deteriorate into blotches, of course with M-M it just ain't gonna happen, but it does mean making the decision at the time of capture.

erudolph

Really just an experiment, since I've not uploaded a file to this forum before. I'm a PS user. The several last versions of LightRoom and Aperture do not run on my computer. The last two versions of Photoshop don't either. Soon it'll be time maybe for updating the hardware. It's a lovely image to experiment with - hard to go wrong... :)

Brian Mosley

Another rendition, higher contrast with softer clouds... the close up detail of this image is really, really impressive!

p.s. Jono, your sensor needs cleaning - is dust much of a problem?

Cheers

Brian

Petster

Thanks so much Jono for providing all the files. I'm so in love with this camera and it helps me so much to work on your files to somehow justify the investment. Especially the "bike" comparision was pretty helpful.

Here is my take.

Cheers.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thanks Jono,

I need to stop playing, otherwise I really want the M9M myself :D

Here is my take ....

jonoslack

p.s. Jono, your sensor needs cleaning - is dust much of a problem?

Cheers

Brian
Hi Brian
New cameras - dust is always a problem, it seems to settle down. In this case I plead my own fault, poor thing had been around China, lots of lens changes, without so much as a puff from a blower brush.

Mea Culpa

or you could construe it as an extra test . . . get rid of the pixie dust that jono added to make the challenge more of a challenge :)

Brian S

The histogram on this image was not as well populated as "grandpa", maybe 70% of the dynamic range is populated. Just normalized the image, scaled to the highest populated value.

For this image: I would have used a Red filter, or deep yellow (Y48)/Orange(O56).

DCS200ir (circa 1993) with R60 filter. Straight off of the sensor, resized with Photoshop.

I wonder if Leica will offer the M9M without an IR filter. It would be the best hand-held Visible+Infrared camera ever made. In addition to the best integral hand-held monochrome "visible only" camera ever made.

D&A

I wonder if Leica will offer the M9M without an IR filter. It would be the best hand-held Visible+Infrared camera ever made. In addition to the best integral hand-held monochrome "visible only" camera ever made.
I wonder if it would have been advantageous if Leica constructed the M9M with a weak(er) IR filter, something analogous to the M8. This way, B&W IR imagery would have been more versatile with this camera. Any reason they didn't go this route? I'm assume no one has tested the IR capability of this camera, so I simply assumed the IR filter is akin to the one in the M9? Anyone know or have any info regarding all this?

Dave (D&A)

Seascape

Good question Dave, as a current M8 shooter I have been wondering the same thing.

All the comparisons are to a M9, when to my mind the M8 is a more interesting B&W camera.

Brian S

Even with a monochrome camera- a weak IR filter akin to the M8 would lower the contrast and sharpness of the visible image. Most non-APO lenses have a focus shift in Infrared some are better than others. I'm also guessing that the IR cut filter will also shape the spectral response of the camera. Most IR absorbing filters or digital cameras also serve as a color-balance filter, ie they are visibly tinted. The IR cut filters on the original digital cameras were clear in visible. Those of the M8 and M9 are "greenish". I'm just happy to see the monochrome camera offered. But if they need someone to test an IR camera, I'll volunteer.

skimmel

Here's mine. Went with a bit of a split tone. I must say, the file held together very well even when I tried to push it hard.

D&A

I really enjoyed working with this one and find the possibilities almost endless :) Here is my take....

Dave (D&A)